I am a huge fan of Orbx and over the years have purchased over 75 of their products.

Following the MSFS 2020 announcement, where they state that real-world scenery/textures etc will be used for the whole planet, the questions I now have are:

1. How will this impact on Orbx and other scenery developers?
  2. Should I be buying any more scenery products until we know more about the new sim?

Having read that some flight sim companies are halting development of some of their products in light of MSFS 2020, and having just watched the latest VLOG from Ben at Airline2Sim (Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Opinion Piece), I would be grateful if some direction could be given here.

Many thanks,
Dennis

Hello Dennis.

This is the current state of play,

and there has been a subsequent press release for Microsoft that I am sure you will

have found for yourself.

Until there is a lot more known, your crystal ball will be as effective as anyone else's.:)

• Like 2

I'll be buying and supporting p3d/orbx products and p3d addon devs until MS FS 2020 matures to a point where it's the one and only best king sim of 'em all (and I hope that happens). If  and when that happens, I'll back up p3d and all its plane and scenery addons (including the ones from ORBX) on to a dedicated external HDD, wrap it with an anti static plastic sheet, lock it up in the wardrobe and hoard it until I die as a collectable item, a piece of flight sim history and memorabilia. No regrets here. Things in life need to move on, progress and become better. That's just the nature of nature.

• Like 1

Hi

Might I intervene in the discussion by referring to a man born in 1452 and died in 1519. That mans name was Leonardo Da Vinci and his thoughts on flight are well known.

I attach a YouTube link to further underline my thoughts on the subject.

If people at that time had stopped thinking about flight until he produced a better and more workable product, mankind may still never have flown.

Kind regards

Ian S

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regardless of what happens with MSFS, there will still be X-Plane and P3D.  And though old, FSX still soldiers on. There will be a market for current and future ORBX products for a long time to come

Total agree with JV, why in heavens name would one stop building their SIM to their living based upon a trailer.

I'm running two Sims, P3D v4.5 and XP11.35 it's simple enjoy what's here now. What will be will be.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

As for MSFS 2020, if you don't mind paying monthly subscriptions it will be great.  They announced at E3 that even for the PC version you will need Xbox game pass to play and Xbox Live subscription to play online.  

Both will cost $15 per month/$149 per year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArtFlyer said:

As for MSFS 2020, if you don't mind paying monthly subscriptions it will be great.  They announced at E3 that even for the PC version you will need Xbox game pass to play and Xbox Live subscription to play online.  

Both will cost $15 per month/$149 per year.

That's being described as an option to garner more interest from gamers already interested in a library of games. 'Buy a pass / subscription, access '00s of titles' a-la-Netflix model of entertainment.

We don't know yet, but it would strange not to offer a one-off purchase price. (Though we may see any streaming content charged as a subscription).
Again, we just don't have the info yet.

4 hours ago, solentflyer said:
  1. How will this impact on Orbx and other scenery developers?
  2. Should I be buying any more scenery products until we know more about the new sim?

Keep buying what interests you.
I'm limiting my spend to only the add-ons that change my experience in P3D, things I haven't seen done before (or not good enough to buy previously) and I'll be picking them up beyond the release date of FS2020.

Orbx can count on my P3D purchases of Australian CityScenes, YPPH, NZNV, BuildingsHD, Nice/Cote d'Azur, EGNX, and possibly EGLC and TrueEarth Central & North (if they fix the performance with 3DM objects).
I'm sure there will be others when they are announced.

6 hours ago, F737NG said:

That's being described as an option to garner more interest from gamers already interested in a library of games. 'Buy a pass / subscription, access '00s of titles' a-la-Netflix model of entertainment.

We don't know yet, but it would strange not to offer a one-off purchase price. (Though we may see any streaming content charged as a subscription).
Again, we just don't have the info yet.

Yes we do know.  They announced at E3 it would be Xbox game pass subscription needed for PC version and Xbox live to play online.  It is not an option.  All the scenery will be streamed to your computer.

Yes we do know.  They announced at E3 it would be Xbox game pass subscription needed for PC version and Xbox live to play online.  It is not an option.  All the scenery will be streamed to your computer.

