Hello all, 

The first time I've flown to EGNM was in V4.5 and everything was great and Vram usage was under control. I have made the update to V5 HF1 and even in the default f35 that p3d ships with, I am seeing Vram go up so high that my 1070 ti is overwhelmed and causes a CTD. I know HF1 faces Vram issues but nothing as astronomical as EGNM. This only seems to be happening there and I have no issue at any other Orbx airport.

Thanks, 

Edward McDonagh.

8 hours ago, Edward1546 said:

Hello all, 

The first time I've flown to EGNM was in V4.5 and everything was great and Vram usage was under control. I have made the update to V5 HF1 and even in the default f35 that p3d ships with, I am seeing Vram go up so high that my 1070 ti is overwhelmed and causes a CTD. I know HF1 faces Vram issues but nothing as astronomical as EGNM. This only seems to be happening there and I have no issue at any other Orbx airport.

Thanks, 

Edward McDonagh.

Hi Edward -

I’m one of the Beta Testers and am able to repeat what you’re seeing in terms of a VRAM CTD with HF1, Windows 2004 update....strange.

Let me play with my own installation a bit....what are your current settings Please?

Thanks,

Steve

59 minutes ago, Steve Colbert said:

Hi Edward -

I’m one of the Beta Testers and am able to repeat what you’re seeing in terms of a VRAM CTD with HF1, Windows 2004 update....strange.

Let me play with my own installation a bit....what are your current settings Please?

Thanks,

Steve

OK...here's what I found...  @Greg Jones, this DOES seem strange - compared to EGNX in the same area, for example, or other Orbx and non-Orbx complex airports (ex. Mr. Womack's KPDX), my VRAM is far higher at EGNM with the exact same settings.

Is there perhaps a way to give some of the higher res textures lower res textures as a selectable option in OC, similar to KFHR - in my own P3Dv5 settings I've selected 2048 textures which works quite well?

Thanks,

Steve

Much lower VRAM usage at EGNX

2020-6-19_19-37-21-159.jpg

Compared to the same aircraft at EGNM at the same settings and with the same aircraft - even Carenado "Lite" aircraft CTD due to VRAM here (even with the Windows 2004 update and P3Dv5 HF1) - something is using up a great deal of VRAM here at this lovely (but relatively small) airport?

2020-6-19_19-30-49-119.jpg

2020-6-19_19-30-34-820.jpg

Thanks,

Steve

Hi, 

These are the only products installed in V5 now (in the V5 root directory as I originally had all of my scenery in a library on another HDD).

image.thumb.png.68ce1e8b912a6758b5df012f3559f7e4.png

Under is with the EGNM with all autogen removed and scenery complexity normal 

image.png.1dde8c18df3b53819d398e8fc21cf6ab.png

image.png.7280847d3a5433414fc3241641648b20.png

Now here is the default EGNM with the same settings

image.png.6c2206a7f01164bf5d9d186ad99a9d29.png

Thanks,

Edward.

Edited by Edward1546

Hello Edward,

one can see that your base line VRAM usage is much higher than my 1.3 without and 2.1 with.

It seems that EGNM is adding 800 MB for me but 2 GB for you

My advice would be to select the "Default" settings profile, see how your VRAM usage

is and then add in your preferred settings until you see which ones are causing the increase.

The settings with the most pronounced effect are autogen and texture resolution.

Hi Nick, 

Here is default settings with EGNM active: 

3.2 out of 6.7 GB 

I have proceeded to change some other settings with minimal VRAM usage increase until I have changed the texture quality from 1024x1024 to 2048x2048. 

To see how much of an increase I've reverted back to stock leaving the textures at 2048 and the VRAM has increased to 4.6 out of 6.7GB (apologies I for some reason can no longer add a screenshot). 

Regards,

Edward.

Hi

I've come across this issue too.  I haven't flown into EGNM for a while but just before the H2 release a couple of days ago, I got a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG message and CTD.  After installing H2, there is no change, same happens before I've even reached the glideslope.  Screenshot showing the vram usage.  Without EGNM installed, vram is about 2gb lower.

