I lived in the UK for three years in the 1980's and loved it.  I also fell in love with their language and colloquialisms.  So I'm curious about the word "kit", as in "that GTN 750 is a nice piece of kit."  It's a charming way of describing something like this but it's never used in America.  I'm wondering how it came about and is it still widely used?

No sarcasm here in my question, I genuinely would like to know as it's fascinating to me.

Thanks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I lived in the UK for three years in the 1980's and loved it.  I also fell in love with their language and colloquialisms.  So I'm curious about the word "kit", as in "that GTN 750 is a nice piece of kit."  It's a charming way of describing something like this but it's never used in America.  I'm wondering how it came about and is it still widely used?

No sarcasm here in my question, I genuinely would like to know as it's fascinating to me.

Thanks.

Actually Jack, it IS used in the U.S., in military circles....at least, in the Infantry we used it all the time when referring to our gear. Example, as a Platoon Sergeant I would say to my men "tomorrow at 0600, be standing tall, right here in formation, weapons drawn from the arms room with the rest of your kit, ready to roll". 

• Thanks 1

Can mean clothing, equipment or almost anything useable by anyone, so basically anything from ornamentation, watch, ring etc right up to the largest piece of equipment in the world..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

Actually Jack, it IS used in the U.S., in military circles....at least, in the Infantry we used it all the time when referring to our gear. Example, as a Platoon Sergeant I would say to my men "tomorrow at 0600, be standing tall, right here in formation, weapons drawn from the arms room with the rest of your kit, ready to roll". 

Thanks Landon!  I never heard it in the Air Force.

6 minutes ago, teecee said:

Can mean clothing, equipment or almost anything useable by anyone, so basically anything from ornamentation, watch, ring etc right up to the largest piece of equipment in the world..

Thanks Terry!  This is very cool, I like it!

7 minutes ago, Richard McDonald Woods said:

Generically 'equipment', but then use is always somewhat vague.

HTH;)

Thanks Richard!  Kind of like a catch-all term.  Much appreciated.

Likes been said it can mean many things like your kitbag which held all your kit from a tooth brush to your shirts and anything else that you owned . Or she’s got a nice bit of kit on her. Or dipstick, I was called that many a time. :lol: Ah happy days. I was in the RAF. Derek.

Edited by Dadtom65
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I never heard it in the Air Force.

Different era, but I grew up playing with the remnants of a mess kit from my USAF dad. He used it years before I was born.

Edited by patful
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

It might not be wise to use it near any advocates of "me too".

You remind me of an Electro Rock song...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dadtom65 said:

Likes been said it can mean many things like your kitbag which held all your kit from a tooth brush to your shirts and anything else that you owned . Or she’s got a nice bit of kit on her. Or dipstick, I was called that many a time. :lol: Ah happy days. I was in the RAF. Derek.

Thanks Derek, it's a cool little bit of "word kit" but I ain't gonna touch the other part :wacko:

49 minutes ago, patful said:

Different era, but I grew up playing with the remnants of a mess kit from my USAF dad. He used it years before I was born.

Thanks Pat.  I've heard the term mess kit.  But the other uses are what fascinates me, for example, "drum kit".

12 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

too deep for me, can you explain?

This is not deep, there is just a rocknroll song  where the expression is used in a way that would be not possible today, I suppose. The feminists would go bersek. Your post reminded me of it.  Black Velveteen. 

Whilst mostly it refers to something cool, like a shiny new gadget or computer, it can also refer to (from places I've lived in) to the opposite sex... so sometimes context is very important :-)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tony Wroblewski said:

Whilst mostly it refers to something cool, like a shiny new gadget or computer, it can also refer to (from places I've lived in) to the opposite sex... so sometimes context is very important :-)

Thanks Tony, I think it’s cool and will now try to incorporate it into my verbal lexicon.  :)

Hi Guys,

I just installed a Samsung 2 Tb SSD.

