resolved Black Squares/ Messed up Textures

Hi all,

I installed the global base pack, HD trees, Vector, OpenLC Europe, NA, and SA, as well as OpenLC Mesh SA and this is what happens at the default airport. I'm running P3D 4.5 hf2. I've already checked, and I don't believe there is another instance of objectflow.

Orbx Error 1.png

Orbx Error 2.png

Hi, welcome to the forums

Please apply and/or confirm the below basics.

All of the Global and OpenLC products and the Orbx Libraries need to be installed into the simulator root folder, not a library folder separate from the simulator.

Ensure the Orbx Libs are installed and up to date, and I would do a verify files of them from within Orbx Central.

Then make sure Objectflow is installed and that there is only one instance of it as per the below topic.

I would then go to settings/help and run the Sync Simulator function.

Then you can go to settings/Insertion Point and set them like this.

Ensure all of your 3rd party non Orbx addons are at the top of your scenery library and above your FTX entries.

Then in Orbx Central Insertion points "Orbx Airports and Regions”, put your last non Orbx 3rd party listed in your scenery library addon in the INSERTED BELOW window.

Then for the "Orbx Global openLC” ensure the Orbx Airports and Regions are in the INSERTED BELOW window.

• Like 1

So I tried what you suggested and I'm still having issues. There's still issues with random black spots and squares on some of the scenery, and it also looks like there's a mixture of orbx base scenery and default scenery. Everything was installed as described, so I'm not sure what else I could've missed.

Thanks

I don't see anything seriously wrong other than the Vector entries are not in the correct order and the default Africa should be at the top of the Vector entries and placed just under Asia. I think this issue was caused by an earlier version of Orbx Central, so I would go to settings/my account and opt into FastLane to get the latest version, then go through the above routine again. I have attached an image of the correct Vector entry placement.

Vector Entries.PNG

I would also be sure to uncheck the "Frozen Surface (in winter only)"option in the Vector control panel.

Also keep in mind that your FlyTampa LC entries may be conflicting with some Orbx OpenLC areas and can be unchecked/deactivated in your scenery library for testing, and of course if it makes no difference then reactivate them.

Okay, so after re-ordering the vector entries, and checking the frozen surface setting, and looking at addon LC. This is what I'm seeing around KLAS. Now, I do have FSDream Team's KLAS, however the errors appear to be far outside the LC and texture coverage of this addon. Plus I saw similar errors along my flight.

Orbx Error 4.png

Hi

You have to do the verification flies for all the products you find this way

You seemed to have fixed the issue in the brown image

Do the same in the area of the green shot

Cheers

Carlos

Edited by carlosqr
On 12/15/2019 at 6:55 PM, Doug Sawatzky said:

All of the Global and OpenLC products and the Orbx Libraries need to be installed into the simulator root folder, not a library folder separate from the simulator.

Hi Doug,

I have checked the manual and it states that only the ORBX Global BASE Pack has to be installed in the simulator root folder with the following statement "Unfortunately, due to technical limitations, Orbx Global Base Pack can’t be migrated into a library.".

If what you say is true and required:

1. why does ORBX Central allow you to migrate OpenLC Products to the a Central Library of your choice ? 

2. how does one move the various GLOBAL and OpenLC products back to the simulator root folder and is this REALLY necessary ?

3. surely the user-guide and ORBX Central should be urgently updated to correct this error of allowing GLOBAL and Open LC products to be migrated?

I ask this because I too have noticed the odd black textures in OpenLC NA. My friend and I have exactly the same black textures / areas at the same locations and both have OpenLC NA installed. They are not squares but randomly shaped black polygons in various odd locations. I have done full product file verification several times for the ORBX libraries and OpenLC and GLOBAL Base products.

In the winter months, I also have textures randomly changing back and forth from snow covered "white" textures to non-snow covered textures in OpenLC NA areas.

All my ORBX products which can be migrated have been migrated to Central Libraries using the ORBX Central tool. I have the latest ORBX Central tool installed.

Other than the above two texture problems, everything else seems to be working correctly.

Regards,

Rhett

Hi Rhett

1. For some users, having them installed to a central library was not causing any issues, for those that were having issues it was recommended to put them in the sim root folder.

2.  They would need to be uninstalled and then reinstalled to the root folder.

3. Yes the user guide should be getting updated regularly, although this particular issue does not affect everyone.

Hello Doug,

I have a question, im having the black squares issue and got to this thread.

Time before, the migration was not neccesary as stated by some support member because there was no "migrate" button at the time the Central program was updated to its new layout.  So i forgot about it for a while.   After flying around caribbean area i noticed several black squares and same for South America/North America, so it was time to check that out....and now, migration is there.....

Im following the described procedure above to solve my problem, but is it necesary to run migration?    Should i?   My files are installed insode the root forder(P3DV4.5), so im not sure if that option might be useful for me.

Lil Note:  Could it be a full Verify files button for all products? ...

