• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rumours of our demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Even one RTX 2080tI does not bring much more fps in addition in P3D and XP11. It's not the fault of the graphics card but the total lack of optimization of the simulator.You can upgrade with the next

Posted Images

21 hours ago, wolfko said:

Great Filou! I love this feature, where only the centre of the screen is in focus. Wonder if this works also during flight or if it  is only available for screenshots.

You have this in driving sims. It's fun to play with once or twice, but only as a way to make cool screenshots. Does not represent gameplay visuals, which is good as the human eye does not function like a f/1.2 85mm lens!

• Thanks 1
On 4/17/2020 at 5:01 PM, Captain Lars said:

I'd say it's photoshop. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

It is not photoshop. It was clarified a few days ago in another forum that it is a feature of MSFS2020, but not if it is in game or just for screenshots. You can also see it in Filou's post #169

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, patful said:

Welp, think I'll be sticking with P3D4.5. i5-7600K and a 1080 won't cut it. I don't turn down settings. :unsure:

Not an ideal system, no. But it will probably cut it very nicely as it is close to recommended specs. Out of curiousity, do you have everything (and I mean everything) maxed out in Prepar3D?

7 hours ago, patful said:

Welp, think I'll be sticking with P3D4.5. i5-7600K and a 1080 won't cut it. I don't turn down settings. :unsure:

Not sure what you mean. Your CPU is well anove minimum specs and a bit under recommended specs, but the 7600k can easily be overclocked to fulfill the recommended requirements. And your GPU is even above recommended specs.

And forget about ideal requiremnts - your specs are even not ideal for any current sim. But whose are?

Most people can run MSFS2020 dead middle :)  But what most are more concern about is the bandwidth more than anything. I get almost 40 bandwidth on a good day however when streaming and having other family/friends on the network it can get crazy. 

My specs are old but at least I  can run it. Well, to a point. 

46 minutes ago, Empire said:

Most people can run MSFS2020 dead middle :)  But what most are more concern about is the bandwidth more than anything. I get almost 40 bandwidth on a good day however when streaming and having other family/friends on the network it can get crazy. 

My specs are old but at least I  can run it. Well, to a point. 

Yes, bandwith is my biggest concern too. We have a 50Mbps connection, but also here this has to be shared amongst the 5 of us in the family.

The other specs should create no problem. Al in all I think the required specs are quite reasonable. Not higher than what is recommended for current sims.

Edited by wolfko
1 hour ago, wolfko said:

Yes, bandwith is my biggest concern too. We have a 50Mbps connection, but also here this has to be shared amongst the 5 of us in the family.

The other specs should create no problem. Al in all I think the required specs are quite reasonable. Not higher than what is recommended for current sims.

I can upgrade to get higher bandwidth, and many might to, however so does the monthly price :(  And it's not always worth paying the extra price for a sim. UNless you really have the money. BUt allot don't have a choice of what there connection maxed too.

However I think people will still do P3d, being able to do addons and not to mention people can make there p3d so damn good looking that no bandwidth needed. But still early right. We don't know the cost of the new sim, sounds like subscription as well as the sim cost.

Those that have very poor bandwidth that can not download those great looking scenery from the video then P3D is far better to stick with, yet we don't know what it looks like on low end.  My specs are i7 3930K 3.8ghz with 1660TI boosted and 16gb ram    

1 hour ago, wolfko said:

Go back to the old days where only one person can use the internet at a time (only when you are flying). Problem solved ;)

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Rimshot said:

Not an ideal system, no. But it will probably cut it very nicely as it is close to recommended specs. Out of curiousity, do you have everything (and I mean everything) maxed out in Prepar3D?

Everything is maxed out except dynamic reflections and shadow quality on high, not ultra, and I don't let scenery objects, vegetation, or buildings cast shadows (though they receive them). 1920x1080. I keep FPS set at a solid 24, and that's fine for GA use to me.

