After visiting the Resort at Kings Canyon for a belated breakfast, we took a local mobility provider to move on.

keOzX8f.jpg

Climbing out, you can see Kings Canyon to the right of this screenie.

jmcizNf.jpg

If you like to see more, look here.

In case you need a stop, Kings Creek Station is the first (and last) option for a while.

Crr4SE6.jpg

An aerial view of Kings Creek Station. The regular "commercial" area to the left, the airstrip easily to see (as written before: The OZx model is 100 % accurate!), and the campground is just under the right engine of the King Air.

wM0JCCR.jpg

Did I show you our little kitchen helper already?

am7ule2.jpg

No worries, we follow Luritja road southwards until the next crossing.

0RhDAia.jpg

Ernest Giles road, looks like an easy shortcut on the way to the northeast...

FKlJNbt.jpg

... and pretty straightforward in the Orbx depiction.

qGhjR9C.jpg

However, the road has its challenge.

s4MCOTD.jpg

You´d better have a proper vehicle, and an experienced driver. We had (not me, of course).

(PS: This is not a parking lot. This is just stopped on the "highway".)

Hqqarxl.jpg

Crossing Palmer "River". Surely it was dry.

W9sojwJ.jpg

And the end of the road there should be the Henbury Craters. Sounds interesting, but we did not get the time for a detour here.

Uu8L35B.jpg

Finally, near the OZx airstrip "Henbury", we reach Stuart Highway, the next paved road.

qHbNRCq.jpg

We´ll turn left, but I keep that for the next post...

lO45RVW.jpg

• Like 7

Great stories Gerold. Reminds me of my trip to Australia in 2018, although we took an airliner to cross the country from Darwin to Sidney. :)

But we visited several nature parks south and east of Darwin, so the highways and the outback are very well known to me.

It was then, when we also parked on the highway, that I saw a nebula in space for the first time.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Grand post indeed Gerold.

cheers

Iain

Thank you, Iain!

4 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Enjoyed your post Gerold!!!!!!!!!  I like the screenshots and then the real pictures, very nice.

Thanks for watching & commenting so kindly, John!

3 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

Great stories Gerold. Reminds me of my trip to Australia in 2018, although we took an airliner to cross the country from Darwin to Sidney. :)

But we visited several nature parks south and east of Darwin, so the highways and the outback are very well known to me.

It was then, when we also parked on the highway, that I saw a nebula in space for the first time.

Talking about the nebula: Indeed, the darkness out in the desert is something you will always have to see & feel yourself in person. No way to have it printed in books or posted on Instagram... This massive amount of stars, plus the milky way :wub:...

3 hours ago, paddler said:

Great shots. Had a close encounter myself in Tassie about 4 years back with a Huntsman on the ceiling over the bed, wife's side. She was less impressed than I.

Rick

I have a slight idea why your wife was less impressed, Rick. My first encounter with a huntsman was also in Tassie (Bicheno), also in my hotel room, and also 4 years ago. Unfortunately I was not fast enough to grab a camera (or just not cool enough, judge yourself).

Another great mixture of shots, thank you for taking the time to post these, and I agree that the darkness/coolness/silence and heat/isolation of Australia's red centre can only really be appreciated by personal experience

• Like 1

Wonderful images and photos from your outback adventure Gerold.

I went on an outback camping tour many years ago and after two nights the tent was dispensed with and it was the sleeping bag in the open air. :)

Just amazing to look up at the stars but the dust storm at 2am in the Harts Range wasn't so good!:o

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, musterpilot said:

Very well done hope you enjoyed your trip

John

We did so and I guess you can see and read it between the lines here. Thanks!

10 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Very nice yet again Gerold, I'm really enjoying your tour!

My pleasure, Jack. I love to share good sights, as much as I love to see them here - be it virtual or even real.

12 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Another great mixture of shots, thank you for taking the time to post these, and I agree that the darkness/coolness/silence and heat/isolation of Australia's red centre can only really be appreciated by personal experience

Thank you TT. You make a point, these combinations take a bit of a time. On the other hand, getting back memories is just so great, isn´t it?

10 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Wonderful images and photos from your outback adventure Gerold.

I went on an outback camping tour many years ago and after two nights the tent was dispensed with and it was the sleeping bag in the open air. :)

Just amazing to look up at the stars but the dust storm at 2am in the Harts Range wasn't so good!:o

Come on jolly swagman, just a little filter over mouth & nose will do! But not at 2 am, that´s true... :ph34r:

nqwfXJz.jpg

• Haha 2