Next Orbx Region  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Which area should Orbx do next as a Landclass Region?

• Italy
    • Greece
    • The Iberian Peninsula
    • The Alps
    • Japan
    • (South) Korea
    • Thailand
    • The Himalayas
    • Patagonia
    • Sao Paulo / Rio de Janeiro

Multiple Choice Poll (vote as many options as you like)

Free from the heart: which of the above mentioned areas would you prefer to be done by Orbx as a 'traditional' landclass region?

Edited by Captain Lars
  • Like 3

Naturally I would like Thailand but I wonder if it would sell enough but I am sure Japan would be popular!

The bottom line for me is that I would buy wherever they bring out.:lol:

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I do not even remember which was the last one... must be long time ago?

And I do not remember any teasing roadmap at all. Really quiet about landclasses...

Nevertheless, Lars, your impulses are great. We should not forget to keep OLC Asia in the discussions, but surely I vote here as well.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

TE doesn't suit my type of flying so far.

May I ask you why? For me TE is the only "as real as it gets", in my case in XP11 though.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, wolfko said:

May I ask you why? For me TE is the only "as real as it gets", in my case in XP11 though.

For me, simply put is the lack of seasons. I love being able to fly in all of the seasons. Winter flying is some of my favorite.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3
47 minutes ago, wolfko said:

It's a lot of disk space needed for TE that doesn't pay off in terms of scenery. A landclass region is already on the edge of what's feasible for someone that's flying mostly in an altitude of 30,000ft and above. The nonexistence of seasons/winter is an absolute no-go. 

I would fly into any part of the world as long as there are quite some PW airports there. I would love to fly in Thailand, Patagonia or Korea,... but I voted for Italy & the Alps because there is quite some airport infrastructure there. Other people might think different, but for me personally, a region is unattractive if there are zero (of very few) airports, or let's better say small atmospheric airfields there to fly to. That's why I still fly a lot in the PNW and in Southern England, but hardly in Ireland or in NZNI and I didn't even purchase TE Netherlands, even if I would concider this place very interesting and nice.

Unfortunately, I doubt that there would be an Orbx airfield infrastructure even nearly to the PNW or Southern England, if you would do Thailand, the Himalayas or Patagonia as a FF region. If yes, I would go for it without a doubt.

Cheers, Dominik

Edited by DeeJay
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, PFS said:

Still yearning for the Southern Rockies region...

+1 Amen to that, TE stuff just doesn't cut it as far as "as real as it gets" goes. Without real weather and seasons, it just isn't as real as it gets, is it?

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Ripcord said:

Same here.  And in fact, I was shocked to not see this on your poll.

I would like this area too but considering the existing amount of regions for the USA I think I would rather have a whole new country instead... Products for the USA will never stop we just need time to see them coming. 

Cheers

Edited by carlosqr
  • Upvote 1

There have been no new FTX regions since SoCAL.  And that's been a couple years now.  

But yes, I would also like other countries as well.  Greece and Italy are great ideas.  Alps I suspect will happen in some form eventually.  I also like the thought of Thailand, and Japan, both of those, as well as Nepal (Himalayas).  I suggested that one years ago.

And hey, I'd really like Costa Rica and Panama!

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Ripcord said:

Same here.  And in fact, I was shocked to not see this on your poll.

Sorry to have shocked you. It wasn't on my bucket list, to be honest. Also, when I think of a region, I think more of a 'new' region rather than the extension of an existing one - which I would consider a Southern Rockies region to be.

Just now, Captain Lars said:

Sorry to have shocked you. It wasn't on my bucket list, to be honest. Also, when I think of a region, I think more of a 'new' region rather than the extension of an existing one - which I would consider a Southern Rockies region to be.

I'll recover from shock.

CRM and NRM are two separate regions, and SRM would also be a region.

There was, at one point, a map of SRM posted in a thread here.  So it was at least a concept in the works.  Not quite sure why it never materialized.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Ripcord said:

There have been no new FTX regions since SoCAL.  And that's been a couple years now.  

But yes, I would also like other countries as well.  Greece and Italy are great ideas.  Alps I suspect will happen in some form eventually.  I also like the thought of Thailand, and Japan, both of those, as well as Nepal (Himalayas).  I suggested that one years ago.

Yes actually all of the regions proposed are interesting

Costa Rica & Panama? Wow would I ever see that? :)

We need Orbx to hire more staff :lol:

I also wonder what happened with the Citsyscene division. They mentioned once that they will have one to create more cities. I have seen none since Charleston :(

Cheers Ripcord

18 minutes ago, Ripcord said:

13 minutes ago, carlosqr said:

Costa Rica & Panama? Wow would I ever see that? :)

Now I feel bad that I didn't give these and SRM as options...

4 minutes ago, Ripcord said:

Neil (RIP) noted that there was an NEM and SRM both mapped out.  It didn't make the cut.

Interesting. My guess would be that we are going to see the next region when we have seen how MSFS is doing. We must not speculate though, or else Nick Cooper will close this thread. :P

• Haha 1

Four years ago! :o

Before I even joined

And it seems it is not even decided :(

I would like to know how much work, time, money, staff, resources a region requires so  I can understand this long time on hold.

How do you guys at Orbx work? Each on your own? in teams? some do a part others another and then join or how is a region built?

If you don't mind me asking so, just very curious about how it is behind the stage.

Cheers

Carlos

2 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

:lol::lol:

Let's see if we can get any feedback about these or anything first then a second poll could be issued >:D

4 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

Interesting. My guess would be that we are going to see the next region when we have seen how MSFS is doing. We must not speculate though, or else Nick Cooper will close this thread. 

