Jump to content

Orbx & PIlot’s FS GLOBAL ULTIMATE - NG 2020


Recommended Posts

Hi just wondered if anyone had experience of combining their Orbx with this new mesh?

I have the previous ‘Next Generation’ version in P3Dv4 which has been pretty good to me although I get some strange features if I turn it off sometimes and I a, wondering what this new version would add to my Orbx scenery.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The only problem I can imagine is with airports in v5. Since Vector isn't supported in v5, so aren't the altitude corrections.

 

Apart from that, I'm using the last iteration of the product with v4 and I'm pretty sure it will work just as fine with v5.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Richard McDonald Woods said:

They are claiming improved resolution. Enough for me to install it:D

How did you go? Does it work ok with V5?

 

I am wondering now that we can have sloped runways how FS Global works with that?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Richard McDonald Woods said:

Unfortunately I don't yet have a P3Dv5 compatible aircraft to fly. Static airport views are very good.:)

Ok I just upgraded so I guess we will see. You need to upgrade V5 is a massive upgrade and I mean massive as I am getting double the frame rates .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Richard McDonald Woods said:

Unfortunately I don't yet have a P3Dv5 compatible aircraft to fly. Static airport views are very good.:)

Ok well I have had a fly around Jandakot /Perth and there are no issues . Certainly it looks better with the higher resolution mesh .

 

I also had a fly around LAX and it certainly no worse than FS Global in V4 .

 

Frame rates are still very good in VR .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,

 

with Australia v2 you definitely want to keep its own mesh active as it has higher quality and resolution than FSG UNG2020. In AUv2 much of eastern Australia and parts of the west coast are compiled at 10m resolution, and "the rest" of the continent at 20m, while the PILOT'S mesh is limited to 40m resolution.

 

In general we recommend to not deactivate the terrain mesh files that come with our regions as many of their components fixed at specific elevations -- like airport, river, and lake flattens, are based on that particular terrain mesh. You'd be surprised by how much various elevation data sources can differ for particular locations!

 

Cheers, Holger

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi there,

 

with Australia v2 you definitely want to keep its own mesh active as it has higher quality and resolution than FSG UNG2020. In AUv2 much of eastern Australia and parts of the west coast are compiled at 10m resolution, and "the rest" of the continent at 20m, while the PILOT'S mesh is limited to 40m resolution.

 

In general we recommend to not deactivate the terrain mesh files that come with our regions as many of their components fixed at specific elevations -- like airport, river, and lake flattens, are based on that particular terrain mesh. You'd be surprised by how much various elevation data sources can differ for particular locations!

 

Cheers, Holger

 

 

Ok so we can just untick the FS Global "Oceania" in the Scenery List?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi there,

 

with Australia v2 you definitely want to keep its own mesh active as it has higher quality and resolution than FSG UNG2020. In AUv2 much of eastern Australia and parts of the west coast are compiled at 10m resolution, and "the rest" of the continent at 20m, while the PILOT'S mesh is limited to 40m resolution.

 

In general we recommend to not deactivate the terrain mesh files that come with our regions as many of their components fixed at specific elevations -- like airport, river, and lake flattens, are based on that particular terrain mesh. You'd be surprised by how much various elevation data sources can differ for particular locations!

 

Cheers, Holger

 

The Pilots Website says it uses 1m resolution which I guess is not everywhere but I am surprised its as low as 40M. Truth in advertising ...sigh and disappointed.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Doc_Z,

 

sorry about any confusion. the free "Holgermesh Australia" is only for Australia v1 users, which didn't include its own terrain mesh file. It uses less detailed Shuttle Radar data and is compiled at 76m resolution. It's still available in OrbxDirect because not everyone has upgraded to Australia v2.

 

The free "Holgermesh Papua New Guinea" is similar in detail to "Holgermesh Australia" and also compiled at 76m. It's primarily meant for users of our PNG airfield add-ons that don't already have a third-party mesh add-on.  PILOT's FSG UNG2020 uses LOD11 = 19m resolution across PNG, at least for the mountains, so no need to install the PNG Holgermesh for this area if you use the PILOT'S mesh.

 

Cheers, Holger 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi Doc_Z,

 

sorry about any confusion. the free "Holgermesh Australia" is only for Australia v1 users, which didn't include its own terrain mesh file. It uses less detailed Shuttle Radar data and is compiled at 76m resolution. It's still available in OrbxDirect because not everyone has upgraded to Australia v2.

 

The free "Holgermesh Papua New Guinea" is similar in detail to "Holgermesh Australia" and also compiled at 76m. It's primarily meant for users of our PNG airfield add-ons that don't already have a third-party mesh add-on.  PILOT's FSG UNG2020 uses LOD11 = 19m resolution across PNG, at least for the mountains, so no need to install the PNG Holgermesh for this area if you use the PILOT'S mesh.

 

Cheers, Holger 

 

 

Great information, do you know where you can get the resolution data for Pilots please?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,

 

Quote

Great information, do you know where you can get the resolution data for Pilots please?

