hello to all, ok my hard drive shows 70% still some what ok but have to  replace it I did a image back up, computer win7 has i7 operation I know win 7 not  supported . all that said, those that change to solid state was it a good thing or not?  I have fsx with lots of Orbx no plans to change  due to my old age lol,  pro in cons ? thanks in advance ......

Jack, are you sure about this? I always thought that an SSD helps with faster loading scenery which results in less blurry ground textures, especially with fast jets.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 1

I don't know if Jack is right about not helping the sim itself go faster, but for me it made the load time for flights much, MUCH faster. On HDD I could  prepare a meal, eat it, wash up and enjoy a cup of tea afterwards in the time it took to load a flight. Now I only have time to make the cuppa! And if you use an SSD for your boot drive, Windows will load much faster to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Jack,

I too have been wondering if it would be worthwhile to go to SSDs but the size of the job is a bit daunting and my system works fine on two 1tb drives,a GTX1070,water cooled cpu etc,so I have just enjoyed what I have,Doc.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

Jack, are you sure about this? I always thought that an SSD helps with faster loading scenery which results in less blurry ground textures, especially with fast jets.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hello,

as far as I am aware, the inability to display scenery is not due to the transfer of data from the disk but the inability of the simulator to process it.

Good evidence to support this would be the virtual impossibility to blur scenery for more than a few moments in P3D v4.5.13.32097, even after

slewing at thousands of virtual knots, versus the ease with which blurred scenery can be achieved at normal flying speed in earlier versions and FSX.

It is worth bearing in mind that someone who has just spent several hundred of their currency on a large SSD rarely visits a forum to state how little

difference it made to the performance. As Jack mentions, the difference in initial loading times is not in dispute and very well documented.

• Like 2

ok thanks to everyone great comments, as my 13 yr old hard drive is ready to burn out,  time to change   am  not to concern  with in the simulator flying,  but I like the be able to down load programs a little faster,  so ok with that...I also did research and agree with jack. again every one that posted thanks....... 

Just one more comment..............

This is some info I posted in an earlier thread. The only thing I'd add is to say that all of the external drives were mounted in a USB3 docking station. All mileage is, of course,  variable.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my admittedly-unscientific look at FSX load times with varying drive configurations. These times are the
average of three executions of FSX for each scenario. I see no reason why the results for P3D wouldn't trend the
same.The only add-on is a complete set of Orbx scenery. I saw NO difference in in-game performance no matter which
drive was being used.

My bottom-line? You can run FSX/P3D from any drive you chose and the only penalty is going to be the initial load
time. But, you may already know that.........

Internal SSD                 Reference
External SSD               + 54 seconds
Internal HDD -  7200 RPM   +112 seconds
External HDD - 10000 RPM   +157 seconds
External HDD -  7200 RPM   +201 seconds
External HDD -  5400 RPM   +236 seconds 

• Like 1

Switched from many Sata drives a year or 2 ago to SSD, and was no problem at all.  No imaging or ghosting involved for games drives. I just bought a 1000GB SSD, copy pasted everything onto it, gave it the same drive letter as the old drive and that was it, done it like that a few times for game drives.  Drive c with Windows was a bit more effort and I used a free ghosting software but for games only drives it was very simple.   My C drive has always been windows only.