Somehow I feel MFS2020 is approaching like a meteor. Let's hope we can get lots more from Orbx before that.

And also that the FD2020 be as good as announced...that is an important fact to see

I picked Thailand because there's nothing out there for this region. I predict that it will be epic!

I did not pick Italy because there's a very nice freeware version. I also want an Orbx Greece but I doubt that they will venture into those Islands. OBRX has not been able to do ALL the Hawaiian Islands, I doubt that they would even consider such a huge project.

Lastly, maybe you have not heard that there's a new sim that is going to be released that will bring us most of the world rendered in Orbx TE fashion.

That's what really excites me!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
13 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

No need to feel bad, Lars.  You simply can't win when it comes to trying to pick what region to make next as everybody has their own preferences.

This is why I prefer openLC as opposed to region scenery, as it covers a very large area and is a huge improvement over the default scenery.

Sadly, I don't believe that Orbx is interested in making any more openLC or regional scenery for P3D.  IMO they're already moving on to MSFS2020.  Yeah, they still have their contract developers making airports, but I think that's the extent of their P3D development.  I could be wrong of course.

Dave

• Like 1
14 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Somehow I feel MFS2020 is approaching like a meteor.

And I have the feeling that everyone is sitting in front of that release like the rabbit in front of a snake. Just a little share-up with p3dv5, but nothing new.

Therefore this poll creating a customer picture is great!

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

For me, simply put is the lack of seasons. I love being able to fly in all of the seasons. Winter flying is some of my favorite.

18 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

It's a lot of disk space needed for TE that doesn't pay off in terms of scenery. A landclass region is already on the edge of what's feasible for someone that's flying mostly in an altitude of 30,000ft and above. The nonexistence of seasons/winter is an absolute no-go. 

These are of course good points you have, guys.

The reason for my swapping from P3d to XPlane is the IMo far superior lighting of XP, which makes the world looking much more real. I was thinking very long then if I really should sacrifice seasons for lighting (I guess you know XP has no seasons at all). Now after looking on some screenshots of P3d5 I got the impression that lighting has improved in P3d. So I'm considering to install P3d alongside XP just for flying in autumn and winter in those regions of the world where seasons are really relevant. But I'm sure the major part of my simming time I will spend in XP 

Regarding the huge amount of disk space TE needs, this is the reason that I stick to the SD versions wherever possible, although HD would look even better. But SD still eats up much, much more disk space than landclass regions do.

Edit: please do not let this become a P3d vs XP rant. Both sims have their advantages and disadvantages. 

Edited by wolfko
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, wolfko said:

please do not let this become a P3d vs XP rant. Both sims have their advantages and disadvantages.

Agree completely. And your reasons are as good as anyone else's reasons for using this sim or that sim or that sim. All good comments :) 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Yes, Italy is in dire need of the Orbx treatment, and has been for years.  Unfortunately, we never even got the rest of Western Europe or the Western United States covered by the regional scenery packages.

Meanwhile, Orbx just released Trueearth for Northern California, an area which already has a regional scenery package.

Go figure.

Dave

• Upvote 1
On 6/10/2020 at 5:18 PM, DeeJay said:

I would fly into any part of the world as long as there are quite some PW airports there. I would love to fly in Thailand, Patagonia or Korea,... but I voted for Italy & the Alps because there is quite some airport infrastructure there.

Agreed

Italy is covered by airports already which would  make it easy to sell it as a region, there is a not of offer there so this would be really cool

UZG4tvq.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If you’re using  X-Plane, Frank Dainese has a fantastic scenery for the Dolomitis already. Actually, there’s the original version and he’s developing an updated scenery currently, which is released in stages. In my opinion, it would be difficult for anybody to significantly improve on Frank’s work and development resources should be directed to other projects.

7 hours ago, Joerg Picard said:

If you’re using  X-Plane, Frank Dainese has a fantastic scenery for the Dolomitis already. Actually, there’s the original version and he’s developing an updated scenery currently, which is released in stages. In my opinion, it would be difficult for anybody to significantly improve on Frank’s work and development resources should be directed to other projects.

You can have 'something' for most regions and make the earth a 'rag rug' with a lot of different patches. The big advantage of products like regions and, more so, OpenLCs, it that they provide a significant upgrade to a large area. Frank Dainese may have built a fantastic scenery for the Dolomites. But even it was for P3D, too, it would only be an upgrade for the Dolomites and nothing more. And the Dolomites are only a small part of the Alps. The advantage for someone who flies mostly at 30K feet or more is very limited. Not exactly a straight forward investment.

• Upvote 2

Add to that, that such small, but detailed regions mostly have very sharp and straight borders - which don't blend to the area next to it at all. And sometimes the colors fit within the region, but not to the global environment.

France VFR comes to mind: It's done very well, but the colors of the PR textures look weird compared to the autogen trees. Yet it's fantastic together with LLH sceneries for example, but the is a very unnatural line around the very small areas covered and it's also very expensive compared to their size. (Well, the price for French satellite imaginary doesn't really help that fact, as people say). You could also argue that this is the same with the borders of the TE regions and in some way also the LC regions, but there is a way larger area covered, so the chance of seeing those borders while low and slow is smaller.

Having said that, I still like to fly to LC based regions, even if I have new hardware for a few days and for the first time I'm able to run TE regions at all in a sensible way (which is of course absolutely fantastic). But concerning loading times and texture resolutoion over very large areas, I still don't mind flying over well made LC regions with good autogen and a few important PR texture spots.

• Like 2