Normally - I'm a person who will jump in with 2 feet in most situations - and suffer the consequences:rolleyes:

However - after suffering many problems with P3D - (and I have almost given up on XP11) - this time - 

with P3D V5 - and XP11V5b1 - I have sat back and watched the results of both of the sims recent moves

to a new variation 

Watching   the inputs into the P3D forum on here - and on Avsim - the number of problems seems astronomical

and XP11 has today moved from 5 beta 1 - to beta 6 In something like 6 weeks - at least not charging $$ for the "upgrade"

The latest from LM is that a hotfix will be released soon - on a product released 8 days ago for $A100.- causing developers

to work like mad updating their products to match  a product that is not yet finished and probably causing even more problems.

There are some of us - of course -  who seem to be "happy" with their installation on computers that are well endowed with 

lots of beautiful and expensive Ram - and CPU cores -  but I see that even they are having many scenery problems and have

to tweak as well to get the magic atmosphere and FPS.

Has panic gone through the minds of the  bosses of LM and XP in that they must release 2 new sims before MS2020 hits the streets ??

-and we - who want the biggest - fastest - most upwardly mobile - before anyone else - have fallen for the 3 card trick??

I jumped ship and bought V5, indeed, to suffer the consequences.

While there are problems, there are also a lot of good things. And the world in P3D is big enough to get around the major problems.

I personally didn't hit a "wall" yet and didn't run in any anomalies while I'm installing all Orbx in to an external library.

Yes, I've seen the shortcomings and bugs of TrueSky and had some blurred textures and CTD's. I hope the latter because I'm stress-testing the sim.

I have not enough space on my SSD to accommodate two full installs of P3D (4 and 5) so I'm getting to the point to phase out V4 to make space for V5 but that's a bit too early for me.

1 hour ago, Krono said:

Hotfix has arrived but looks like a full install is needed. There are some interesting areas looked at in the list of fixes

Thanks for the heads-up. Downloading now.

I took the jump and got v5 first day, apart from the 'wall' hit several times once Orbx was installed I am very happy with visuals and performance on my average system... I will see what happens though once I add Aerofts buses to they mix.......Currnetly downloading for reinstall with the HF....I have not seen any blurries or had CTD but over on another forum I have read so much about peopl already tweaking so much, maybe they are asking for problems, also so many reports of people make things kind of work that aren't even supported yet, they are in my opinion asking for trouble but each to their own.....I will update XP when it comes out of BETA but only when aircraft are updated to.....

Well I for one have dumped P3Dv4 as I have been using Xplane more now that Orbx supports it. Also got rid off my DCS as it was good but a bit to hard for my old brain. For me as I have been using  Fltsims since they first appeared on the BBC micro or think it was the Commodore 64 and then I changed when the PC got a bit cheaper. I am one of those who are waiting for the new Fltsim to arrive and will see how that goes. Thanks Derek.

3 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Watching   the inputs into the P3D forum on here - and on Avsim - the number of problems seems astronomical

and XP11 has today moved from 5 beta 1 - to beta 6 In something like 6 weeks - at least not charging $$ for the "upgrade"

The latest from LM is that a hotfix will be released soon - on a product released 8 days ago for $A100.- causing developers

to work like mad updating their products to match  a product that is not yet finished and probably causing even more problems.

Just a couple of points:

X Plane 11 remains X Plane version 11 despite the updates. If and when there is an X Plane 12, there will, based on all the past

experience, be a charge.

P3D has undergone a version change, from version 4 to version 5 and there is indeed a charge.

Due to the nature of beta testing, it is not possible for addon developers to have their products ready on release day.

This applies right across the board.

Add to that to the need for a "hotfix" and it should be clear that developers who adapted their products to the original release would

have wasted their time.

Add to that to the customers who try out addons prematurely and it is not hard to see why there have been so many support requests.

I am not one to "dump" things for the latest shiny version, which is why I still have working copies of FS9, FSX and P3D v4.

