20 minutes ago, DexyRed said:

I can assure you that England is not especially merry these days ;)

I sort of assumed that, but what do I know?

We have so much crying here the visibility is normally 1/8 mile in dense noise.

I’m more curious if ORBX is still planning to develop TrueEarth Northern California since Microsoft is going to cover the entire earth. I do know that just about everyone involved is under NDA. For me personally I hope they continue to develop it.

9 minutes ago, Jrbaird19 said:

I’m more curious if ORBX is still planning to develop TrueEarth Northern California since Microsoft is going to cover the entire earth. I do know that just about everyone involved is under NDA. For me personally I hope they continue to develop it.

It's currently in beta testing with more information soon

• Like 1

F737NG makes an interesting point about selective purchasing.

In the early days we would all wait for the next Region or airfield to be released and buy it immediately.

But, as the ORBX product range both widens and deepens, in a technical sense, selective purchasing is a natural consequence anyway.

My primary flight sim useage is with a JetMax 738 using P3Dv4.5, ASP and the European Regions and OLC plus Aus v2.

Where MSFS 2020 interests me is having a replacement for the repetitive tiles in the OLCs which are so annoying when flying at high-level on a clear day.  To have as well an “under cast” that goes out to, a realistic, 600 km when at say FL350 is a massive step forward for the “tube liner” flyer.

What I would not wish to loose, however, is ORBXs airfields which, again, I now purchase very selectively and usually during sales !

Rgds

Chris

Flying out of Fairoaks airport to the Isle of Wight with Orbx TE UK and Orbx Fairoaks is as real as is possible.

I've flown the route in the real world often and ORBX is SPOT ON. I'll be surprised if  FS2020 can beat such detailed accuracy.

This might be a long bow to draw... OLC Africa and Asia were on the back burner for a loooong time.  Now both are intended to be out by  the end of the year.  MSFS comes along.  Coincidence?  Possibly.  Or perhaps they fit, given much of those places might be short of data for MSFS.  Either way, I’m buying both for P3D because MSFS won’t be ‘complete’ on Day 1.  It will take time for the assorted third party stuff to come on line.

Mike

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Let’s see MSFS2020 no ATC, AI AC or Seasons on launch...!

I think I will be buying Orbx products for P3D for many years to come!!!!

On 10/2/2019 at 1:14 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

They said there will be a subscription cost.  I don't want a monthly fee for a flight sim...

@Jack Sawyer

I feel the same way, preferring to buy software, rather than continually pay out to use it (No Adobe on my machine except Acrobat Reader).

However, with FS2020 you can download and cache on your own machine, areas for offline flying. So, my thinking here is to occasionally have a subscription, and busily download for later the areas I want to fly. I won't miss out, and MS won't miss out. So, I think I'll be OK without a continuous sub. Compare this with the $1,000,000 that I've spent purchasing P3D addons already :)

PS. Hope you really enjoy the visit from your sim friends

@lawrence aldrich

I am salivating with the prospect of what ORBX can do with this massively more detailed environment. Simming just keeps getting better, and has now surpassed even my dreams and wishful thinking of the past.

FS 2020 has a detail level of LOD 19 !   Read that again - LOD 19 !

This is a quantum leap over current sims. I remember the poll JV conducted over proposed detail levels for new TE scenery - LOD 14 and 15.

My feeling is that it doesn't matter if you can't run it at max sliders when released. FSX was just the same 10 years ago. It's only because it didn't move forward over 10 years that many have caught up with hardware for good performance.

Personally, I was going to buy a Ryzen 3900 to upgrade my machine, but I'll hold off until next year and wait for the next gen Ryzen chips now, just in case it might be needed, as I accepted that my current P3D performance is still very good, to me (R1700)    https://imgur.com/a/LuU1ruC

I do accept that the specifics of software that ORBX works on will change, but as the scenery industry leader, nobody will do a better job of adapting to, and benefiting from, the next gen of FS software. Look at how JV has so impressively steered ORBX to date, and MS realises that the strength of their FS in the past is directly related to the amount of 3rd party software for it. I am looking forward to this quantum leap in simming graphics, but am  massively enjoying all my current ORBX in P3Dv4 right now.

• Like 1

The MSFS team have said the new sim is GPU limited...!

This is good news as it’s easier and cheaper to upgrade GPUs than CPU’s...

I would definitely hold off on planning any CPU upgrades for now.  The lastest video review in sim was done on a 3.7 CPU and at 41fps with graphics that looked maxed out.

Of course if you add ORBX scenery and AP’s on top of it all I’m sure it could cause lower fps...