4 hours ago, wolfko said:

Not sure what you mean. Your CPU is well anove minimum specs and a bit under recommended specs, but the 7600k can easily be overclocked to fulfill the recommended requirements. And your GPU is even above recommended specs.

And forget about ideal requiremnts - your specs are even not ideal for any current sim. But whose are?

It's already overclocked to 4.8. I'm just concerned that they recommend 6 cores, and 8 for ideal. I only have 4. And my 32Gb of DDR4 RAM is a slow 2400. They're not very specific about RAM speed. I was picked for the second Alpha wave, but had to decline because of a foot issue, can't use my pedals, then my joystick bit the dust when I knocked it off while elevating said bad foot. Would have been nice to see how my system performed before purchase.

Edited by patful
6 minutes ago, patful said:

It's already overclocked to 4.8. I'm just concerned that they recommend 6 cores, and 8 for ideal. I only have 4. And my 32Gb of DDR4 RAM is a slow 2400. They're not very specific about RAM speed. I was picked for the second Alpha wave, but had to decline because of a foot issue, can't use my pedals, then my joystick bit the dust when I knocked it off while elevating said bad foot. Would have been nice to see how my system performed before purchase.

They reccommend certain processors not cores. 

I watched a youtube video on how much cores do you need for X-Plane. Just marginal differences in performance using 16 cores or  4 cores although the recommended cpu has 8 cores. I know this might be comparing apples with oranges but anyhow...

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, ZoSoChile said:

Go back to the old days where only one person can use the internet at a time (only when you are flying). Problem solved ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

BTW I was wrong, we already have 80Mbps.

Edited by wolfko

my spec computer is slightly better than the recommended  mid range  - but I estimate

a cost of around $4000 Australian to match that super spec - so step one for me is to

stay where I am with what I have - i.e.P3D  4 or 5 - Steam FSX - and all my Orbx - and an

aircraft hangar that contains up to date aircraft - and the FSX for all the oldies that don't fit P3D

I actually manage 30 FPS on P3D with most sliders to the right - and FSX right over.

In November (US "Holiday") - I will be replacing my current X box for the new Series X and by that time

MS might have 2020 available for it. The spec for the X box is well up to the top spec for 2020 which is not

exactly surprising with both from MS - and brings in 4K HDR 120 Hz  as a minimum -  and 8K 60 Hz

which also means the ability to use large size TVs of the latest quality - eg OLED

I will use both the P3D setup as well as the 2020 because I doubt that MS will offer the ability to use the old aircraft

My internet - NBN - gives me 50 Mps - and I can go to 100 Mps for another $10

https://youtu.be/pyD5QE0USyw

Aussie Simmer sums it all up on U-Tube - 

Edited by John Heaton
18 hours ago, patful said:

Everything is maxed out except dynamic reflections and shadow quality on high, not ultra, and I don't let scenery objects, vegetation, or buildings cast shadows (though they receive them). 1920x1080. I keep FPS set at a solid 24, and that's fine for GA use to me.

About the same as my settings, although I have toned down the autogen density to 'very dense'. I also get good performance and I'm convinced if I can get this in the old Prepar3D engine MSFS will perform very nicely without having to put all sliders to the left. It is not a flight simulator, but I can run Red Dead Redemption 3 at high settings with my ancient system. I'm confident MSFS will do good as well and your system should be able to cope with it nicely too :)

• Like 1
6 hours ago, John Heaton said:

because I doubt that MS will offer the ability to use the old aircraft

Well... I wouldn't be surprised if they actually work. At least the xml planes I guess.

I've read once that the possibility of supporting ESP aircraft was planned in some kind of legacy mode.

It looks as if you have beaten FS Elite to the punch with this Filou!

More screenshots to make us salivate with impatience for next Dec to get here

for my perfect combo MS2020 and X Box Series X. 

