Hi all. It looks like I may need a new pc, and was wondering about this one. These are what I think are the important specs--

Windows 10

GE Force GTX 166TI 6gb

480gb ssd, and a 1tb hdd

650w psu

I-7 8700 3.2 ghz Hexa Core

16gb DDr4 2400 ram.

Does this sound like it would be an acceptable unit for my FSX and Orbx stuff? My FSX folder is currently 110gb in size, with lots of Orbx products, if that matters. Thanks for your time.  Rick

The AMD Ryzen Threadripper may have 32 cores with single core max boost clock of only 4.5GHz,  but don't  FSX or P3D still mainly utilize only a single core ? 

If so, then wouldn't an i9 9900k with max single core speed of 5GHz (no OC) be more suitable ?

Perhaps MSFS2020 will be a different beast utilizing multiple cores (I hope so) ? ....... We'll all have to wait patiently for this one.

23 hours ago, MZee1960 said:

The AMD Ryzen Threadripper may have 32 cores

Hi Milan

There are many other AMD Ryzen options that do not have 32 cores.

7 hours ago, RickG said:

The new AMD is catching up it seems.

AMD has surpassed Intel already and the 4000 series is in the very near future and looks even more amazing....Intel is still stuck on there ancient 14nm architecture and have nothing new coming down the pipeline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e77xz1dPBUs

2 hours ago, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hi Milan

There are many other AMD Ryzen options that do not have 32 cores.

AMD has surpassed Intel already and the 4000 series is in the very near future and looks even more amazing....Intel is still stuck on there ancient 14nm architecture and have nothing new coming down the pipeline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e77xz1dPBUs

Funny thing is my computer guy says the exact same thing, especially about the ancient 14nm architecture. He built a few flightsim systems recently, using AMD, and figures most likely the new 2020 sim platforms will all be multi-core applications. 2020 will be a most interesting and exciting year, indeed.

• Like 1