Plenty of pride on Derby Day

Just departed from East Midlands and now flying over Derby.

fjxuDQ9.jpg

Pride Park stadium can clearly be seen, which has been the home of Derby County Football Club since they left the Baseball Ground in 1997.

• Like 4
39 minutes ago, lifejogger said:

Nice shot but I am confused.....  A Baseball Ground in England????  Or is that another term for Crickett??

Ok, it was originally a sports ground for the Ley's Malleable Castings Vulcan Ironworks.  Sir Francis Ley visited the States and became interested in Baseball. When he returned the sports ground was set up for Baseball. Even when the football ground was built in 1894 it was still called The Baseball Ground!

Just to confuse you even more Derby County before this played at the Racecourse Ground which is now home to Derbyshire Cricket Club!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, VH-KDK said:

Ok, it was originally a sports ground for the Ley's Malleable Castings Vulcan Ironworks.  Sir Francis Ley visited the States and became interested in Baseball. When he returned the sports ground was set up for Baseball. Even when the football ground was built in 1894 it was still called The Baseball Ground!

Just to confuse you even more Derby County before this played at the Racecourse Ground which is now home to Derbyshire Cricket Club!

I guess that explains that.  Here in the U.S. we use to have a baseball field called the Polo Grounds.

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, lifejogger said:

I guess that explains that.  Here in the U.S. we use to have a baseball field called the Polo Grounds.

Thanks John, interesting where these names come from.

• Upvote 1
47 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Fantastic shot, Martyn. And another nice narration about English sports history!

Thanks you Gerold, glad you liked.

• Like 1

Pride Park Stadium - Derby County...I am a Nottingham Forest fan and we have a long footballing  rivalry with our neighbours Derby County... but still I admire Derby’s Pride Park stadium...for having Brian Clough’s statue outside (best football manager ever!, some of his quotes are epic) :D

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11689/9642762/brian-clough-fifteen-of-the-legendary-managers-most-memorable-one-liners

By the way cracking shots there Martyn... 

Edited by Capt Pugwash
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Capt Pugwash said:

Pride Park Stadium - Derby County...I am a Nottingham Forest fan and we have a long footballing  rivalry with our neighbours Derby County... but still I admire Derby’s Pride Park stadium...for having Brian Clough’s statue outside (best football manager ever!, some of his quotes are epic) :D

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11689/9642762/brian-clough-fifteen-of-the-legendary-managers-most-memorable-one-liners

By the way cracking shots there Martyn... 

Many thanks and some great quotes from Old Big Head!

Didn't he work wonders at both Derby and Forrest, great days indeed.

I still remember his famous description of Polish keeper Tomaszewski before the WC qualifying match against England. 

Not forgetting Peter Taylor either.

• Like 1

Why do they call it football when it's rugby. ???  Not the football i'm used to seeing in the US  :D 

The steelers have a 6'9" rugby player from England trying to make the Pittsburgh Steelers team. :D

Christian Scotland-Williamson
Born: July 5, 1993 (age 26 years),   London Borough of Waltham Forest, UK                      
6′ 9″
 273 lbs
Pittsburgh Steelers (#49 / Tight end)
College - Loughborough University
Played for the Worcester Warriors

sEH4K0l.jpg

MQc2aLn.jpg

Alejandro Villanueva 6'9'  320 lbs
2E2By25.jpg

Dan McCullers 6'7" 352 lbs
jNHkx5R.jpg

Just to name a few that size. :D

• Like 2

Football and rugby - football came first then some Rugby School boy had the audacity to pick the ball up and run - foul they cried but it stuck and we had rugby.  We Americans call the #5 round ball game soccer as does much of the world but in the UK it's football and they're pretty good at it.  The English Premier League is considered one of the toughest in the world.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Football and rugby - football came first then some Rugby School boy had the audacity to pick the ball up and run - foul they cried but it stuck and we had rugby.  We Americans call the #5 round ball game soccer as does much of the world but in the UK it's football and they're pretty good at it.  The English Premier League is considered one of the toughest in the world.

Interesting OND.

I didn't know pittsburgh had Rugby teams, learn something everyday. :D

28FRyVm.jpg

ZR1KASp.jpg

c536Pez.jpg

• Like 2
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 12:29 PM, macca22au said:

What would you expect of the POMs, but a really nice shot.

Thanks Ian.

Here! I have my Oz citizenship certificate and signed by Mick Young no less!

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 1:07 PM, olderndirt said:

Derby is as far as the '45 Jacobite rebellion got on their England takeover.  Word was that had there been a game on they'd have hung around.

I think that County were away that day at Tranmere Rovers!

• Like 1
On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:48 PM, adambar said:

Why do they call it football when it's rugby. ???  Not the football i'm used to seeing in the US  :D 

The steelers have a 6'9" rugby player from England trying to make the Pittsburgh Steelers team. :D

Christian Scotland-Williamson
Born: July 5, 1993 (age 26 years),   London Borough of Waltham Forest, UK                      
6′ 9″
 273 lbs
Pittsburgh Steelers (#49 / Tight end)
College - Loughborough University
Played for the Worcester Warriors

sEH4K0l.jpg

MQc2aLn.jpg

Alejandro Villanueva 6'9'  320 lbs
2E2By25.jpg

Dan McCullers 6'7" 352 lbs
jNHkx5R.jpg

Just to name a few that size. :D

Nah, that ain't football.

For a start they don't know how to roll around on the deck acting.

Not a lot of tatts either but why do some of them have one dirty knee!

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, olderndirt said:

We have Australian Rules Football here too, a wonderful tough game to watch when I regularly went over 30 years ago.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Nah, that ain't football.

For a start they don't know how to roll around on the deck acting.

Not a lot of tatts either but why do some of them have one dirty knee!

They do a lot of acting trying to draw a penalty. :D

As for the one dirty knee, don't have a clue, never noticed for one thing. :D

• Haha 1