I make an assumption that most Alpha testers are using the usual hardware controls available now

but I do wonder what is being worked on for the X Box - ?? - Thrustmaster  - where are you with a Yoke.

In the above release is a short mention of a new 747 being released to the Alpha testers.

Soooh - which partner is that coming from ?? - the next update on partners is in May

Just Flight have been pushing the progress of their 747 for P3D for some time - will this be another case

of development war - Vis - 2020 Vs P3d V5 - ??

Another video, okay some parts are a bit overblown, but it is interesting what she says about performance - and that MSFS can also be played offline. Maybe good new for those with little bandwith.

• Like 2

150 GB ist not that much for the whole world. That's roughly the size of 3 Orbx TE SD ( Standard Definition) regions installed. For installing 3 SD regions you will even need about 250 GB.

Do I see some repetitions and patterns in this pic? I definitely saw repetitive water textures in a preview video recently.

47 minutes ago, wolfko said:

Do I see some repetitions and patterns in this pic? I definitely saw repetitive water textures in a preview video recently.

It looks like there are some repeating lines in the clouds pic. The human eye is very good at picking up repeating patterns, although I can't actually see what is repeating so it's likely just our minds playing tricks on us :-)

For me, personally, I won't be rushing in to buy this new MS sim. I'm going to wait a while, let others be guinea pigs trying it out, discovering bugs, finding things missing or not working, and then eventually when things get sorted, I'll consider going for it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, orbmoke said:

For me, personally, I won't be rushing in to buy this new MS sim. I'm going to wait a while, let others be guinea pigs trying it out, discovering bugs, finding things missing or not working, and then eventually when things get sorted, I'll consider going for it.

This has always been my usual tactic with al new sim  and sim related releases.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, orbmoke said:

I thought there are already a few thousand guinea pigs at work, arent' they?

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, pmb said:

I thought there are already a few thousand guinea pigs at work, arent' they?

Kind regards, Michael

I wouldn't call them guinea pics. Since they didn't have to pay for alpha testing they do not bear any risk in contrast to real guinea pigs. 

Actually the possibility of a temporary subscription would minimize the risk of being guinea pigs for all of us.

Edited by wolfko
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, wolfko said:

I wouldn't call them guinea pics. Since they didn't have to pay for alpha testing they do not bear any risk in contrast to real guinea pigs. 

Actually the possibility of a temporary subscription would minimize the risk of being guinea pigs for all of us.

The risk of wasting your time is risk enough if it doesn't deliver on what you need, just another Guinea pig on a wheel :D

human_hamster_wheel_1.jpg

• Haha 4
On 5/1/2020 at 6:26 AM, wolfko said:

I only see gobs of Cauliflower...what do you see? ;)

Just my opinion on observations of the various scenery addons for X-Plane 11 that are available now and yet to come (MSFS2020).

Percentage accuracy compared to the real world.

Laminar X-Plane 11 Default = 25%

Orbx TE = 75%

Orbx Airports = 85%

MSFS 2020 = 95% +

These are very approximate estimations that I have come up with. Others may have different views on this.

Edited by orbmoke
Added text.
43 minutes ago, orbmoke said:

Just my opinion on observations of the various scenery addons for X-Plane 11 that are available now and yet to come (MSFS2020).

Percentage accuracy compared to the real world.

Laminar X-Plane 11 Default = 25%

Orbx TE = 75%

Orbx Airports = 85%

MSFS 2020 = 95% +

These are very approximate estimations that I have come up with. Others may have different views on this.

Regarding atmospheric lighting, lighting in general, real time weather, cloud textures, water rextures, rain effects, etc., etc., multiplayer, real time real world traffic... MSFS 2020 is at 150 % ;)

2 minutes ago, orbmoke said:

@FILOU - looking at the various screenshots from MSFS 2020 (and yours posted above) over the last few months or so, I haven't seen any 2D scenery at all - it appears to be all 3D. Is this correct?

What do you mean with 3D/2D scenery?