useful tip LOWI artifacts...lines in sky and grey swaths - Solution included

51 minutes ago, Jock7 said:

I have the lines too and I thought they were lifts but could not see the buildings for them.

At first I thought they were power lines across the mountains...but that soon faded.  

Edited by Orbx Flyer

G'day Orbx flyer, I'm very sorry you're having problems with your new scenery. 

Regarding the second two pics - these look to be a similar issue that I had a few months back across my entire XP world - my cause ended up being a particular weather/env mod playing around with the horizon/visibility render settings (I'm sorry, I don't remember which one - I cycle through different mods fairly quickly at the moment) Do you use any weather or environment addons? If yes, I'd suggest temporarily disabling them, shut down the sim, and start a new flight with CAVOK weather conditions. 

Cheers,

nb. I see the previous poster has just suggested the same thing.

5 minutes ago, Jarrad Marshall said:

G'day Orbx flyer, I'm very sorry you're having problems with your new scenery. 

Regarding the second two pics - these look to be a similar issue that I had a few months back across my entire XP world - my cause ended up being a particular weather/env mod playing around with the horizon/visibility render settings (I'm sorry, I don't remember which one - I cycle through different mods fairly quickly at the moment) Do you use any weather or environment addons? If yes, I'd suggest temporarily disabling them, shut down the sim, and start a new flight with CAVOK weather conditions. 

Cheers,

nb. I see the previous poster has just suggested the same thing.

Thank you...will look into this, Jarrad.

7 minutes ago, MM100 said:

Turn off or adjust 3jFPS and lines should disappear (but FPS will decline).  Also, weather plugins may adjust distance.

Thank you for your help. Will look into this.  Interesting, that all of my TE products have no such artifacts, even with 3jFPS in play.

I removed all my .lua scripts, and only when CAVOK is displayed...no lines in the sky.  Any other variant of weather, and the lines appear in this scenery. No other Orbx XP11 scenery displays this...

I believe that it is a defect in LOWI scenery if weather other than CAVOK is displayed., and hopefully a fix will be found.

3jFPS is not causing the 'power lines' in the sky...

I did see the line in the sky when I first booted up LOWI but then I adjusted  the LOD in VR twick to a greater distance and the line disappeared and hasn't shown up in the last 2 flights. Will update this if it appears again...

It is actually more than just a line.

If you approach the line with a chopper, you will notice that it is actually a set of power lines: with 3 lines on each side.

Not sure that helps, but this is what I found out with the 429

Cheers

• Like 1
11 hours ago, ve2dgz said:

It is actually more than just a line.

If you approach the line with a chopper, you will notice that it is actually a set of power lines: with 3 lines on each side.

Not sure that helps, but this is what I found out with the 429

Cheers

Right...they do look like power lines...from mountain to mountain, and from one part of the sky to the other...but are artifacts. Shouldn't be there...

Hey Guys,

These are indeed power line artifacts. I made the texture red, to see if they belong to them. These images were made with a clean X-Plane installation only LOWI Scenery installed and no other addons. The only thing I had running, Skymaxx with asxp and rwc...

mdxNe9k.jpg

Asq8OS2.jpg

Cheers

18 hours ago, BobT said:

I did see the line in the sky when I first booted up LOWI but then I adjusted  the LOD in VR twick to a greater distance and the line disappeared and hasn't shown up in the last 2 flights. Will update this if it appears again...

Yes one reappeared so I guess it's not related to an LOD issue

21 hours ago, Orbx Flyer said:

I removed all my .lua scripts, and only when CAVOK is displayed...no lines in the sky.  Any other variant of weather, and the lines appear in this scenery. No other Orbx XP11 scenery displays this...

I believe that it is a defect in LOWI scenery if weather other than CAVOK is displayed., and hopefully a fix will be found.

3jFPS is not causing the 'power lines' in the sky...

G'day again,

Could you please run a test for me, replicating the location/time of day in the shot below;  

1. Unload your weather engine/lua scripts (as I and others mentioned, this has been a symptom of some weather engine addons), load up a flight with CAVOK.

2. Without re-booting the flight (ie, by simply changing the weather settings), gradually decrease the visibility until you have a similar level to your shot below. 

3. Take a 3-4 shots as you gradually reduce the visibility and post here. 

23 hours ago, Orbx Flyer said:

Cessna-172-SP-G1000-2019-08-07-13-03-03.

We have got a couple of reports of the three powerlines over one of the valleys, our apologies, this is only visible to some users, and we are looking at solution. It's a little bit tricky as both Vittorio and myself can't replicate the exact issue at our end, though we are working through it. But it is important to mention that this is a separate issue to the main issue above, which is not caused by the scenery itself. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

2 hours ago, Jarrad Marshall said:

G'day again,

Could you please run a test for me, replicating the location/time of day in the shot below;  

1. Unload your weather engine/lua scripts (as I and others mentioned, this has been a symptom of some weather engine addons), load up a flight with CAVOK.

