MALMO ESMS Video Review - By Helicopter

Hi,

Hope this is ok.  I am now retired thanks to COVID and I began a new project where I hope to improve my new found video skills, to review Flight Simulation products and showcase some of my flying adventures.

Today, I review Malmo Airport in Sweden by Marcus Nyburg.   I think it is a wonderful piece of work and I showcase my little video here:-

https://youtu.be/Ab3MzeBIReg

I really hope you enjoy it and I am slowly improving my video capture and editing skills, as well as learning to fly the helicopter which I have found to be ideal for slow flight scenery product reviews.  I am happy to take comments but go easy on me - I only began this two weeks ago!

Thank you for watching,

Regards,

Lee

VirtualAirlinePilot.org

Edited by BAW9DV
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Laurie Doering said:

Great composition and editing! Cheers!

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for your kind comment! :)

Cheers,

Lee

Nice video! but I found it a bit too long to hold my attention.

When I first started producing films and videos for public consumption, the producer in charge told me two golden rules:

Keep all scenes to 8 seconds unless there's a very good reason to go longer 

Once you've done the edit you're happy with, go back and take another 50% out.  Watch the new shortened version and see if anything you took out is really missed.  9 times out of 10 it won't be!

IS there any reason your vc view isn't in the pilot's seat?  Not only doesn't it look right but the instruments hide half the scenery below!

Looking forward to your next one...

Cheers

John

1 hour ago, John Dow said:

Hi,

I back up John’s comment about segments that are not changing. As soon as the idea or point or scene is made, switch to something else.

Cheers!

4 hours ago, John Dow said:

Nice video! but I found it a bit too long to hold my attention.

When I first started producing films and videos for public consumption, the producer in charge told me two golden rules:

Once you've done the edit you're happy with, go back and take another 50% out.  Watch the new shortened version and see if anything you took out is really missed.  9 times out of 10 it won't be!

IS there any reason your vc view isn't in the pilot's seat?  Not only doesn't it look right but the instruments hide half the scenery below!

Looking forward to your next one...

Cheers

John

Hello John and Laurie,

Thank you for taking the time to watch the video - and your kind comments.   Yes, I agree about keeping the video short so as not to let attentions wander or viewers getting board!   I edit right on the time line and yes, much of the footage was shelved and cut to make the video not too long.

As I improve my skills, I will cut the scenes down and just try to get the best footage for the final cut.  Yes, I am mindful of video length.

As for the VC view, I thought long about this.  The virtual pilot in the Milviz Bell 407 (and the MilViz MD530F that I also have) is shown on the left seat when you look into the cabin - which is completely wrong as the PIC in a helicopter always sits on the right side, something I'd have thought the developers at MilViz would have known !!   

I am experimenting with where I will have the panel.   Right now, I seem to be able to get the best forward view and keep the instrument stack in view if I set the panel in the middle.   But I will keep experimenting!

Gents, I thank you for your kind comments and I will take them on board.

Really appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Lee

15 hours ago, BAW9DV said:

on the right side, something I'd have thought the developers

Might be time to invest in a TrackIR, the single best addition you can make to your flight simming.  

As for the pilot position, when I jump into the 407 I'm in yhe right seat, but in the MD530 it's the left seat, which is the default for that helicopter! It's the only one apart from a few Russian examples apparently. 

8 hours ago, John Dow said:

Might be time to invest in a TrackIR, the single best addition you can make to your flight simming.  

As for the pilot position, when I jump into the 407 I'm in yhe right seat, but in the MD530 it's the left seat, which is the default for that helicopter! It's the only one apart from a few Russian examples apparently. 

Hello John,

A friend of mine has ChasePlane and he suggests that I invest in it to improve my camera views.   I probably could not use TrackIR - its not something I could see myself getting on with to be honest.  However, this may change.

Years ago, when I was visiting Las Vegas on vacation with the family, we went to North Las Vegas Airport where they had an open day.  On the ramp was a Hughes 500 helicopter operated by the Las Vegas Police Department (similar to the MD 530F).   I chatted to the pilot for a while and he confirmed that pretty much every command pilot sits on the RIGHT in a helicopter - as distinct from the PIC in a fixed wing, who sits on the left;  Except, it would seem, in Russia! :-)

This little project is a new thing for me and I'm learning each day.   Thank you for your kind interest.

New video next sunday night!

cheers,

Lee

Maybe they sit right for commonality purposes but a google search tells me that the default side for the MD530 is the left seat, exactly as Milviz have it set. 

8 hours ago, John Dow said:

Maybe they sit right for commonality purposes but a google search tells me that the default side for the MD530 is the left seat, exactly as Milviz have it set. 

Hello John,

Well, that's weird!  But ok, I have learned something! :)

Again, thank you for your kind comments,

regards,

Lee

• Like 1