HighlandPiperCub

When are we gonna see any Orbx products covering Asia?

I lived in Okinawa for a few years, and it has a mix of ancient and modern: farms city and jungle, military bases, old castles, a happening night life, a giant Ferris wheel, and a world class aquarium. And there are some pretty amazing places like Bali (dense city, chaotic traffic, temples and lush farmland on steps, and some stunning resorts). Then there are the amazing skylines of places like Hong Kong and Singapore. When is Orbx gonna venture into Asia?

Speaking of Asia, I am not gonna ask for much. Just give me the whole of Japan and Singapore (the way FTX UK regions such as England, Wales, Scotland etc have been done) and I'll be a very happy ORBX simmer :D

We already have two excellent Papua New Guinea sceneries and they said they would release OpenLC Asia, after much delay, before the end of the year (I mean 2019 -_- ).  Besides that Global+Vector+a good mesh do a decent job in some places.

Nothing else has been announced.  OrbX CEO has explained a couple of times why he was not interested in developing Asia sceneries (no customer base, piracy) so I think we shouldn't expect much. 

This is one the reason I look forward to FS20, to get at last some good ground imagery and overlay below my aircraft in ASia where I fly a lot.

PS the life of a simmer has two great mysteries : why OrbX does nothing for Asia is one. The other one is why they don't do anything for the Caribbean !

Edited by dominique

5 minutes ago, dominique said:

OrbX CEO has explained a couple of times why he was not interested in developing Asia sceneries (no customer base, piracy) so I think we shouldn't expect much.

Can you post a link to that, please?

20 minutes ago, Dust2Dust said:

Can you post a link to that, please?

I don't archive John V's posts  :) ! But I've been on this forum for a long time and I've a good memory.

Don't make me wrong, the man is in charge of his own business I do not contest that but as a customer I sure regret a lack of interest :

Did a rapid search : the first thread contains several intervention of John V. 

Edited by dominique
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dominique said:

OrbX CEO has explained a couple of times why he was not interested in developing Asia sceneries (no customer base, piracy) so I think we shouldn't expect much.

In your links, he in fact explains a decision to make OLC South America before OLC Asia.

There is no expression of disinterest.

I have also been on these forums for a while and while I do remember numerous topics identical to this one I do not remember any expression of disinterest.

Of course, your memory may well be better than mine.

• Like 1

The big, big problem with doing the Far East is, of course, imigery.  That's available for Malaya and Singapore but I suspect it would be practically impossible to get it for the two most interesting places i.e. Russia and China. 

I'm not sure if it was finally created for Thailand.

Just now, Nick Cooper said:

Let's not have a word fight ("une querelle de mots" in French) because  I respect OrbX decison even if it does not please me. At the end of the day,  I am not in charge of your books.

John V has said that the market was small ("The sales revenue from Japan is only 3.3% of what we earn just from North America alone. In other words, an FTX Japan would make less than one NA airport." for instance) and that piracy was  a problem. ("Generally in that part of the world they steal software, not buy it") . 

OpenLC Asia has been delayed for how many years ? Five or six years ?  No other sceneries except PNG have been released.  And Sth America and Africa (a huge market for flight simulation) took precedence.

I call that "lack of interest" in lack of a better  word that I am ready to learn ;).

Edited by dominique

Just now, JohnY said:

The big, big problem with doing the Far East is, of course, imigery.  That's available for Malaya and Singapore but I suspect it would be practically impossible to get it for the two most interesting places i.e. Russia and China. 

I'm not sure if it was finally created for Thailand.

Imagery is very good for Asia, John. Two examples  zoom  into the oases of the Taklamakan desert in NW China  (a strategic zone if any) or in the Heavens forgotten villages North of Palu in Sulawesi (the Celebes) !

Please do not confuse what you can see in Google or Bing Maps with what is commercially licensable. The two often do not meet, which is what dictates where and when we can do projects (Ireland not being available yet to license, for example).

We are releasing openLC Asia before year's end. I can see texture artists working on many unique landclass textures here in the UK development centre as I walk past their desks. It will sure be a very diverse and interesting OLC region.

Let's see how that product sells for us before we hasten down the path of further Asia products.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 4

An important distinction to keep in mind. 

The word imagery maybe is too restrictive. We certainly would welcome a LC fat region too :)  ! Japan for instance. There is already a good freeware LC map but dated. Its creator, M Haruo, is AWOL so nobody knows how he made it and it won’t be upgraded.

But I was looking at that page at Jaxa

https://www.eorc.jaxa.jp/ALOS/en/lulc/lulc_index.htm 

and wondering  what gem OrbX could make out of it  !

I'd literally make a statue of JV and worship it for the rest of my life if a full fat region for the entire Japan is made. Nuff said :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dust2Dust said:

I'd literally make a statue of JV and worship it for the rest of my life if a full fat region for the entire Japan is made. Nuff said :D

Add Korea to that and I'm right there with you!

OLC Asia will make the continent a d*mn sight better than what we currently have.
Though you can put me down for a TE version of Japan, if it's possible to licence the imagery.

• Like 1