2. Without re-booting the flight (ie, by simply changing the weather settings), gradually decrease the visibility until you have a similar level to your shot below. 

3. Take a 3-4 shots as you gradually reduce the visibility and post here. 

We have got a couple of reports of the three powerlines over one of the valleys, our apologies, this is only visible to some users, and we are looking at solution. It's a little bit tricky as both Vittorio and myself can't replicate the exact issue at our end, though we are working through it. But it is important to mention that this is a separate issue to the main issue above, which is not caused by the scenery itself. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Ok, I will do that...and post...as you ask.

Jarrad....with CAVOK in play...no artifacts...BUT...with ANY other kind of weather...visibility, clouds...

Not only lines...but wide brown swaths of banding.   I tried CAVOK and weather in other ORBX titles...and no such artifacts...no banding...

...this is an issue with LOWI.   You can't run LOWI with any weather...unless you will accept the visual defects.  On my system anyway.  Right now...the product is unusable for me...I don't run only in visual CAVOK.

Hope you get to the bottom of this...as obvisously, this is happening to other LOWI users as well, and is not endemic to my system alone.

Cirrus-SF50-2019-08-08-15-30-50.png

Cirrus-SF50-2019-08-08-16-08-31.png

Cirrus-SF50-2019-08-08-16-10-32.png

Cirrus-SF50-2019-08-08-16-10-56.png

14 minutes ago, CF104 said:

Looks like you're still running 3jFPS. Have you tried unloading all of your lua scripts and run the test as Jarrad asked?

Cheers,

John

Yes...there was no difference. All .lua's off and 3jFPS out of the picture.  That's why I have it now enabled...as it proved to be no difference, in the mix, or not.  This is the onlly XP11 scenery from Orbx that is affected with these artifacts.  All my airports, GB TE and Wash TE shows not...

Edited by Orbx Flyer

OK I've just spent a few hours in the LOWI scenery seeing if I could pinpoint the points where the powerlines come from or two, and apart from one point, there's no physical tower that is associated with these lines.  The lines do not appear when the LOWI_Overlay layer is disabled.

I did discover however that the brown or grey swathes through the scenery in less than CAVOK conditions appears to have nothing to do with the ORBX scenery, because the same swathes appear when the ORBX scenery is disabled, and even when the LOWI demo area is disabled.  So that one might have to go back to Laminar for a fix.

The following screenshots should be self explanatory, the grey swathe shots are at various stages of disabling part or all of the Orbx scenery, while the powerlines shots attempt to pinpoint exactly where in the landscape the lines emanate from.  Unfortunately they are a bit bigegr than I like, to retain the GPS coord data visibility.

Any questions are welcome. 

LOWI1.thumb.jpg.80fb173c61dc7343eabbc977160ee68d.jpg

LOWI2.thumb.jpg.bc10df474ad8377be6f18565f725f445.jpg

LOWI3.thumb.jpg.4d24186f4f3073cc29e4f7d4ad246b69.jpg

LOWI4.thumb.jpg.e56d09e615cd878adbdcdfea230d45ac.jpg

LOWI5.thumb.jpg.6e2e286424212c1501cbc0094aa44eb0.jpg

LOWI6.thumb.jpg.e548db410353deaea50956f2136bb8d4.jpg

LOWI6b.thumb.jpg.bcdd08f051c5ea380fe3fbdcf4f1a282.jpg

LOWI7.thumb.jpg.98648435cb116da3858b88ec3da15a24.jpg

LOWI8.thumb.jpg.b465f08cbe7f085a1302b818d80817fd.jpg

LOWI9.thumb.jpg.dcb240e9bea7a30fd26dcfbd8cf9a02e.jpg

LOWI10.thumb.jpg.5b0b6284b118e2a4d74e50a9c382f55d.jpg

LOWI11.thumb.jpg.46964778a5dad1ab8921a9349fbe07b6.jpg

LOWI12.thumb.jpg.e27a48407669e1e68049a35997ca12eb.jpg

LOWI13.thumb.jpg.43234f67886b6cfbcdbdbed40927ad9a.jpg

LOWI14.thumb.jpg.ec1b697006feec28ad4c6407846eb0a7.jpg

LOWI15.thumb.jpg.6d626ef539445c833c3559e56ed0b57e.jpg

LOWI16.thumb.jpg.4bdf9465b765bb8d9adb1953ce52295a.jpg

Regarding the grey swaths, I have seen these artefacts before, and tested to show that they also appear with default XP11.  There were some visible around Darrington scenery in Washington, but as I say they still appeared with all ORBX scenery disabled.  I found that disabling Ultra Weather XP or 3JFPS would remove the artefacts.

