I would like to travel to Santiago de Chile one day, but today I will just leave it, virtually.

WJXqDND.jpg

Just like the commercial flights in my direction, this simulated one leaves around midnight, local time.

p4eep2m.jpg

Concepcion, the last spot of the South American continent on this trip.

JfkFcPM.jpg

You may guess where this is going. Hint: The only possible airport for emergencies around is la Isla de Pasqua, and this is still ETOPS 240...

N9Fi0Q3.jpg

At least our plane is reliable and makes landfall in New Zealand, ...

x0L9uIG.jpg

... near Gisbourne, which is hidden under a table cloth.

1Up5zX3.jpg

YZN6euY.jpg

Some decent mountains peek through the clouds as we pass Rotorua.

wW2pbcC.jpg

Gliding down ...

GkQOb7X.jpg

... over the Hunua Ranges NP ...

BUpEf2s.jpg

... into Auckland. Another place I´d like to see in real.

rcArnjV.jpg

A nice view of office and city, I felt.

OQAD5yx.jpg

Ready to land.

wWKN29l.jpg

rQp3T54.jpg

Deboarding in Corona times: All separate, with the bus, directly to testing and into the quarantine hotel.

sERbfeT.jpg

• Like 3

Great plane and great flight which reminds me of my own South Pacific crossings. The 777 can have up to ETOPS 330, so that Ushuaia and Christchurch can act as alternates. This can be problematic in the case of bad weather in either of the two, especially in Ushuaia. For a more northern route like you chose, Mataveri is of course a handy option.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Great plane and great flight which reminds me of my own South Pacific crossings. The 777 can have up to ETOPS 330, so that Ushuaia and Christchurch can act as alternates. This can be problematic in the case of bad weather in either of the two, especially in Ushuaia. For a more northern route like you chose, Mataveri is of course a handy option.

Thank you Lars, for watching & commenting. I have to check where Mataveri is, I did not see this as an alternate.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

You don't have to, Mataveri = Easter Island.

Again what learned, wie wir immer gerne sagen... :D

6 hours ago, musterpilot said:

Great shots

John

Thank you John!

3 hours ago, adambar said:

Terrific shots Gerold. :)

Thanks Adam.

• Upvote 1

a very great tour Gerold ! Sure Thorin Oakenshield and Mister Baggins liked B) And maybe the dwarfs team did not agree to be tested at their arrival a dwarf should be too strong to be contamined and too proud to be tested as a weak human ... :rolleyes:

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, jean marc said:

a very great tour Gerold ! Sure Thorin Oakenshield and Mister Baggins liked B) And maybe the dwarfs team did not agree to be tested at their arrival a dwarf should be too strong to be contamined and too proud to be tested as a weak human ... :rolleyes:

First of all thanks for commenting, Jean Marc!

And - after short thinking - you are totally right: dwarfs would surely refuse to be tested by lower lifeforms that do not even live in caves.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Laurie Doering said:

Some sweet shots. I love the New Zealand Air paint!

Thank you Laurie. I don´t know who has made this paint, but it surely is a great work.

5 hours ago, Orbxtreme said:

Very nice flight, something I would have problem to do with my old set-up. Gut gemacht!

Merci Francois. My rig was built in 2012, updated with some RAM and a more actual GPU for p3d in 2017 - and still working acceptable. We´ll see how far it takes me!

8 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice shots.  I was ETOPS qualified, it's a lot of work to keep these ETOPS jets up to speed.  Flying on one engine for so long must be unnerving for the pilots though.

Oh yes, 4 hours far away from land... no fun with only one engine...!

• Like 1