It's probably why my car is from 1995 too.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Dump, dump, perhaps a better word would have been uninstall. Plus I’m not one to Chuck things out much to the announce of my wife. For instance I still have my Original 3 disk MS-DOS Series floppy discs and  Windows 95 Windows 3.X. The Original Falcon 4 manual, Windows 98 disc. , MS Flight Simulator 98 Pilots Handbook, Microsoft Flight Simulator Aircraft & Scenery Designer and anybody remember Flight Assignment A.T.P (Airline Transport Pilot) with free The-voice of air traffic control by SubLogic. Yes yes. :lol:. Plus loads of other stuff. Keep meaning to show them on here but I’m not very good at that. Oh I forgot the only four prints of the original PC Pilot where the magazine had colour pages outside but just black and white inside. Better change that, not the original prints but copies of the only four that were printed. You know what I mean.  Derek 

Edited by Dadtom65
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Has panic gone through the minds of the  bosses of LM and XP in that they must release 2 new sims before MS2020 hits the streets ??

-and we - who want the biggest - fastest - most upwardly mobile - before anyone else - have fallen for the 3 card trick??

Yes.............

6 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

I am not one to "dump" things for the latest shiny version, which is why I still have working copies of FS9, FSX and P3D v4.

It's probably why my car is from 1995 too.

I'm satisfied with P3Dv4.5hf2 and will wait awhile until I decide to go with V5, since everything works perfectly now with V4--and if it works, don't fix it.  And I'm still driving my 1997 Lexus--one of the best investments I've ever made.

• Like 1

I still ride the FSX/A band wagon, never liked FS9, never tried Prepar3D (although I like some of the visuals I've seen).  I don't pay much attention, but it seems like Prepar3D users are always having to upgrade to the latest iteration.  I don't know that for a fact, though.

Still drive a 2008 Toyota with less than 50,000 miles on it.  Don't get me started on my old 65' Mustang that I wish I still had, or my bug eye Sprite with a roll bar.

• Like 1

Took me a while to fully convert from FSIX to FSX+A but now have a fully stable and satisfactory sim that hasn't needed to be re-installed except when upgrading PC every five years or so AND I still sometimes drive my 1984 Peugeot 505 STI sedan which is not really run in yet at 320000 miles :D what an old fuddy-duddy :P

• Like 1

I have never dumped any of my old sims.

I have V5 running well on a 4GB external HD although I had the first dreaded crash on approach last night which is good as I don't have to blame my flying for that.

XP 11 is on 2GB external HD and runs faultlessly.

FSX on another external HD.

P3DV4.5 is on my main rig but I only updated from V4.0 a week before V5 was announced.

I drive a 1999 AU Falcon, a beautiful old clockwork car and I love it!:)

4 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

A beast indeed, I am sporting a BA Fairmont Ghia, drove it from Sydney to Perth, was like steering from a Lounge :)

• Haha 1
55 minutes ago, Richard Lincoln said:
5 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

A beast indeed, I am sporting a BA Fairmont Ghia, drove it from Sydney to Perth, was like steering from a Lounge :)

Just to prove that no one can accuse me of dumping things - I too still use FSX for all my old planes - pre PD - the original Blue Gold Red and green

DV discs from 2008 ------ and - 

At the risk of topping you both - I had the original Ford SS V8 Au registered Nov 1998 - and she was a beast and I sold it with 170000k on the clock

to a scrap dealer - 3 months ago for which I got $250 . I learned afterwards that it now sits - in its own container - on his farm:banghead:

At 85 - my doctor- told me that my eyes were failing and it would be the last time she could certify me for driving

so the 22YO beautiful beast  had to go:-*

P1000018.JPG

Edited by John Heaton
  • Sad 1

As much as I remember from a simple customer and flight simmer's point of view, LM has never really annoyed its customers with their P3d line, let alone after FSX which had a lot of stone age tecnology in it that wouldn't be moved forward. And thus, I simply cannot imagine that they will now. For me personally, it's always been a good strategy to keep my software up-to-date, but not before it has been proved stable and addon developers got things under control and have announced their strategy for updates.

