flyguy737

Graphic card just lost a fan blade?

My Galax GTX 1070ti HOF edition gpu card just shattered a blade on fan closest to back of pc there was a clicking sound for awhile i couldn't pin down then all of a sudden the blade gave way and shot out my case i found it and the fan was running fine but the card was vibrating alittle. i decided to tape that fan and prevent it spinning i don't know what this will do but the card seems to be running fine and temps are ok. some advice here would be appreciated.

Colin

I wasn't sure if yours was the 3 or 2 fan version. If it has any warranty left, you should contact the vendor or Galax for RMA repair. Or at least contact them to see if a replacement fan kit can be obtained. You should not stall the fan permanently or run it out of balance (due to potential for localized overheating). The swap over should be a simple matter of removing the plastic cowling, unscrewing and uncoupling the broken unit and attaching the new. I haven't needed to replace GPU fans before but it does look like an easy job on your card type, I also don't know if the wiring harness is routed to all fans where you might need to replace both or three fans together. Lets hope its not subject to the China supply chain.

ok mines the 3 fan version i have stalled the fan for now and my temps are ok think i'll remove the fan for now until i can get a replacement sadly it's well out of warranty 

i just removed the card but dont have the tools to fix it i figured best just to break all the other blades on that fan for now and that way im not ricking shorting out the motor and i keep an eye on my temps but i think they will be ok until i can get the tools to fix it. at least it doesn't vibrate anymore