Jump to content

Recommended Posts

After travelling through the red center with Wayoutback Safaris last year, they would be my first choice for a tour through the tropical north as well https://www.wayoutback.com.au/destinations/top-end-tours/3-day-4wd-dragonfly-dreaming-top-end-camping-tour/ . And I give myself a virtual teaser before...

We´d start from Darwin...

K2dPqyU.jpg

 

... pick up all the guests from their hotels...

t5eW6sO.jpg

 

... and drive down Stuart Highway past Emkaytee.

6bQsYis.jpg

 

Turn right at Coomalie Creek...

fktOsaZ.jpg

 

... and leave (OZx´s) Batchelor to tour left.

PlatDaB.jpg

 

First stop in Litchfield NP is Florence Falls (obviously dry at the day of flight ;)), ...

bwIpjrX.jpg

 

... followed by Wangi Falls. You can see the pool at its bottom.

THEKzec.jpg

 

Then we´d make a sharp turn eastwards and fly along Lake Bennett...

bEdUAwO.jpg

 

... follow Arnhem Highway across Mary River...

YqxVl0o.jpg

 

... and turn right for some 4WD driving on Jim Jim Road.

IOKYNVg.jpg

 

W06I6gG.jpg

 

Finally we´d reach Cooinda for the night camp.

3WEfObA.jpg

 

TLquUFA.jpg

 

Sorry for the recommendations. They have deserved it.

 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great shots of the area I know but still too green.

When I went to Australia in 2018 I was used to fly in FTX AU v1 and thought it was green in real life too but I was pleasantly surprised that it was all red.

So, when I thought only the center of Australia is red, it definitely is not. Also the areas near the coast are red(ish).

 

Cheers,

Ben.

Edited by bvdboomen
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Great post Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain!

 

46 minutes ago, schtroumf said:

Nice and good trip:)

My pleasure - preparing it as well as flying it!

 

3 hours ago, wain71 said:

great flight, I always love the cloud shadow..

Todays sims have got quite a level. Now we can wait patiently what the rest of the year brings (and at what cost)...

 

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Nice shots Gerold and man you really know Australia well.

Thank you Jack. I have to stress out I have not been in the north yet. Not yet!

 

1 hour ago, bvdboomen said:

Great shots of the area I know but still too green.

When I went to Australia in 2018 I was used to fly in FTX AU v1 and thought it was green in real life too but I was pleasantly surprised that it was all red.

So, when I thought only the center of Australia is red, it definitely is not. Also the areas near the coast are red(ish).

Cheers,

Ben.

Good to learn that Ben. We should be well prepared for such a trip and not expect the sim colours as shown here. There is also some more reddish parts in the north, perhaps I have some screenies for the upcoming posts.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, adambar said:

Slam-dunk set of shots Gerold! :)

Thank you Adam!

 

2 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Would't like to have an engine failure over that area!

Keep away from river water, Erik. There must be a reason for the name of "Alligator River", and I am sure there are no Alligators.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BradB said:

Looking mighty fine Gerold .

Thank you John. I´d love to see this from ground level, later or sooner.

 

7 hours ago, boetie said:

A fantastic set Gerold!

Cheers

Graeme :)

Thanks mate. Your way to go there is much shorter, and I would not be surprised if you had travelled there already.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Missed this one earlier mate - what lovely shots and indeed your knowledge of the Top End is amazing!  Was involved for a few months with a small company that did combined aerial/bus tours between Darwin and Litchfield Park/Daly River areas - beautiful country.  When I lived at Gunbalanya (Oenpelli) our family used to go to the motel at Cooinda for occasional weekend breaks, that was before the big tourist boom - used to be mainly grey nomads around the place in those days.

Edited by TerribleT
words left out
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Missed this one earlier mate - what lovely shots and indeed your knowledge of the Top End is amazing!  Was involved for a few months with a small company that did combined aerial/bus tours between Darwin and Litchfield Park/Daly River areas - beautiful country.  When I lived at Gunbalanya (Oenpelli) our family used to go to the motel at Cooinda for occasional weekend breaks, that was before the big tourist boom - used to be mainly grey nomads around the place in those days.

Thanks for the comment and the real-life experience shared with us. I hope your Cooinda motels had a higher standard than the one in my last screenie :D?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrific set of views Gerold and watch out for those big Geckos in the water up there.

I stayed at Cooinda back in 1986 on a fishing safari and it was pretty basic then but I imagine it has changed out of all recognition since then.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Terrific set of views Gerold and watch out for those big Geckos in the water up there.

I stayed at Cooinda back in 1986 on a fishing safari and it was pretty basic then but I imagine it has changed out of all recognition since then.

You are back! What a great pleasure for me - the weekend starts good...B)

 

These big Geckos are one of the attractions up there, even though they can not climb walls. But then... if you click on the description of the wayoutback safaris you´ll learm that they do not regularly offer housing with walls!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Stillwater said:

You are back! What a great pleasure for me - the weekend starts good...B)

 

These big Geckos are one of the attractions up there, even though they can not climb walls. But then... if you click on the description of the wayoutback safaris you´ll learm that they do not regularly offer housing with walls!

Thank you Gerold, I appreciate that. The canvas used for camping isn't much protection to a hungry Huntsman either.:ph34r:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...