EGNM CTD3.JPG

EGNM CTD4.JPG

Have you tried disabling the static landside cars? I remember flying there in v4 gave me severe stutters as soon as those cars were enabled. So they seem to be a source for issues, for whatever the reasons might be. So perhaps they are also responsible for your crash? It's worth a try I'd say. VRAM usage does indeed seem to be excessive for an airport this size.

Thanks @mburkhard

I'll give that a try. 

I have been pondering whether there's an issue with my p3d installation as I'm generally using 4.0 - 4.2 vram whilst flying around the UK with GBTE installed whereas I'm sure I was using about 3.0 before HF2.  Is that level of vram normal do you know?  If not I might try a complete uninstall and reinstall of p3d. 

12 hours ago, The Badger said:

Thanks @mburkhard

I'll give that a try. 

I have been pondering whether there's an issue with my p3d installation as I'm generally using 4.0 - 4.2 vram whilst flying around the UK with GBTE installed whereas I'm sure I was using about 3.0 before HF2.  Is that level of vram normal do you know?  If not I might try a complete uninstall and reinstall of p3d. 

As I'm not using TrueEarth I can't comment on its VRAM usage. However it does seem odd that you'd see 1GB more of VRAM usage simply due to the installation of HF2.

So, I tried removing the static landside cars but that didn't help.  I also reinstalled my GPU Driver, uninstalled P3D completely and reinstalled using the process outlined on this forum, reduced some settings down but still get the crashes at EGNM.

I've also noted a large increase in vram at EGPH and also whilst flying over EGPN at 16,000ft.  VRAM increased to 6+ although I managed to get past EGPN and land at EGPH without a CTD.  It seems that HF2 has been the cause of this as I had no issues with P3D under HF1 at all.  I just wish I could revert to that version but I didn't keep the install files.

Just reduced texture resolution from 2048 to 1024 and vram use at EGNM reduced by about 1gb so that should now be very useable.  Shame that I've needed to reduce that but that's the impact of HF2 I suppose. 

The impact of flying from EGNM is also very visible on my system: P3Dv5 HF2 with Orbx FTX England (not TE), RTX2080/8GB. Compared to many other Orbx fields EGNM stands out in using VRAM. I compared this to EGPH with FTX Scotland and this shows significantly less load with the same settings and planes.

I know there is investigation currently going on at Prepar3d especially for the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG caused by running out of VRAM. Hopefully this is repaired in a next hotfix soon. But if EGNM's excessive use of resources can be fixed this makes life a lot easier. The current load makes flying with VR extremely difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just wanted to put myself forward as a +1 for this issue; there is definitely something eating up a very large portion of VRAM in this scenery.

If I load a scenario on stand with Aerosoft A321 VRAM is immediately at 6.4gb. As soon as I trigger GSX service vehicles/steps etc. then it crashes out. Performance from a FPS perspective seems fine.

By comparison other Orbx sceneries (plus detailed/complex ones from other devs/publishers) I have such as Dubrovnik, Edinburgh, East Midlands and Arlanda load on stand with VRAM between 4.2 to 4.6 VRAM generally.

I have a GTX 2070 Super with 8GB.

As it stands the issue makes this airport unusable. I’m guessing the problem might be something which has always been there; but was previously masked by how DX11 would utilise shared VRAM in P3D v4. Now we’re on DX12 with v5 it’s exposing the issue.

I wonder if there is anyone still running EGNM in v4 and could compare VRAM usage and possibly see if it’s is comparably high and swapping into shared VRAM?

Many thanks,

Mike

• Upvote 2
  • 4 months later...

I am not seeing this.  I just did load up a flight with FSLabs A320 with EGNM on top of Orbx EU FTX with utLive 2 Addon with EA on in the sim.  It was like normal 4.5-4.7gb of VRAM with 2070 Super.  

I will try it again and see what happens

• 4 weeks later...