CathyH

active Best Way To Back Up

I will be buying a new system in a few months. What is the best way to back up P3D 4.5 to an external drive so i can reinstall from there and have all of my planes and scenery withput taking days to install everyhting again?

Macrium Reflect is freeware, Kathy.  I use it for weekly backups, but have never had to use it reinstall the entire sim.  I suspect it's possible, and I believe there's is a "Restore" function in the software which would allow this.  Others may have better suggestions.

Cheers!

• Like 1

It really depends on where you are installing the main P3D simulator and any (and ALL) other folders/files needed/used with P3D (like the ORBX libraries, etc).

With P3D, you will have files in the main sim folder (wherever you decide to install that), files in your "user" documents folder (when using the XML method it will default those files to that folder), and the ORBX libraries possibly on a totally different hard drive (if you choose to do that).  Then there are all your other addons...weather programs, flight planners, whatever.  So you will need "backups" of ALL those locations if you want to restore a completely trashed P3D.

The easiest way to do that is to have a good backup program that will do a COMPLETE SYSTEM IMAGE of your ENTIRE computer.  Yes, this will take a larger amount of backup space on the external "backup drive".  But it's easy to then just do complete incremental backups of your entire computer that way.  Face it...if you really need to restore your P3D because your entire OPERATING SYSTEM got corrupted, why not just have EVERYTHING backed up as a complete system image to begin with?  Don't forget...P3D isn't just the LM flight sim and ORBX itself.  It's also EVERY OTHER ADDON you have and use with it...WHEREVER those files may be on your entire computer.  Please don't take this wrong, but if you are asking "how to back up my P3D" to begin with, you probably would MISS some (a lot of) critical files/folders if you tried to manually backup all of them yourself.  Think "Disk Image" of your entire computer instead.

Others may disagree.  That's fine.  My advice comes after 40+ years of professional IT experience saving other people's computers.  Most experienced computer users who rely on quality backup and restore capability will use a quality payware product like Acronis or similar (user preferences vary).  It's up to you.  A quality payware backup/restore program will cost you no more than one of some of the ORBX products.  A good investment to save your entire computer's software installations if your computer pukes (or the end user themself breaks the computer...as in "Uh, I accidentally deleted what?"). :lol: 

Edited by FalconAF
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, CathyH said:

I have Acronis but it's a couple if years old. How large an external drive would I need?

1 TB would do it easily.  They're not expensive.

• Like 1