13 hours ago, Orbx Flyer said:

Jarrad....with CAVOK in play...no artifacts...BUT...with ANY other kind of weather...visibility, clouds...

Thanks for those, very helpful. What weather engine are you using to generate those clouds? 

As I mentioned in my previous post, are you able to run the test specifically as I mentioned it with a few screenshots? 

Just to clarify again, we have two issues here that shouldn't be conflated; the first (and bigger) one is not caused by LOWI, and the second one we are looking into. 

1. Problems with large banding on the horizon in non-CAVOK conditions

2. Rogue powerlines crossing the valley on your setup and others. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Brown horizons have been with XP for a long time and can usually be sorted via the  Visibility slider in the Weather/Customize menu. For those that have UWXP, that programme also has a Horizon view option and needs to be worked in tandem with the Visibility option in XP.

Regarding the rogue power lines. If someone can give a few coordinates for where to find these powerlines I will see if I can also assist. I have old eyes but I do not see brown horizons nor power lines. I also don't use a weather addon.

Finally, I have to assume that the LOWI entries in the scenery_packs.ini are correctly placed. With due respect to Orbx, the way my copy of LOWI was layered was incorrect and i have adjusted the .ini accordingly. It should be (by file alpha designation): 

A LOWI Innsbruck

A LOWI_ LOJT

Global Airports

B LOWI Overlay

C LOWI DrapedOrthos

D LOWI_Orthos

I also suggest that the LOWI Demo be removed. Also check on the .ini placement of X-Europe for those that may have it installed.

Some of the above may well be irrelevant in the end but I'm just trying to cover all the potential bases.

Hi guys, 

Our ordering (despite naming) is correct via Orbx Central - there should be no need to change this unless you are having visual discrepancies. There is also no need to remove the default LOWI demo - our scenery will work exactly as designed with that still installed. In short - no need to tweak anything unless you are seeing something broken :)

Cheers,

Jarrad

22 minutes ago, Jarrad Marshall said:

Hi guys, 

Our ordering (despite naming) is correct via Orbx Central - there should be no need to change this unless you are having visual discrepancies. There is also no need to remove the default LOWI demo - our scenery will work exactly as designed with that still installed. In short - no need to tweak anything unless you are seeing something broken :)

Cheers,

Jarrad

Hi Jarrad. Don't want to digress from the main topic, but what is in Draped Orthos that is different from an Otho file? Also since v35 of XP to see the LOWI demo it needed to be above Global Airports where as before it was below so it could in that situation have clashed with Orbx LOWI.

Regarding Orbx layering via Central it places Needles below Global airports so the heli landing is not hard and Needles has a icao ID of EGHL and should be above Global airports. It also places ZZZ Orbx Meigs nowhere near the bottom of the ini defeating the object of having alpha prefixes.

You also say in your response, that no changes are required "unless you are having visual discrepancies". I thought it was visual discrepancies that was the topic of this thread.

Please respond in a Pm if you want so as not to hijack and stray from the main subject.

Best regards and absolutely love the Orbx LOWI, especially as i have no brown horizons, grey stripes or rogue power lines that I can see.:)

2 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

Regarding the rogue power lines. If someone can give a few coordinates for where to find these powerlines I will see if I can also assist. I have old eyes but I do not see brown horizons nor power lines.

See my screenshots above, lots of coords there

Hi guys, let's not clog up this thread too much, Orbx Flyer started the conversation seeking help; let's give him a chance to check out the issues at his end further before we continue too much further

Cheers,

Jarrad

On 8/8/2019 at 10:21 PM, Orbx Flyer said:

Not only lines...but wide brown swaths of banding.   I tried CAVOK and weather in other ORBX titles...and no such artifacts...no banding...

...this is an issue with LOWI.   You can't run LOWI with any weather...unless you will accept the visual defects.  On my system anyway.  Right now...the product is unusable for me...I don't run only in visual CAVOK.

Hope you get to the bottom of this...as obvisously, this is happening to other LOWI users as well, and is not endemic to my system alone.

Cirrus-SF50-2019-08-08-15-30-50.png

Cirrus-SF50-2019-08-08-16-08-31.png

Cirrus-SF50-2019-08-08-16-10-32.png

Cirrus-SF50-2019-08-08-16-10-56.png

Same over here. Powerlines with pbr effect.

Edited by Matthias1988
23 hours ago, Jarrad Marshall said:

Thanks for those, very helpful. What weather engine are you using to generate those clouds? 

