Hello,

I have removed the posts referring to this matter, thanks to those of you who took the trouble to advise Paul.

On 11/30/2019 at 5:23 AM, John Heaton said:

There is a simple answer to all this pondering on Internet speeds - and quality of Hardware needed - subscriptions  etc.-

If one has been listening closely  to those French accents - you will have heard them say that MS will

cover all these problems by the software "assessing" your Hardware - Internet - etc - and providing you with 

best you can expect. - ( and if you wish - for around $10 per month)

However -  the simple answer??? - for around $A600 (the current price of an X BOX ONE X) - You will be able to buy  around Aug/Sept 2020

an X BOX TWO - (which is better than the best PC around $ 5000 - (I9 - 2080TI - SSI)) - and have  the full quality sim. from MS. - 

In 4K HDR10. (in time for my 85th Birthday in Sept.)

I currently use my X BOX one X for all the latest and fastest FPS games around - and my Max download speed is only 48MPS (6MBs)

via Co - Ax Cable (our NBS) - I can go to 100 - but I've been doing this now since XBOX 1 X came out a year ago with Perfect 4K  HDR10 resolution on my 43" NVIDIA

driven TV set/monitor.

I also have a game pass subscription for $A10.50 /month for a choice of any game on offer - and that's all it has cost me - in the same

12 months - except for a Thrustmaster Steering wheel for my F1 and Forza racing games - so maybe all I will need is the new X Box TWO

I will probably keep both my XP and PR3D as well to make use of the A/C investments to date and especially my Oceana and TE Britain Orbx softwares

Q.E.D.

I have never owned a Gaming Box from any manufacturer, unless you would include Atari's PONG in 1983 as one. Then I have...but I am most interested now in this discussion of X Box II, in that I could have a so portable flight simulator system, that could be taken to any room/TV/dedicated computer monitor, as well as upon vacation and travel in the R.V.   That is really resonating for me.   And, as you say...I own presently an EVGA FTW 1070 graphics card...and why for the life of me, would I now invest in a GTX1080Ti, or a 2080Ti, with both popping over $1,000.00, when I could buy an ENTIRE system for less (less monitor), that is guaranteed to run MSFS 2020 (x) at absolute premium screen output, and logistics (FPS..whatever)!   Oh yeah...I'm going to be looking at this as well, Q.E.D!

Post Edit:  I just read three articles on the Xbox II.

Speculation removed - please do not publish your opinions as if they were fact.

The idea in these forums is that Microsoft publishes facts and then the customers discuss them.

If customers wish to put forward their own theories on how Microsoft will proceed, there are plenty

of other forums where that can be done.

Thanks.

Does anybody else keep trying to see if they have been chosen for any of the Alfa’s.I keep looking at my emails and na, nothing yet. :-[. Mean it looks so good I just want to confirm that it looks as good as it does. Derek.

On 1/29/2020 at 10:37 PM, Dadtom65 said:

Does anybody else keep trying to see if they have been chosen for any of the Alfa’s.I keep looking at my emails and na, nothing yet.

From what MS have said, all those who have registered for the alpha will be given access at some point. There has been discussion on whether you need a certain specification of PC to get early access, for example at least 32GB DDR RAM, but I suspect the best spec is a little patience!

• Like 1

I dropped out of Alpha two weeks ago before ever receiving an invite. Today I got my download instructions. Well done! :lol:

Wow! That is unbelievable. I'm beginning to wonder if this is all just the world's biggest ever April Fool's joke, it looks too real to be true. I know there's been talk elsewhere about subscription models, X-box and all sorts of other stuff, but I've got to say I need to have this whatever the cost/model <grin>.

I dare say there'll be a few posts here about the end of Orbx, Flightbeam and various others, but I would like to imagine instead what Orbx and those others can do using the SDK to come up with even more and better add-ons. Now that really would be world class icing on a world class cake.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

I dare say there'll be a few posts here about the end of Orbx, Flightbeam and various others, but I would like to imagine instead what Orbx and those others can do using the SDK to come up with even more and better add-ons. Now that really would be world class icing on a world class cake.

Yeah i totally agree with this, i hate to hear goodbye ORBX etc in my opinion this just isn't true. Like you said it will only be world class icing on a world class cake.  

They’ve upgraded 80 airports of 37,000.  Many of those 80 have not had the full treatment.  That only leaves 36,920 (plus a good number of the other 80) for devs.

The sky will not fall...

Edited by Mickel

That is pretty impressive.  Look forward to giving it a serious look once it has VR support

Edited by BrettT

27 minutes ago, Donka said:

MSFS2020

Hello,

do you think that this:

3.jpg

is just a working title?

Or could it be the actual name and logo that they plan to use?

"Flight Simulator" is also the title of a whole series of flight simulators, so that the name "Flight Simulator" leaves something to desire in terms of unambiguity.

