I have a number of Albeo and Carenado A/C that use the term as per title - all later models.

(Actually - they do not mention 650 - but Flight1 website now states that both are offered for the one price

and are not separated).

I  assume that many on here are using this addon -- and I've seen a few videos for GTN750 -and it looks useful 

but is it worth  nearly $A100 .

Most of the videos are American in use and other parts of the world are not seen - EG Oceana - Europe - or SE Asia

all of which are base scenery in P3D boosted by Orbx global and LCs. I would love to see the flight planning in these areas

especially since they say the whole world and its airports are mapped and IFR detailed etc

What problems - if any - have surfaced during installation  - particularly in P3D since they make a big thing 

about being for 4.51  hotfix

• Like 1

Hello John,

I wonder if you could ask this question somewhere else.

These are not support forums for anything but Orbx products and general discussion is not

intended to be for the discussion of the merits or otherwise of other developers' products.

I would think that if you were to ask your question at the Avsim forum,

you would receive some useful answers.

• Like 1

Hi nick

Will do!1

Before I put it up I did confirm - to myself - under the term - "general discussion" -  after I looked to see if we had a section on hardware etc

and with 70000 members - I thought I would get a hit - but wilco.

John,

I can't speak to the GTN integration with Carenado/Alabeo aircraft as I do not own them.  

The GTN 650/750 is a great add-on through either Flight1 or RealityXP.  Customers may have a vendor preference for a multitude of reasons appropriate for a separate discussion, but the end product is still the basic same.

The issue you're going to run into with the GTN products is the navigation data.  The supplied data is quite dated.  There is no way to bring this data current unless you own a $900 and change Garmin subscription, or know someone else who does (typically a real world pilot with that equipment).  The GTN products utilize their proprietary navigation data and do not read the simulator data.  Though the data will by and large match up, you will notice increasing differences as data progresses.

It's a fine product, but you just have to take note of the above.  Hope this helps.

Nick

• Upvote 1

Nick is quite correct, and I hope I don't incur his wrath - he's one of the good guys.

I have both Flight1 GTN 650 and 750, and Reality XP GNS 430 and 530.

If your plane natively has a panel with any of these instruments, you can replace the stock instrument (usually a functionally cut down version) with a fully operating and authentic version.

If your plane does not natively have the instrument, the programs will add its features to the plane, accessible through Shift <number> for it to pop up on the screen. It will not appear on your panel. Some plane manufacturers will list on the product page if the panel is graphically compatible to replace the stock panel eg Ant's aircraft for GTN (a touch based Garmin) and several Just Flight and Carenado for GNS (a knob and button Garmin). Because the F1 and RXP panels are coded with a true version of the GTN or GNS, licensed from Garmin, the programs replace the cut down stock version with a completely authentic version. As mentioned above, the Flight1 has old Navdata and is not likely to get updated. The RXPs have newer data. That said, one is a knob and button GPS (RXP 430 and 530), and the other is a later model touch panel (GTN 650 and 750).

It is worth it particularly if you fly planes using these instruments and want to use an authentic version, otherwise, not. Just use the stock version if your plane has it. If you really want to learn real life and correct GTN or GNS operation, they are worth it.

Have a look at RealSim Gear - they have extremely real physical versions of Garmin GPS units, even down to duplicating the feel of the knobs and buttons.  I bought the GNS 430/530 combo deal, and I will be building a cockpit with these. The RSG works with RXP (seperate purchases). The cockpit will super enhance my flying realism over my ORBX world. I chose this version as the technology portrayed is more in keeping with the planes I like to fly. Incidentally, a new GNS530 to fit in your real aircraft is AU$ 20,000 plus installation - I was curious enough to look it up.

• Like 1

Great write up.  He is right.  If you're not necessarily sold on the GTN products, there are certainly other options available that will provide up to date navigation data on a sleeved down real world platform.

9 hours ago, ozboater said:

Nick is quite correct, and I hope I don't incur his wrath - he's one of the good guys.

I have both Flight1 GTN 650 and 750, and Reality XP GNS 430 and 530.

I took his advice and went to Avsim and got a few replies there that might just interest you - same heading

It was curiosity that led me to the question since iy was a subject that didn't seem to come up in GA thinking

The other reason was that the flight planner in P3D sucks - it very old FSX and almost Useless.

Thanks for your advice

BTW - the fish and chips down on the "Jetty" at your place brill !!! - My daughter lives in Grafton and we often travel down to your place

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John Heaton said:

The other reason was that the flight planner in P3D sucks - it very old FSX and almost Useless.

I haven't read your Avsim thread.  Which room did you post in?  

Out of curiosity, are you just looking fir a better flight planner?  A GPS solution be it a GTN, GNS, or whatever else isn't going to be a great flight planner per say.  It does a great job of navigating the chosen route and approaches, but in itself is actually a poor planning tool.  

There are many other options out there that are effective flight planners both freeware and payware.  Some of those inherently will let you upload those routes to the navigation platform.  I tend to just manually enter my routing in however.

5 hours ago, medx421 said:

I haven't read your Avsim thread.  Which room did you post in?  

Out of curiosity, are you just looking fir a better flight planner?  A GPS solution be it a GTN, GNS, or whatever else isn't going to be a great flight planner per say.  It does a great job of navigating the chosen route and approaches, but in itself is actually a poor planning tool.  

There are many other options out there that are effective flight planners both freeware and payware.  Some of those inherently will let you upload those routes to the navigation platform.  I tend to just manually enter my routing in however.

Hangar Chat

The answer to my question is that $100 of my pension is not worth it - to look nice in the cockpit

550and 450 and albeo 600 will do me without the FP section

I'll simulate proper - and stick to how I was Taught - Pencil - Chart  (google earth /sky vector)  - Protractor and calculator :)

I/m only doing VFR - non -instrument  anyway ---- well ! - on NDB / VOR as well

Thanks for your help

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 1