As I mentioned in my previous post, are you able to run the test specifically as I mentioned it with a few screenshots? 

Just to clarify again, we have two issues here that shouldn't be conflated; the first (and bigger) one is not caused by LOWI, and the second one we are looking into. 

1. Problems with large banding on the horizon in non-CAVOK conditions

2. Rogue powerlines crossing the valley on your setup and others. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

Jarrad, I am running UWXP (latest), but it was not in play at any time. It is installed, though. Those clouds were XP default, tweaked by xVision 1.26.  Interesting, that I have had the same setup running all of the XP Orbx to date, and no artifacts on the horizon, or errant power line happenings, in GB-TE or WASH-TE, and any of their airports. All, clean, and looking good. I only started getting this with running at the LOWI location, the brown swaths, and the power lines, hundreds of feet into the air, intersecting the valley and mountains. Only at the LOWI location.  BTW, LOVE what you have done with LOWI for XPLANE...but hope that your team, or some other clever participant can figure out a way to kiss goodbye to the brown swaths and power lines at LOWI.  As one other said...it might be a blooper by Laminar, at the x-y coordinates of LOWI, and you and your team, might need to have discussion with them.

Keep the properties coming...and cheers!  I know there will be some fix or workaround, soon!

O.F.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Sheldon1980 said:

set("sim/private/controls/planet/hires_steps", 0.0)

set("sim/private/controls/clouds/check_z_hdr", 0.00)

Those two entries will resolve all your problems!

Nice, thank you very much, "Sheldon 1980" . Those two lines you posted seemed to have done the trick, no more brown bands or lines in overcast weather.

Much appreciated.

@Sheldon1980 Many thanks for your assistance in apparently resolving this issue with Orbx LOWI.

Would you be good enough to expand the fix method so that others and our Devs can look into resolving the issue formally.

For example, do you need the freeware latest version of Vivid Sky, and if so where do you enter the lines etc.

set("sim/private/controls/planet/hires_steps", 0.0)

set("sim/private/controls/clouds/check_z_hdr", 0.00)

Greatly appreciate any assistance you can give

Hi Jon, It's a problem that I noticed long ago, the problem is not regarding ORBX Lowi, that I can assure. It seems that certain places on the globe have this issue and I for one cannot explain why. I started researching the problem with few results and then I started experimenting and with the help of others on the X-Plane.org forum I was able to finally resolve the problem. The fix can be applied by creating a script file. I have provided the file, copy into resources/plugins/FlyWithLua/Scripts.

I'm not sure about compatibility, but it should work with VividSky as I make use of some of their textures but not the scripts, perhaps someone can confirm if it works with VS. Can confirm it works with X-Visibility though.

Hope this helps!

Outward Adjustment Scrips ESS.lua

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Sheldon1980 said:

Hi Jon, It's a problem that I noticed long ago, the problem is not regarding ORBX Lowi, that I can assure. It seems that certain places on the globe have this issue and I for one cannot explain why. I started researching the problem with few results and then I started experimenting and with the help of others on the X-Plane.org forum I was able to finally resolve the problem. The fix can be applied by creating a script file. I have provided the file, copy into resources/plugins/FlyWithLua/Scripts.

I'm not sure about compatibility, but it should work with VividSky as I make use of some of their textures but not the scripts, perhaps someone can confirm if it works with VS. Can confirm it works with X-Visibility though.

Hope this helps!

Outward Adjustment Scrips ESS.lua 105 B · 0 downloads

I want to thank you sincerely on behalf of all of us here in assisting in resolving this anomaly, and most of all for confirming it is/was not an Orbx LOWI induced problem. It has been baffling the devs as they cannot reproduce the effect. I would like to pin the resolution and Script you offer to the XP forum for everyone's use if that is OK with you.

@Jarrad Marshall @Tony Wroblewski FYI and to advise the issue is XP related not Orbx LOWI related.

@Nick Cooper Nick would you be able to pin this so that all concerned can access the resolution and the accompanying Script, should you concur?

Hi Jon, no problem. Glad it has helped other uses as I thought I was one of a very few experiencing this issue. On another note :unsure: When the devs have some time, could they look into this ORBX Lowi floating building (bottom left of the attached pic) just before the runway.

226660175_X-PlaneScreenshot2019_09.01-20_57_36_42.png.aa42813a50d930789cad75590b09ba7e.thumb.png.69f9c570013c0d82e0be550b8caf4072.png

• Nick Cooper changed the title to LOWI artifacts...lines in sky and grey swaths - Solution included
On 9/6/2019 at 1:30 PM, Sheldon1980 said:

Hope this helps!

Outward Adjustment Scrips ESS.lua 105 B · 9 downloads

Still the same powerlines. Looks awful