I would think they will stick with that logo since they are using that on their published teaser/video updates etc.

This looks all very good and interesting, but remember that they gave special treatment to "just" 80 airports. To be honest, I couldn't make out anything ground-breaking in some of these like the Bolivian one, the one on the Maldives or Queenstown. And Saba looks a bit cartoonish. I'd say there's still plenty of room for Addon developers.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

"Flight Simulator" is also the title of a whole series of flight simulators, so that the name "Flight Simulator" leaves something to desire in terms of unambiguity.

In fact, as far as I can tell, there has so far never been a simulator named  "Microsoft Flight Simulator".

There has apparently always been a version number, though as my source is Wikipedia, it might not be definitive.

7 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

never been a simulator named  "Microsoft Flight Simulator".

That's true.... and all the better for not having a version number or date. 

1 hour ago, BrettT said:

Look forward to giving it a serious look once it has VR support

If you watched the original developer videos, Asobo's coup was to convince Microsoft a reboot could capture the mass market. Maybe the niche markets will get a look in once they're convinced they have a successful product.

7 hours ago, John Venema said:

Rumours of our demise have been greatly exaggerated.

When I used to mark essays I would have annotated this 'dev', meaning develop your point!;)

48 minutes ago, MarkH said:

If you watched the original developer videos, Asobo's coup was to convince Microsoft a reboot could capture the mass market. Maybe the niche markets will get a look in once they're convinced they have a successful product.

I've seen the developer videos.  It is impressive what they are doing.  I have tried flying non-VR since adopting VR and just can't bring myself to go back regardless of how good the product is.  To me it is just that different.  I have no doubt they will have a successful product.  In the interim, I have P3D, DCS and a smidgen of X-plane to keep me happy :-)

MSFS 2020 February 20th, 2020 - Development Update

There is also a world map to know: "WHERE IN THE WORLD IS THAT?"

https://www.flightsimulator.com/

13 hours ago, Mickel said:

They’ve upgraded 80 airports of 37,000.  Many of those 80 have not had the full treatment.  That only leaves 36,920 (plus a good number of the other 80) for devs.

The sky will not fall...

That’s what I was thinking when I watched the video yesterday. There will likely be 80 airports of Orbx quality at launch, but it will leave 29000 airports waiting to be enhanced. And I am sure peopled will want them enhanced if spoiled by the 80 select airports. That’s human nature. There will also be a lot of scenery of low quality. Just have a look at Bing map and you will know that. The otherwise beauty of FS2020 will make these low and inconsistent scenery even more prominent and unbearable. All this will create more opportunity for Orbx. People always wants enhancements, and 3rd party will live.

Of course there will more challenge ahead. People will be accustomed to be given a world of ortho and hundreds of 3d photogrammetry regions as default, and they will be less willing to pay premium price for a single airport and a small region. So business model will change. People will expect to get better and bigger enhanced region at lower price than before.

13 hours ago, John Venema said:

Rumours of our demise have been greatly exaggerated.

The human mind is quite creative. But if people in our hobby have been around for long enough to know a thing or two, they should know this new sim + SDK is growth for developers not an apocalypse. 

Best regards, 

Ridvan Celik 

Hi Guys.

I put a little post here, about a week ago, to do with the state of my new sim.

In the video that I posted within the post, It has a  brave statement indicating that we will be using  MSFS 2020 for our visuals I our new 737 MAX 8 cockpit.

I don't have any inside info, I don't have a crystal ball.

I watch, I listen, I read and I read.

There is a changing of the guard. That does not mean that the old palace will fall down, just more variety to choose from.

You guys are intelligent, aviation followers. Perception is one of the tools for flying.

You can't bury your head in the sand about this. ORBX will be OK, as will all of our favourite manufacturers. They are survivors and will eek out a marketplace. Their products are just too valuable to dismiss.

I am by no means saying you have to go that way, but every other forum I visit is now way past..."if it's subscription, I'm not having it".

Embrace the future and keep informed.  This could just be the Nirvana that we have all wanted for such a long time.

Frank

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

In fact, as far as I can tell, there has so far never been a simulator named  "Microsoft Flight Simulator".

There has apparently always been a version number, though as my source is Wikipedia, it might not be definitive.

It is confusing to name the newest iteration of a series of video game titles, which are all labelled "Microsoft Flight Simulator" with varying appendices, "Microsoft Flight Simulator" without any distinguishable appendix.

Makes sense though.  (at the risk of Nick’s ire for speculation)  These days ‘games’ evolve, rather than get replaced by a 2, 3, IV etc...  examples are Kerbal or Elite. So just calling it Flight Simulator is logical.

8 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

It is confusing

One would need to be very easily confused to mistake "Microsoft Flight Simulator" for any

of the previous versions, not least because of the need to buy them on Floppy Disk, CD or DVD,

not to mention the fact that they are no longer available and in many cases will not even install

onto a modern PC or run once installed.