Thanks for support

• Upvote 1
On 12/21/2019 at 4:32 AM, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hi, where are you seeing this? The new Orbx Central does not have a "run migration" function. 

Hi Doug,

I think he may be referring to the ‘migrate’ to a Central library function in ORBX Central ... in which case it would not be necessary to migrate his scenery to a Central library as per your recommendations. 

Possibly confusing the old unified lookup migrate tool with the new scenery package migrate tool. 

regards,

Rhett. 

• Like 1
On 12/20/2019 at 4:02 PM, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hi Rhett

1. For some users, having them installed to a central library was not causing any issues, for those that were having issues it was recommended to put them in the sim root folder.

2.  They would need to be uninstalled and then reinstalled to the root folder.

3. Yes the user guide should be getting updated regularly, although this particular issue does not affect everyone.

hi Doug,

Thanks for the reply. Understood. 

I think in my case I had similar problems before I migrated the ORBX global packages to a Central Library. When I get home in the new year, I am going to follow all your recommendations except the one about moving the global packages to the root folder. I do not understand how it can work for some and not for others. I will report back. 

I spent days migrating all the scenery to Central libraries for two reasons:

1. I purchased a 1TB super fast SSD especially for ORBX scenery. 

2. I would like to be able to install the latest P3Dv4.5 content and scenery updates (not just the client) which I could not do before the new ORBX Central migrate function was introduced due to all the ORBX scenery being in the root folder. 

Thanks again for your help and guidance. 

Regards,

Rhett. 

• Like 1

Don't forget that even when every addon is in a library, FTX Global textures and all the autogen definitions (and maybe more, who knows?) are still in the root folder and will likely be overwritten when you install new P3D scenery - and I don't even want to think about what that does to the simulator. ORBX should provide an update function for this.

On 12/20/2019 at 3:02 PM, Doug Sawatzky said:

For some users, having them installed to a central library was not causing any issues, for those that were having issues it was recommended to put them in the sim root folder.

Does ORBX have any clue why this is so and what the conditions are for one or the other case? You must have done some testing. If you do, please share.

Regards

Boris

• Upvote 1

Hello,

the testing is done by the Orbx Central development team in Melbourne, Australia.

We are not directly involved and of course, the office is now closed for Christmas.

As soon as it reopens, I expect them to continue researching  the various problems

and to eventually reach a solution.

It is easy to post "Orbx should" remarks, however, no other developer is even in the field that Orbx 

occupies with Global open LC products and not one of them has tried to do what Orbx are

doing. There have been "teething problems", but the lion's share have been ironed out.

I am confident that the remaining gremlins will be removed too.

In the meantime, I would ask you to be patient.

You are right. But no other developer than ORBX goes so deep into the simulator's file structure and alters so much in the configuration, undocumented in detail. So yes, ORBX should...

And saying "some users have issues, some don't, and we don't know why" is simply not what I expect from a professional developer  who wants (and has received a significant amount of) my and others' money.

But for now, I wish you all a Merry Christmas!

Boris

I too am having this issue.  Oddly, it is in the Disney world parks around the default POI's.  I do not have Orlando Cityscape.  I do have Vector and OpenLC NA.  Libraries are current and verified and I have only one instance of them in my add-on's.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 10:32 PM, Doug Sawatzky said:

Hi, where are you seeing this? The new Orbx Central does not have a "run migration" function. 

Ou yes, i now have the migration button back....and i think ive seem several users do report this same question.....    See the picture of Central/Vector, and it is V4.0.36 (Jan17):

kxw09EO-m8WWGrli1sI0UXQ33nm4P504Jh2jMfI8

You can notice the migration thingy in the LC products as well...

About the black squares problem, was spotted when flying around the Bahamas.... specifically around: MYAK, MYES, MYLS, MYAP, MYIG. 

Thanks for support

Hi 

That is the function that moves the Orbx products from the simulator root folder to an outside folder usually on a different drive, this is called the .xml install method. But in your case I would not recommend this, so please refer to my above #2 post and ensure all of the Global and OpenLC products and the Orbx Libraries are installed into the simulator root folder, not a library folder separate from the simulator.

On 12/22/2019 at 3:51 PM, Rhett said:

hi Doug,

Thanks for the reply. Understood. 

I think in my case I had similar problems before I migrated the ORBX global packages to a Central Library. When I get home in the new year, I am going to follow all your recommendations except the one about moving the global packages to the root folder. I do not understand how it can work for some and not for others. I will report back. 

I spent days migrating all the scenery to Central libraries for two reasons:

1. I purchased a 1TB super fast SSD especially for ORBX scenery. 

2. I would like to be able to install the latest P3Dv4.5 content and scenery updates (not just the client) which I could not do before the new ORBX Central migrate function was introduced due to all the ORBX scenery being in the root folder. 

Thanks again for your help and guidance. 

Regards,

Rhett. 

Hi Doug,

I would like to report back that I solved my black texture problem by doing everything you said except moving all the global packages back to the P3Dv4 root folder.

You help is really appreciated.

Regards,

• Like 1