10 hours ago, ozboater said:

https://imgur.com/a/LuU1ruC

I do accept that the specifics of software that ORBX works on will change, but as the scenery industry leader, nobody will do a better job of adapting to, and benefiting from, the next gen of FS software. Look at how JV has so impressively steered ORBX to date, and MS realises that the strength of their FS in the past is directly related to the amount of 3rd party software for it. I am looking forward to this quantum leap in simming graphics, but am  massively enjoying all my current ORBX in P3Dv4 right now.

exactly...…   FS2020 is being guessed to shreds everywhere.

The operative word being "guessed".

My rig runs P3Dv4 with a plie of ORBX software in a way I consider "as good as it gets" right now today.

I'll buy the next generations as they are born and finish kindergarten.   :DeadHorse:

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 5:35 PM, Tony Wroblewski said:

It's currently in beta testing with more information soon

Excellent! Looking forward to TrueEarth CA north & south.

10 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

This is good news as it’s easier and cheaper to upgrade GPUs than CPU’s...

Not sure where you're buying your GPUs, but it's quite the opposite in my experience.

Edited by patful

Judging that the demo is running acceptably in 4k, most people are still happily running in 1080p on current hardware, and I wouldn't be surprised if the final release runs pretty well on current ( non RTX ) hardware in 1080p. Also, having been in game dev for 20 years, a product a year from release has had very little optimization. 

It was already stated that MS will have FS2020 as part of GamePass to open it to a new audience - so that's the "subscription" part, but I doubt FS by itself would require it. They clearly are considering additional options, like a full-price product. The eventual XBox port would require Gold subscription for some aspects - like MP for sure.

I am curious about their business model - PC gaming is niche, and flight simming is ultra niche. Even if they crush P3D, XPlane and Aerofly - which they should, if they deliver what is promised - it's still not a big market. They claim to be in it for the long game - which is cool for us, but I wonder about the $$$ to motivate MS. Stuff like GamePass and XBox Gold and subsidize a bit of the dev and support. Maybe they plan to funnel all addons through a MS storefront or in-game purchase and take a percentage? Valve has done well letting people sell funny hats for TF2 ;)    IDK - should be an interesting year.

I've been really glad ORBX global / vector / regions have been here to fill the gap over the years - but IMO I'd rather see them focused on airports and providing the ground-level detail that the procedural tech Asobo is using won't be able to do. I'm also really looking forward to not having to run 5-6 programs at the same time to get what I expect out of a flight sim experience. There's a lot of addons that shouldn't need to exist.  More VR immersion, more shared experiences, more good planes, more good airports! ;) 

also - photogrammetry is not photo scenery - they have nothing to do with each other.... 

• Like 1

ORBX took FSX, P3D and XP and made them High Definition by comparison to the stock product. I fully expect them to take what will already be an HD product out of the box, and render specific locations in Ultra High Definition. I can foresee the TE, Landclass and "Region" scenery falling by the wayside, but look forward to amazing Cityscapes and Airports, which will do me just fine.

Doesn't take away from all the enjoyment I've already had down the years from the legacy product line. Must confess my wallet is beginning to feel the pinch though! :blink:

FS2020 looks astounding. But the photogrammetry will not place logos on every building, will not "do perfect AFCADs" or gate handling etc, I expect ORBX to fill this gap. Similarly, flight model looks to be astounding for the stock aircraft, but PMDG et al will still, I imagine, be kings of the hill for addon aircraft.

Interesting and exciting times!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stehas78 said:

Let's see what the physics/flight model is like first.

I'm not worried about it now.
If you watch the recent videos, listen to or read what improvements have been made to the flight model, then I don't think you will be concerned either.
https://youtu.be/HrJs0jK4a1g?t=384  (Watch 6:24 - 10:25)

• Upvote 2

Talking of the yet to come MSFS2020, I'm assuming that we still won't be able to fly directly over the poles because of the way that the software has been written? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

3 hours ago, orbmoke said:

Talking of the yet to come MSFS2020, I'm assuming that we still won't be able to fly directly over the poles because of the way that the software has been written? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I dont know, but it looks like the coordinate system is completely new, listen here (start at 13:55):

Ah, interesting - thanks for that Nedo. It would be a huge plus for many simmers I think if that geographical restriction was lifted with this new sim, because, correct me if I'm wrong here, I do believe that no sim in the past has allowed over the poles flying?

Edited by orbmoke
missing word

On 10/3/2019 at 8:53 PM, Eructation said:

Flying out of Fairoaks airport to the Isle of Wight with Orbx TE UK and Orbx Fairoaks is as real as is possible.

I've flown the route in the real world often and ORBX is SPOT ON. I'll be surprised if  FS2020 can beat such detailed accuracy.

I think you'll find that the MSFS2020 scenery WILL be superior. I mean just comparing the roads for a start between the two sims, the roads in MSFS2020 look far more realistic in my opinion.

Hello,

let's not start comparing simulators again, especially when one of them has yet to be released.

If you want to do this, there are numerous topics in the dedicated forum at Avsim.

This topic has covered most of the current facts, so perhaps it's time to close it.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1