Personally,

I think it's seen it's better days.  I still have it installed and occasionally I will fire it up to fly some FSX only compatible planes.  I really love the super crisp ground textures when  taxiing around Orbx airports but outside of that, it's performance is really lacking.  I'm quickly reminded as to why I've abandoned it in the first place. 

Gary

• Like 2

From one who deleted their FSX immediately after installing P3Dv4. There are many times where I wish I still had access to FSX for default planes / gauges / etc.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

If you can, make a back up (preferably on an external drive).  You can delete it later.

While I "❤ed" Terrible T's comment, I am agonizing over converting to P3D.  My FSX runs beautifully except in the area around L A. My problem is with my immersive cockpit.  I have lots of hardware, and of course all that hardware has software that drives it.  Will that be compatible?  How many hours (and hours, and hours) is it going to take to get it to work, before I give up, spend $100s on a replacement that may not work as well as what I have now.  

My FSX computer was built by JetLine,  so when I take the plunge I have help and support, but I'm still dreading it!

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
Spelling
  • Like 1
57 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

If you can, make a back up (preferably on an external drive).  You can delete it later.

While I "❤ed" Terrible T's comment, I am agonizing over converting to P3D.  My FSX runs beautifully except in the area around L A. My problem is with my immersive cockpit.  I have lots of hardware, and of course all that hardware has software that drives it.  Will that be compatible?  How many hours (and hours, and hours) is it going to take to get it to work, before I give up, spend $100s on a replacement that may not work as well as what I have now.  

My FSX computer was built by JetLine,  so when I take the plunge I have help and support, but I'm still dreading it!

Ken

I know it’s hard to rid of FSX as well because I have so many FSX addon thousands of dollars worth ...and a lot of those addon the developer never moved over to prepar v4 and some of them said they are not planning on porting those over from FSX..plus most of Orbx newer products are for either Xplane or Prepar 4 and v5 so that’s my dilemma .

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hello,

the decision is yours, I have kept mine and use it from time to time to fly aircraft

that have not been made compatible with P3D v4+

Disk space is not expensive, it does not need an SSD.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
On 6/25/2020 at 1:45 AM, TerribleT said:

I'm an FSX dinosaur and loving it still - does everything I want in a simulator and I have heaps of great addons for it (including a lot of Orbx of course)

And no update stress. I'm feeling I'm getting very annoyed and stressed by all the troubles each new version of P3D brings and the so called compatible products along with it. I haven't flown for a few weeks because of this, hence not seeing me posting here for a while. Pure frustration. FSX, not being updated has a kind of serenity over it. Maybe I just stick with P3D v4 for a while since that version has stopped developing and wait for all the teething problems in V5 to be over.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Ocasionally you'll find yourself in the situation to install a product that was designed for FSX, so that the installers point to FSX only, so FSX still has its uses for me.

If I remember correctly from my P3d times there is a go around for this without needing FSX. But maybe I'm wrong.

With the great performance coming from P3Dv5HF2...as well as the fabulous water and now PBR corrections and visual improvements,...I suggest that by NOT HAVING P3Dv5HF2...you are truly missing out on many improved and upgraded as well as added visuals and features...like being able (which is great!) to preview any time of day in the 24 hours, any season, any month....and if you like it...want it...in real time...can just tell P3D to change out...with no need to restart your entire flight.   That to myself is a powerful feature not present in FSX, etc...

Edited by Orbx Flyer
5 hours ago, wolfko said:

If I remember correctly from my P3d times there is a go around for this without needing FSX. But maybe I'm wrong.

Yes.  Simply create an FSX Folder on your C: drive and then create a notepad text file called FSX.txt.

Then just change the *.txt extension to EXE so that you now have a text file called FSX.EXE - and you can usually fool the installer to install the scenery there.

After that, you can then move the scenery folder structure into the P3D folder (or not as the case may be) and then add it to the Sim.

Worked for me a few times....

Lee

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, BAW9DV said:

Yes.  Simply create an FSX Folder on your C: drive and then create a notepad text file called FSX.txt.

Then just change the *.txt extension to EXE so that you now have a text file called FSX.EXE - and you can usually fool the installer to install the scenery there.

After that, you can then move the scenery folder structure into the P3D folder (or not as the case may be) and then add it to the Sim.

Worked for me a few times....

Lee

Aha? Interesting. 

2 hours ago, Orbx Flyer said:

With the great performance coming from P3Dv5HF2...as well as the fabulous water and now PBR corrections and visual improvements,...I suggest that by NOT HAVING P3Dv5HF2...you are truly missing out on many improved and upgraded as well as added visuals and features...like being able (which is great!) to preview any time of day in the 24 hours, any season, any month....and if you like it...want it...in real time...can just tell P3D to change out...with no need to restart your entire flight.   That to myself is a powerful feature not present in FSX, etc...

Yes, looking forward to something like this - but I'm staying with P3Dv4.5 for the moment.   

Usually its good practice to let a completely new version have some time before you make the jump.   Gives time to work out the bugs, allow developers to adapt their work to the newer version and also to see what problems come up on forums such as this.....

I used FS9 (FS2004) for a long time and enjoyed every minute of it and it's stability.   Then I moved onto FSX Steam Edition (far more stable than the original MS FSX) and again, once I had learned to manage the Out-Of-Memory (OOM) issues, I had a really nice, visually pleasing and stable simulation.

More recently, having resolved some legal issues (for me), I was able to move to P3Dv4.5 (Pro Licence) and am now having a really great time with a stable, visually stunning simulation!

I will go up to version 5.0 at some stage - but not quite yet.   My virtual flying career is full of enjoyment.

So in summary, yes, going to P3D has great advantages.   If you have the room to keep FSX and it is stable enough for you (and enjoyable!), sure, keep it somewhere you can access it, especially if you have aircraft that only work in FSX.

The choice is yours.   

Lee

1 minute ago, Captain Lars said:

Aha? Interesting. 

Forgot to add ....

place the newly created FSX.EXE file INSIDE the new FSX folder

Lee

• Thanks 1

I am an old guy on a fixed income, my Pc wont run Prepar3D  , so I don't have any choice but to stick with FSX . I suspect technology will catch up with all of you one day .

So enjoy it whilst you can.

Regards 

• Like 3

:)I use FSX-SE. I use Orbx global and vector on it and just a few airports and land classes You cant load it up with scenery because of the "out of memory problem" but its still great.

I install  all my old military base stuff that does not work in new sims, and also install the STB CVN 65 and do carrier landings. I still have a lot of fun with it and will keep using it for a very long time. 

Edited by Toto-Free
  • Like 1

FSX is still my main SIM and fly all over the UK and Europe using Orbx scenery, still continues to impress me. I also have P3D 4.5 though for some reason keep on coming back to FSX :)

• Like 2

Asking the question is really the answer.

I now use FSXSE with Steve DX10fixer and Orbx sceneries.

As mentioned, once you figure out the way around OOMs, it is a very stable and enjoyable simulator.

Cheers,

Pierre

note: MU2B over PNW

2016-5-23_20-11-23-753_1.jpg

• Like 5

I suppose that from now until the 18th August, no one will be able to resist mentioning

it at every opportunity, regardless of how little it may have to do with the subject of the topic.

In any case all the options are now covered in this topic, so it can be closed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2