I would agree that using a definitive name seems to be the current and indeed best way but as

with the Orbx installer, it seems that potential users will continue to invent their own names.:)

13 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

It is confusing to name the newest iteration of a series of video game titles, which are all labelled "Microsoft Flight Simulator" with varying appendices, "Microsoft Flight Simulator" without any distinguishable appendix.

If I remember correctly, they (MS) mentioned in one of the earlier videos that they will be in it for the long haul, they plan to continually evolve MSFS together with Asobo for the next ten years. If this is their current thinking, a name like Microsoft Flight Simulator 11 or 2020 etc might not be feasable from a pure marketing point of view; hence the idea to name it just Microsoft Flight Simulator. Just my 2 cents ;)

And whatever the name is or will be, I will buy it anyway, because it is fantastic and I look very much forward to have my MSFS airports/bush airstrips populated with ORBX products. 

Here's a potted history (credits to Wiki):

Although flight simulators existed (for pilots) from as early as 1910, amateur computer based FS probably started when Bruce Artwick formed SubLOGIC and wrote a program called FS1 Flight Simulator in 1977 for the readers of a 3D graphics magazine. They started selling it for early PC's like the Altair 8080.
In 1982 he licenced an IBM PC version to Microsoft, calling it Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.00.
In 1983 Flight Simulator II was released for the Apple II, ported to the Commodore 64, MSX and Altari in 1984 and the Amiga and Atari in 1986

Bruce left SubLOGIC and founded a new company which produced Microsoft Flight Simulator 3 in 1988. Version 3.1 was the first commercially successful FS.

Microsoft continued to develop FS 2000 and 2002 adding more aircraft, tools and scenery, and the 2004 (FS version 9) marked 100 years of flight. Flight Simulator X was released in 2006, with a better graphics engine and direct X and Windows Vista compatibility.

In 2007 the Aces Studio release Microsoft ESP a development platform that allowed products to use the technology in Flight Simulator. The Aces Game Studio closed in 2009. Lockheed Martin negotiated an agreement with MS in 2009 to use the ESP to produce Prepar3D, and some of the original Aces team continued to work with them. This evolved into the 64bit P3Dv4 in 2017.

In 2012 MS released Microsoft Flight, a simpler version, to encourage newcomers to simming, abut was incompatible with previous add-ons. It was cancelled later that year.

In 2014 Dovetail Games negotiated a deal with MS to release Flight Simulator X Gold (Steam Edition)This bundled many of the expansion packs together, benefited for microsoft visual studio to complie better performance, as well as better multiplayer and stability on Windows 7 and 8.

Microsoft Flight Simulator was announced in June 2019, for release in 2020.

The Wiki entry in full can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

One would need to be very easily confused to mistake "Microsoft Flight Simulator" for any

of the previous versions, not least because of the need to buy them on Floppy Disk, CD or DVD,

not to mention the fact that they are no longer available and in many cases will not even install

onto a modern PC or run once installed.

I would agree that using a definitive name seems to be the current and indeed best way but as

with the Orbx installer, it seems that potential users will continue to invent their own names.:)

:)

"What's your hobby?"

"I like Microsoft Flight Simulator."

"Since when?"

"??"

"I mean, when did you start simming? FS98?"

"What do you mean, it's only out since this year."

11 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

If I remember correctly, they (MS) mentioned in one of the earlier videos that they will be in it for the long haul, they plan to continually evolve MSFS together with Asobo for the next ten years. If this is their current thinking, a name like Microsoft Flight Simulator 11 or 2020 etc might not be feasable from a pure marketing point of view; hence the idea to name it just Microsoft Flight Simulator. Just my 2 cents ;)

And whatever the name is or will be, I will buy it anyway, because it is fantastic and I look very much forward to have my MSFS airports/bush airstrips populated with ORBX products. 

That's it, it's all marketing.

On 2/23/2020 at 7:02 PM, Nick Cooper said:

it seems that potential users will continue to invent their own names.:)

According to what is purported to be an official announcement:---

The name of the new X BOX  - will be ----- X BOX Series X

and chosen by MS because they want a new series of Hardware and Games to use the words 

--- Series X--

Stand by for Microsoft Flight Simulator Series X --- ??? 

The spec of the XBOX will include - AMD 8 Core 12 Teraflops - 28GB DDR6 RAM - + Propriety SSD space

3D Dolby sound - Full ray tracing - and resolution of 8Kx60fps - 4Kx120fps

No VR !! --- Yet!!

All above - I don't think is speculation -  and is sourced from all the latest specs on Utube over the last week

price will compete directly to the new PS5 - reported by Sony -  as around $us 450

After the last few debacles with MSFS series I could care less about it.  Quite happy with Orbx and all the other programs I have for P3D and what is it going to take computer wise to run it half decent with all the jaw dropping weather and such. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1