John Venema

announcement [FSX & P3D] openLC Africa pre-beta previews!

Very happy, too. I have quite a number of (mostly North-) African airports which would benefit much from being imbedded into OpenLC Africa.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

Very, very nice!
The Cairo and Cape Town views check out well against Google Earth.

Any chance we could in future have a Table Mountain depiction similar to the Ayers Rock, Monument Valley, Devil's Tower models and textures that Orbx have done previously?
That would be the absolute cherry on top for me.

27 minutes ago, pmb said:

Very happy, too. I have quite a number of (mostly North-) African airports which would benefit much from being imbedded into OpenLC Africa.

I have a few scattered all over the continent plus another handful in the Middle East. This looks to be a massive improvement on what we have now.
Looking forward to this.

Looking splendid. Looking forward to shots of Morocco, Madagascar, and Tanzania's Kilimanjaro. Good luck in the final run and with all the testing. 

• Like 1

WOW!!!!!!   Can't wait to fly home to Ghana!!! These screen shots are amazing!!! Keep up the excellent work guys... Much appreciated!!

Richard

Obviously an update that is welcomed by many of us here.

Will there be some improved mesh data, as you have made for South America? From the screenies I suspect South Africa will strongly profit from such.

• Like 2

This looks amazing! I know Africa is a huge continent, so I have no issues with the wait. I am sure that is a TON of scenery development work there. Looks great so far!

• Like 3

For anyone interested, Recife Brazil (SBRF) is already an interesting airport in FSX.  Its where the eastern bulge of South America closes the gap across the Atlantic to Africa.  So you can fly down to Recife gas up and fly across the Atlantic to Africa, stopping on Ascension Island if need be.  

• Like 1

look forward for this latest addition. to reminiscent  of the years a spend in Africa  during the 60s .Undoubtedly things have changed since then

• Upvote 1

What a great addition this is going to be to our virtual world.:)

Meanwhile we have just a few ORBX places to fly around while we wait.;):huh::lol:

• Haha 1

Ah, some drip-feeding at last ^_^ ! The textures are lovely. That looks certainly promising but difficult to say anything else without the shot coordinates.

An example. Looking at Lagos, West of the airport. No comparison with the default scenery which is a shameful joke (rural landscape !). The OLC rendition is accurate in its spirit if I may say so but (for the beta testers :)) I don't see the green finger-like axes along rivers (a Vector problem ?) nor the huge rectangular AFB compound . The airport perimeter iself should be green and woody too West and North of the runways. These are details which would be  less important in the boondocks but not around an international airport.

Now, in the "Give 'em a finger and they will eat your arm" department,  if we could get a view of Israel and the Jordan valley,  Northern Mali, and the Tiran Straits KSA side ...

Will it also cover the near East on the Arab peninsular eg Jordan, Turkey or the UAE? 

Kind regards. 

Edited by sun_king_135

Sweet! Given the size of that continent, that's going to be a lot of flying. Thanks for the previews.

Edited by Sundog

John thanks for this - looking forward.

So wow, you did include shots of Saudi and Yemen... so the Arabian peninsula is included, or at least part of it.  That means at least part of the Middle East is going to be considered Africa for LC purposes.

It would be interesting to learn where the LC border will run for this product... 

Edited by Ripcord
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ripcord said:

John thanks for this - looking forward.

So wow, you did include shots of Saudi and Yemen... so the Arabian peninsula is included, or at least part of it.  That means at least part of the Middle East is going to be considered Africa for LC purposes.

It would be interesting to learn where the LC border will run for this product... 

I think the border will be Iran's northern and eastern border.

Thanks for sharing these screenshots.
No doubt there will be many African countries that have surface with much green as visible in the screenshots above.

Could you give us some screenshots of areas that show the explicit African red soil,?

Thanks!
Bram

36 minutes ago, Bram Stikkel said:

Could you give us some screenshots of areas that show the explicit African red soil,?

Timbuktu in Northern Mali, Madagascar, Namibia for instance ;)

Here's a link to a part of Africa, showing the soilcolor I mean. What one sees in the satelite image, is a mix of rock and soil or a mix of sand and soil.
However, the average soil runway in the continent has a red orange kind of colour, It would be great if you could give a general gravel and mud runway this typical color..
If you do the search African bush airstrip, you see what I mean.
Ofcourse, depending on the season, the ground can be grassy and green or muddy and red-orange or a mix of it.

gen_bush_airstrip2.jpgIMG_4657.JPG

• Like 1