A really " nice  piece of kit "

Bill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TuFun said:

I use the term grab the Emergency kit or tool kit in the USAF in the 70's/80's and on aircraft with ejections seats they were called survival kits.

Survival Kits

Yup, I remember that too.  I like the way it's used by the British though, very different than USA. :)

4 hours ago, andy1252 said:

And don't forget things like Airfix (or Revelle over there) Construction Kits, or sometimes Model Kits

Yep, and kit planes and kit cars too.

1 hour ago, CLA1836 said:

Hi Guys,

I just installed a Samsung 2 Tb SSD.

A really " nice  piece of kit "

Bill.

:lol:  This is what I'm talking about, in this context, I think it's really cool.

My, now deceased, English born, WWII bomber pilot, war hero, RAF, RCAF pilot, senior officer in the RCAF..used "kit" all the time as we grew up, I haven't used it in a "ton" of time.

For him it was all about basic necessities of getting by, IE toothbrush, razor, a few cloths...."have you got your kit ready Bryan"? "is your kit packed".

Cheers

Bryan

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, fltsimguy said:

My, now deceased, English born, WWII bomber pilot, war hero, RAF, RCAF pilot, senior officer in the RCAF..used "kit" all the time as we grew up, I haven't used it in a "ton" of time.

For him it was all about basic necessities of getting by, IE toothbrush, razor, a few cloths...."have you got your kit ready Bryan"? "is your kit packed".

Cheers

Bryan

Very cool story, he must have had many amazing tales to tell.

4 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Very cool story, he must have had many amazing tales to tell.

While somewhat off topic, let me tell you...I have his complete WWII flight logs, everything is captured there from 1942-1960 (his last flight), his first recorded flight in a Tiger Moth training as part of BCTP British Commonwealth Training Plan to every sortie in WWII - B-24s, B-26, B-17, Oxfords, Harvards, North Star, Expeditor, C-47 Dakota and Norseman...incredible history; even a story of flying back across the English Channel with one of four engines left...almost bought it.

He wrote a memoir and did several hours of audio recordings of his history along with keeping a daily dairy...unbelievable history and reading.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, fltsimguy said:

While somewhat off topic, let me tell you...I have his complete WWII flight logs, everything is captured there from 1942-1960 (his last flight), his first recorded flight in a Tiger Moth training as part of BCTP British Commonwealth Training Plan to every sortie in WWII - B-24s, B-26, B-17, Oxfords, Harvards, North Star, Expeditor, C-47 Dakota and Norseman...incredible history; even a story of flying back across the English Channel with one of four engines left...almost bought it.

He wrote a memoir and did several hours of audio recordings of his history along with keeping a daily dairy...unbelievable history and reading.

Awesome!  I’m a writer and would be all over this.  You should consider writing his story and publishing it as long as his estate allows it.

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Awesome!  I’m a writer and would be all over this.  You should consider writing his story and publishing it as long as his estate allows it.

So much to do and so little time...I'm working on my own memoir, whether my kids like it or not, I will pass on a story riddled account of my growing up. I will hopefully get more done this winter when the weather turns south, ie rain/snow whatever.

I am piecing together more than his memoir speaks about which is great in itself but missing so much.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fltsimguy said:

So much to do and so little time...I'm working on my own memoir, whether my kids like it or not, I will pass on a story riddled account of my growing up. I will hopefully get more done this winter when the weather turns south, ie rain/snow whatever.

I am piecing together more than his memoir speaks about which is great in itself but missing so much.

Absolutely awesome, I wish you the very best!

• Like 1

One more for the pot, so to speak;  used to breed rabbits years ago and a young 'un was called a kit (presumably shortened from kitten).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KevinJH said:

One more for the pot, so to speak;  used to breed rabbits years ago and a young 'un was called a kit (presumably shortened from kitten).

Yeah, I forgot about that one!  Thanks. :)