 

if you have the P3D SDK installed then you can use its TMFViewer.exe tool to load any mesh bgl file and determine its compiled resolution using View > Level of Detail. The raster resolution values associated with a given LOD are listed here: http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv5/sdk/world/terrain/terrain_overview.html#QMID and LOD Values  Thus, LOD11 is about 19m per pixel, LOD10, about 38m, etc.

 

PILOT'S mesh files are split into the standard QMID7/LOD5 tiles, which use a sequential naming system of columns and rows, starting at N90 W180; for a basic map that helps to determine the local file name see http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv5/sdk/world/terrain/terrain_overview.html#Base File Information

 

Cheers, Holger

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi there,

 

 

if you have the P3D SDK installed then you can use its TMFViewer.exe tool to load any mesh bgl file and determine its compiled resolution using View > Level of Detail. The raster resolution values associated with a given LOD are listed here: http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv5/sdk/world/terrain/terrain_overview.html#QMID and LOD Values  Thus, LOD11 is about 19m per pixel, LOD10, about 38m, etc.

 

PILOT'S mesh files are split into the standard QMID7/LOD5 tiles, which use a sequential naming system of columns and rows, starting at N90 W180; for a basic map that helps to determine the local file name see http://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv5/sdk/world/terrain/terrain_overview.html#Base File Information

 

Cheers, Holger

 

 

Wow, thanks I feel smarter now that I know this , great you are here to share your skills. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2020 at 2:48 PM, Mawson said:

Wow, thanks I feel smarter now that I know this , great you are here to share your skills. 

 

+ 1 !!!

 

Thus, I checked the content of the Pilot's mesh files and I think there's a big gap between middle of Australia and PNG.

Please could someone verify the number of the files in the OCE folder? Only 975 for me and nothing between s08 and s23, also Australia is there! :wacko::blink:

And If I add the Australia v2 Mesh folder, I see the complete picture of Australia...

 

Do I have a bad installation?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

 

I bought FS Global Ultimate 2020 for P3Dv5 and came about this thread. My question is, the FS Global Ultimate mesh is covering all Oceania, and not just Australia, thus many small islands that I'd like to have the increased mesh resolution. If I disable it as suggested here by @Holger Sandmann this means I can't have the mesh for the rest of Oceania. Is there a solution to keep best of both words? Or does Australia v2 covers all Oceania at better mesh resolution as well?

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Pilot said:

If I disable it as suggested here by @Holger Sandmann this means I can't have the mesh for the rest of Oceania.

Holger didn't say to disable anything.  He said he generally did not recommend disabling the terrain mesh that comes with the Orbx regions.

 

Correct me if I am wrong, but P3D automatically uses the highest resolution mesh that is installed and enabled. 

If you have Orbx AUv2 (which includes mesh) and FS GUng2020 both installed and enabled, P3D will use whatever mesh is best for wherever you are flying.  

That means the better AUv2 mesh will be used in Australia and the FS mesh will be used in the rest of Oceania.  Just leave them both enabled.

 

The only reason I can think of to disable a mesh product is if a higher resolution mesh is causing anomalies with an airport or scenery that was designed to work with a lower resolution mesh.   You can just temporarily uncheck (disable) the higher resolution mesh in the P3D add-on scenery list so the lower resolution will be used.

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Matt for the reply. I just hope that loading both mesh will not decrease performance and also as mentioned above there can be problems with Orbx scenery. I guess the best way would be to manually disable the tiles that are covered by Orbx Australia v2. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pilot said:

I just hope that loading both mesh will not decrease performance and also as mentioned above there can be problems with Orbx scenery. I guess the best way would be to manually disable the tiles that are covered by Orbx Australia v2. 

I don't think there should be any performance decrease at all.  The sim is only rendering the highest resolution mesh, not every mesh installed.

Again, there is no need to disable the FS GUng 2020 tiles in Australia if you have AUv2 installed. 

FS GUng 2020 can't conflict with Orbx airports in Australia because your Orbx AUv2 mesh has higher resolution.  P3D will automatically choose the AUv2 mesh and your Orbx airports will be sitting on Orbx mesh. 

 

If you can uninstall (not just disable) individual FS tiles for areas where you have better mesh, you could save a little disk space.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Matt McGee said:

I don't think there should be any performance decrease at all.  The sim is only rendering the highest resolution mesh, not every mesh installed.

Again, there is no need to disable the FS GUng 2020 tiles in Australia if you have AUv2 installed. 

FS GUng 2020 can't conflict with Orbx airports in Australia because your Orbx AUv2 mesh has higher resolution.  P3D will automatically choose the AUv2 mesh and your Orbx airports will be sitting on Orbx mesh. 

 

If you can uninstall (not just disable) individual FS tiles for areas where you have better mesh, you could save a little disk space.

 

Thank you very much Matt for taking the time to explain. I really appreciate your help. So its is fine, I will leave FS Ultimate installed as it is. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...