Jump to content

answered TrueEarth Nor Cal KMRY Problems


Recommended Posts

Very disappointed with the Monterey area. The runway at KMRY is almost unusable. There are floating buildings at the airport, particularly near GA parking. The ocean "shimmer" reflections are "boxed" (i.e., they end with an abrupt line) which looks awful. I realize the airports in TrueEarth are default, but TrueEarth makes KMRY worse than default.

kmry1.jpg

kmry2.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Orbx does not include any airports in True Earth for reasons that are in Page 5 of the User Guide.

 

KMRY can be made usable for operations by unticking the "Runways follow terrain contours (requires scenery reload)" option in the control panel.

 

Water reflection details such as you have mentioned were cleaned up during the beta phase, this looks like one that has slipped through.  No doubt it will be added to a service pack list.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2019 at 12:32 AM, John Dow said:

Orbx does not include any airports in True Earth for reasons that are in Page 5 of the User Guide.

 

KMRY can be made usable for operations by unticking the "Runways follow terrain contours (requires scenery reload)" option in the control panel.

 

 

Unchecking "Runways follow terrain" creates more problem than it solves. The wonky runway and floating buildings is not a default scenery issue, this is a problem with the mesh you're using and the terrain smoothing settings you're using at KMRY, which are obviously not what they should be. KMRY is a Class C airport and the Monterey Peninsula is a huge tourist area, I'm surprised it wasn't given more attention to detail.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I confirm that I see one floating building which is a large brown one towards the ocean end runway. I don't see floating buildings, plural. I also believe that this is due to the underlying mesh used in the NorCal addon. I am hoping that Orbx are going to port the P3D KMRY airport for XP which may resolve this issue. I have made a "flattened" version of the default KMRY but although it removes the lumps and bumps of the runway and there are no floaters, it does create a cliff edge at the ocean end runway.

@Nick Cooper Hello Nick. Can we add to or relabel this as a BUG Report?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 7 months later...

Hello guys, I just wanted to check in and see if there's any fix on the way for the mesh in the scenery for the MRY area? This class Charlie airport is in a very nice place to fly into, and makes a nice stopover in this region for anyone that has a couple of hours available after work to fly into in the sim. Also, I concur on the described water masking issue picture above in the OP's post, it would be nice to have that resolved as it does look terrible, particularly if you are shooting the course reversal into ILS 10R (as attached).

 

Thanks!!!

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 11.45.22 AM copy.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jon, PLEASE use what ever leverage you may have to encourage porting KMRY over to XP. This is a high tourist area and one that a large percentage of your users will want to use, and unchecking the runway follows contours is not a true viable fix because doing that you introduce faults into other airports. They were able to port it to Aerofly, I can't imagine that porting it to XP would be that much more difficult.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kerrygipe said:

Jon, PLEASE use what ever leverage you may have to encourage porting KMRY over to XP. This is a high tourist area and one that a large percentage of your users will want to use, and unchecking the runway follows contours is not a true viable fix because doing that you introduce faults into other airports. They were able to port it to Aerofly, I can't imagine that porting it to XP would be that much more difficult.

I would love to assist but i think you overestimate my "leverage":lol:

@Greg Jones for comment please regarding the possibility of porting KMRY to XP.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jon Clarke said:

I would love to assist but i think you overestimate my "leverage":lol:

@Greg Jones for comment please regarding the possibility of porting KMRY to XP.

 

It's not on the plan for the foreseeable future but these things are always subject to change!

 

Greg

Link to post
Share on other sites

>It's not on the plan for the foreseeable future but these things are always subject to change!

 

If I buy you a brand new crystal ball to help you see better into the future would that help? I'll make you a deal...I will even give you my wifes new car that I bought her. Looking around here, she hasn't been sweeping any thing up with it anyways.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do remember reading Orbx planned to port all of their scenery to X-Plane. Is this no longer the case?

I would think any Orbx airport within a TE area would sell well given that we X-Plane fliers appreciate nicely matched ortho with highly detailed airports!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do we have to pay for another airport to be ported just to fix an issue that is a developer over sight. Is there a fix for MONTEREY?? This is my home airport I can't fly into it with True Earth. There is a way, someone just has to spend a little time to fix it is all. What is the solution gentlemen?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Starseed said:

Why do we have to pay for another airport to be ported just to fix an issue that is a developer over sight. Is there a fix for MONTEREY?? This is my home airport I can't fly into it with True Earth. There is a way, someone just has to spend a little time to fix it is all. What is the solution gentlemen?

I can only repeat the fact that Orbx doesn't include any airports in the TE series. This not a "developer oversight". They are ALL Laminar default Gateway airports. Orbx TE series includes an accurate mesh which may affect some airport elevations and it is the responsibility of Laminar devs to correct their airport elevation issues. Orbx has no authority at all to mod any non Orbx airport.

There is a version of KMRY freeware available at the x-plane.org sire which may offer a solution which you can try.

I will also ask again @Tony Wroblewski if there is anything that Orbx may be able to do that doesn't mod the airport but resolves any mesh issue.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/20150-kmry-monterey-regional-airport/

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Starseed said:

I disagree sir, Laminar airports work fine without your product installed that is an issue.............

They will work fine because they are designed to work with default scenery and default mesh. TE is not default scenery and not default mesh, hence on occasions you are going to get an anomaly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@SimCaesar @Torbin @kerrygipe

There was another post thread about KMRY here in this forum and the fix regarding elevation was this version which I also submitted a "flatten" apt.dat.

Here is the link:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/62821-monterey-peninsula-reginal-airport-v11/

 and here is the modded apt.dat that need to be placed in the Earth nav data folder replacing the existing apt.dat.

apt.zip

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was offered as a fix for the bumpy runway. It is obvious that there is a mesh issue with TE NoCal and KMRY and as i am not a dev I am not aware of the process required to resolve the issue. Hence I have asked the dev @Tony Wroblewski to comment. He is the only one that can advise on the issue. 

Until he does I can only offer bumpy runway or cliff edge unfortunately.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 7/6/2020 at 11:01 PM, Jon Clarke said:

TE series includes an accurate mesh which may affect some airport elevations and it is the responsibility of Laminar devs to correct their airport elevation issues.

 

Look at the very first picture i posted in this thread. That does not look like "accurate mesh" to me. I don't even understand the second half of your statement, how are the mesh problems with your product Laminar's responsibility?

 

My disappointment with KMRY extends beyond the airport. In addition to the problems mentioned in my original post, Monterey's Fisherman's Wharf is just a couple of autogen buildings on top of an Ortho photo floating in the Pacific ocean. The commercial wharf was also not 3D modeled, nor were any of the boat piers. Historic Cannery Row is done halfway and poorly at that, just a handful of generic buildings (KNRY tower is not a cell phone tower, BTW). Orbx built a reputation as the gold-standard for add-on scenery, but Monterey is an embarrassment.

 

1 hour ago, Jon Clarke said:

Hence I have asked the dev @Tony Wroblewski to comment. He is the only one that can advise on the issue.

 

My original post in this thread goes back almost eight months. Since then no updates, no fixes, no comments from "the dev," nothing except excuses that don't make much sense.

Edited by SimCaesar
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been in touch with the devs and it is noted as a bug. It will be looked at and put into an update. No timeline is given but rest assured it will be attended to.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...