The only time I've switched the first day - and I did NOT regret - was between P3d v3 and v4, when there was FINALLY a 64bit environment without OOM crashes! Even with very little addons at the beginning, I didn't touch v3 even a single time, but later was very happy to get rid of some old stuff that has caused a big mess over the years.

Oh, and what car fits to that attitude?? - Yes, a 2019 VW Golf 7 Variant. New, modern car, but well proved technology :D Simple, efficent, nice and even cheap under those particular circumstances ;-)

Edited by DeeJay

As the OP of this question - maybe I can summarise the conclusions to what has been given as an answer or a comment - 

if only for my own benefit - (it helps to clear one's thoughts when you put them on paper)

The sim has been available for 16 days and in that time there  have been approx.1700 posts in our forum and around 2000

posts in Avsim - that's more than 100 per day -  and I have to admit - I think I have read most of them  -- Including what has been said above.

I haven't bothered with a full numerical analysis as such - but I see that there are a goodly percentage very happy with the sim -

- the ones who are very happy - seem to talk a lot about 8/11GRU being the reason - or the "number of Cores" and DX12

Many are producing great screen shots for us to see - and I have to admit - they look good - but so do the ones we see on Community Screen shots

with P3D V4  ---- I just wish they would tell us what the specs were - and what resolution their computers were set at - 2K HD - or 4K UHD - and the HDR settings??

Then there are some who have been struggling - even after the Hotfix - which in itself- seems to have caused a few problems

- and there are a few who have removed it and gone back to V4 and the new Hotfix 5 for that one.

Unfortunately - very few have told us what computer specs they have - and I suspect  - repeat suspect - that they are like me

with just a mid range computer - and that is the latter group.

Then there are a multitude like me (I5i - 1050TI) -  who doubt that they can cope with the specs after the reports of the elite

and haven't even bothered to even try to spend $100 on a forlorn exercise - or simply await a few weeks before making the attempt -

and finally - there are some of us - who wonder at the motives of releasing a bug ridden product (3700 post) - that's forcing developers to work overtime

correcting their own products to fit the sim e.g. the sim has new vectors which knocks out Orbx immediately and creates havoc

for all of us with a large number of Orbx airports -  (Who thinks sloping runways are a priority - anyway?) 

Personal conclusion  -  I see no need at this time to make the investment of Money and TIME to gain a little in scenery -and no increase in FLYING

characteristics.  I have my FSX for my old pre 64bit aircraft - and a good hangar that I know has modern  aircraft that I can fly where Orbx and Rex 3D takes me 

in Both sims - ands at 30FPS. Recently - I promoted myself from Props to biZjets and at 30000+ feet - the scenery doesn't need to be anything better than the regions I have

My VFR/P.O.I. needs are well covered as well - particularly in the UK local flights with T.E. Britain - and after 50 years as a PPL-  I am just starting to learn IFR and Reality GTN 750.

I also bear in mind that another alternative is not too far away - and I won't need a new computer to use it to its full - and I will save the $100 towards

the new "Hardware" costs - being the  replacement X Box.

I just hope that I will still be here to add a few more years enjoyment to my simming - (Flying - F1 Racing - and my huge Railway set)

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Richard Lincoln said:

Hi John,

In line with our Forum Policy, I have has to remove the  Political reference.

No Probs Richard - it was just meant as  funny anyway - and certainly not political - and Aussies might have had a laff.

I thought of you on another subject yesterday - when I bought LOWI in the Europe reduced price sale before it closed

- and - then I remembered -  that there was no hurry - I only needed to invoke my Seniors discount:banghead:

PS - I loved My AU so much and its radical shape at the time - I bought a BU for the missus 

but not a Ghia :rolleyes: