A quick note to thank the team for such an upgrade to Africa.

I'm really enjoying Orbx Africa OpenLC, so much new to explore in P3D.

Unfortunately the default airports suck!

Any suggestions for some nice payware of freeware airports to spruce things up?

• Upvote 1

Here are some ideas

There are payware airports for

DAAG] Algiers, Houari Boumediene

Cape Verde (FREE)

HEMA Marsa Alam Intl

Sharm El-Sheikh

Hurghada HEGN

HECA - Cairo (though is horrible)

[GBYD] Banjul

Nairobi Intl

Mauritius

Mayotte

[GMAD] Agadir, Al-Massira

Casablanca GMMN

Bouarfa GMFB

[DNMM] Lagos, Murtala Muhammed

REUNION

DAKAR

Seychelles

Cape Town

[HTKJ] Kilimanjaro

[DTTJ] Djerba, Zarsis

Enfidha DTNH

GQNO Nouakchott

Tromelin ( Free)

21 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Here are some ideas

There are payware airports for

DAAG] Algiers, Houari Boumediene

Cape Verde (FREE)

HEMA Marsa Alam Intl

Sharm El-Sheikh

Hurghada HEGN

HECA - Cairo (though is horrible)

[GBYD] Banjul

Nairobi Intl

Mauritius

Mayotte

[GMAD] Agadir, Al-Massira

Casablanca GMMN

Bouarfa GMFB

[DNMM] Lagos, Murtala Muhammed

REUNION

DAKAR

Seychelles

Cape Town

[HTKJ] Kilimanjaro

[DTTJ] Djerba, Zarsis

Enfidha DTNH

GQNO Nouakchott

Tromelin ( Free)

Carlos,  I can add Johannesburg and Marrakech to your list.  They are both available payware.

Stew

• Thanks 1
On 4/3/2020 at 5:08 PM, Stewart Hobson said:

I can add Johannesburg

I had a look at that Joburg and it seemed to have a quality that would harm the Orbxflyers eyes. Decided not to buy that.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Stillwater said:

I had a look at that Joburg and it seemed to have a quality that would harm the Orbxflyers eyes. Decided not to buy that.

Gerold,  I have landed at Joburg, taxied around the airport, then took off on another trip and didn't see any glaring errors.  The place looked pretty good, and lots of AI as well.  Are we talking about the same version of Joburg airport (no longer FAOR, but now FAJS, I believe)?

Stewart, you have that around the wrong way.

Johannesburg International Airport is JNB or FAOR

From Wikipedia:-

O. R. Tambo International Airport (IATA: JNB, ICAO: FAOR) is a major international airport situated in Kempton Park, Gauteng, South Africa.

It was originally known as Jan Smuts International Airport, after the former South African Prime Minister of the same name.  The airport was renamed Johannesburg International Airport in 1994 when the newly elected African National Congress (ANC) government implemented a policy of not naming airports after politicians. This policy was later reversed, and on 27 October 2006 the airport was renamed O. R. Tambo International Airport after Oliver Reginald Tambo, a former ANC President.

Note the date 27 October 2006, after FAJS was hard coded into FSX. Caused us problems and work arounds like dummy airports.

The new ICAO Code Started on 26 July 2012, this was be designated FAOR.

I'm using NMG Simulations FAOR,  https://www.nmgsimulations.co.za/product/nmg-or-tambo-intl-airport-johannesburg-p3dv4/  ,  and it seems to work OK, now the P3Dv4 update is out.

Chris.

Edited by Chris.D
Typo
6 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Gerold,  I have landed at Joburg, taxied around the airport, then took off on another trip and didn't see any glaring errors.  The place looked pretty good, and lots of AI as well.  Are we talking about the same version of Joburg airport (no longer FAOR, but now FAJS, I believe)?

Thanks for discussing, Stewart, and we´ll see the reply of Chris below...

5 hours ago, Chris.D said:

Note the date 27 October 2006, after FAJS was hard coded into FSX. Caused us problems and work arounds like dummy airports.

I'm using NMG Simulations FAOR,  https://www.nmgsimulations.co.za/product/nmg-or-tambo-intl-airport-johannesburg-p3dv4/  ,  and it seems to work OK, now the P3Dv4 update is out.

Chris.

Thank you for the informations, Chris. And I´ll have a look at NMG - as long as we do not see our preferred scenery supplier (and this forum host) working on it...

1 hour ago, Stillwater said:

Thanks for discussing, Stewart, and we´ll see the reply of Chris below...

Thank you for the informations, Chris. And I´ll have a look at NMG - as long as we do not see our preferred scenery supplier (and this forum host) working on it...

Gaffer Simulations have a version of FAOR currently on sale. Not saying it looks wonderful, but to me, it looks a much better attempt than the NMG one.
They also have FALE available.

Some African airports from Orbx would be a better solution though!

8 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Gaffer Simulations have a version of FAOR currently on sale. Not saying it looks wonderful, but to me, it looks a much better attempt than the NMG one.

Thanks for the hands-up. I have just compared them both according to the screenshots and I agree to your saying "not wonderful". I shift my decision to when i am going to fly there - and do not care about such thing as sales. The better deal for me would be better quality, no such matter the price.

4 hours ago, F737NG said:

They also have FALE available.

Some African airports from Orbx would be a better solution though!

I have the Gaffer version.  They also provide a zip which allows UTLive to populate the airport as FAJS.  Of course, it changes the airport designation from FAOR to FAJS, but P3D recognizes it as such, even though my GTN750 still recognizes FAOR.  Small adjustment for the sim pilot, however.

11 hours ago, Chris.D said:

Stewart, you have that around the wrong way.

From Wikipedia:-

O. R. Tambo International Airport (IATA: JNB, ICAO: FAOR) is a major international airport situated in Kempton Park, Gauteng, South Africa.

It was originally known as Jan Smuts International Airport, after the former South African Prime Minister of the same name.  The airport was renamed Johannesburg International Airport in 1994 when the newly elected African National Congress (ANC) government implemented a policy of not naming airports after politicians. This policy was later reversed, and on 27 October 2006 the airport was renamed O. R. Tambo International Airport after Oliver Reginald Tambo, a former ANC President.

Chris.

Yes, Chris, you are correct.  My oversight.  I've installed the Gaffer version of the airport and it works fine.  See my post above ^^^.

In the meantime we can all explore the very nice rendition of Cape Town by FSDG.

Here's a very good documentary about the whereabouts of implementing a new long haul route at the example of AUA to FACT. Quite a sophisticated task! And lots of 777-footage, too. The only "downside" (one's upside is another one's downside) is that it's in German language.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

Here's a very good documentary about the whereabouts of implementing a new long haul route at the example of AUA to FACT. Quite a sophisticated task! And lots of 777-footage, too. The only "downside" (one's upside is another one's downside) is that it's in German language.

Herrlich, für langweilige Tage zu Hause!

7 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

In the meantime we can all explore the very nice rendition of Cape Town by FSDG.

Unfortunately we will / would be changing planes in FAOR, so I still need to find a flyable way...

45 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

Danke Lars, super! Wie Gerold gesagt hat, genau das richtige für unsere Ausganngssperre.

Nur bei diesem Kommentatorr habe ich immer das Gefühl, er meint, er spräche mit kleinen Kindern. Ich habe das Gefühl, er hat immer einen Grinser im Gesicht während er spricht, ob's gerade passend ist oder nicht. Macht der Typ bei allem, was er kommentiert so. :D

17 hours ago, Bernard Nieberg said:

I have purchased AS Kilimangaro, at first glance it looks nice. 
I haven’t had time for a good sightseeing flight around there yet.

Will report back when I do.

Thanks and cheers!

Hello Bernard

In order to make AS Kilimanjaro to fit with Orbx Africa LC you need to put some bgls off to keep Orbx Kilimanjaro mountain, otherwise when flying close to it textures will change and will look awful

The three bgls to put off in AS scenery folder are these:

H6eOiY9.jpg

Cheers

Carlos

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Well, listening doesn't sound as difficult as reading!

Can't follow the texture while reading

Difficult language

• Sad 1
6 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Well, listening doesn't sound as difficult as reading!

Can't follow the texture while reading

Difficult language

Sadly, there are no English (or Spanish) subtitles. :(

Edit: All languages are equally difficult, it just depends on what's your native tongue and which languages you learnt prior.

Edited by Captain Lars
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, wolfko said:

Nur bei diesem Kommentatorr habe ich immer das Gefühl, er meint, er spräche mit kleinen Kindern. Ich habe das Gefühl, er hat immer einen Grinser im Gesicht während er spricht, ob's gerade passend ist oder nicht. Macht der Typ bei allem, was er kommentiert so. :D

Bei Kommentatoren gibt es so einige, die man nur schwer ertragen kann...

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Hello Bernard

In order to make AS Kilimanjaro to fit with Orbx Africa LC you need to put some bgls off to keep Orbx Kilimanjaro mountain, otherwise when flying close to it textures will change and will look awful

H6eOiY9.jpg

Cheers

Carlos

Thanks Carlos, I have already removed/renamed the 3 .BGL files you mention. I learned long ago to always search through the Orbx compatibility forum before buying or installing any non-Orbx scenery. Unfortunately I haven’t had time to fly the virtual African skies since installing this new airport. Sunshine and real flying was the priority today!

Cheers, Bernard

2DCD15E5-2A5D-4B5C-BE7C-08D9778959B9.jpeg

424929E7-0262-46F4-BAAE-8389D4778600.jpeg

Edited by Bernard Nieberg
  • Like 2
23 hours ago, carlosqr said:

Hello Bernard

H6eOiY9.jpg

Cheers

Carlos

Thanks Carlos!

I followed your directions at HTKJ looks great with Orbx Africa LC.

Greg

• Like 1