10 minutes ago, ArtFlyer said:

From Phil Spencer (Microsoft's head of gaming), himself:
(My emphasis)

We're taking an approach of, as you say, open, and going with the approach that people should be able to *buy* the games in the stores that they want

It will be available in an Xbox Game Pass subscription, but all games available in the Game Pass library can be purchased.
Also, nowhere has it been confirmed that scenery will be streamed. That is just guesswork at the moment.

Anyway, Microsoft's pricing plans are OT.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, F737NG said:

From Phil Spencer (Microsoft's head of gaming), himself:
(My emphasis)

It will be available in an Xbox Game Pass subscription, but all games available in the Game Pass library can be purchased.
Also, nowhere has it been confirmed that scenery will be streamed. That is just guesswork at the moment.

Anyway, Microsoft's pricing plans are OT.

Not what they announced at E3

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-e3-2019-xbox-game-pass-for-pc-detailed-b/1100-6467516/

The press conference confirmed that strategy games Imperator Rome, Football Manager 2019, and Age Of Empires II: Definitive Edition will be coming to the PC version of Game Pass, along with the newly announced Microsoft Flight Simulator.

https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-wants-to-bring-back-flight-simulator-to-show-it-supports-pc/

No way 2 petabytes of scenery is not going to be streamed.  It will not be a game you can purchase, download and play without game pass or Xbox live for online.  The download would need a hard drive over 2000 TB.

Edited by ArtFlyer

My attitude is that the visuals I see with the latest P3D  coupled with existing ORBX products are for all intents and purposes as real as it gets right now.

When Microsoft finally gets their newest out there I'm certain there will be the customary disasters associated with it.

Unless they get better than real after said disasters I could care less and am happy with the improvements to come with ORBX.

To suggest that the hobby  now stand frozen in place waiting for Microsoft gives me a welcome chuckle.   :smile:

3 hours ago, John Venema said:

I would think that any flight sim development company halting production of addons because of the MS announcement is being rather short-sighted.

I posted this on Avsim as a reply to Mir of FlightBeam

Supporter of all your products. In the past, there was a group of developers who unified and decided to no longer develop for FSX. That was a great move. Both in banning together and looking forward. This is another chance for that to happen. If I was in a developers shoes of the caliber that FlightBeam is and how MS caught almost every developer with their pants down with the teaser, I would work hard to do the same.

I would network and ban together with all the great addon developers, work with MS to be part of the beta/release but have a pact to not let any developer leak that they are developing for this new sim. We see MS is saying that they are wanting to work with 3rd party developers but as a consumer we have no idea who is or will be. That is your greats tool for future sales on current platforms. As soon as I know a developers library will be ported to or created for this new sim, my chances of buying it for XP or P3D have gone down greatly. If no major developer is reported to be developing for this new sim and it sounds like it will be default only (which lets face it, looks amazing and not like the past MSFS default FSX) then developers have a better chance of more sales for current releases.

No what I would do is get all the great addon developers of planes, scenery and applications together, get an agreement that no one leaks they are working to put addons into this new sim while working with MS to do just that and then when each developer has a few or whatever is needed to give a huge impact then do a coordinated marketing attack of this is what we are releasing after the sim has come out when the products are ready for purchase.

If us simmers had two to six months of this new sim and not one peep from any major 3rd party developers that they are supporting it and then all of a sudden in a game changer marketing release like what this teaser video has done, find out not only are all the great developers are working to release stuff but in a major co-op they say we are supporting the new sim and starting today you can buy all these products...yeah that would be huge. All the while with the bleak look at not knowing that, P3D, XP and AFS2 still have value.

Just my 2 cents. And to prove my point as a supporter heres proof:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ArtFlyer said:

Not what they announced at E3

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-e3-2019-xbox-game-pass-for-pc-detailed-b/1100-6467516/

The press conference confirmed that strategy games Imperator Rome, Football Manager 2019, and Age Of Empires II: Definitive Edition will be coming to the PC version of Game Pass, along with the newly announced Microsoft Flight Simulator.

13 minutes ago, ArtFlyer said:

https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-wants-to-bring-back-flight-simulator-to-show-it-supports-pc/

No way 2 petabytes of scenery is not going to be streamed.

I think you're adding 2+2 and getting 5.
All of the games you listed that are currently available can be purchased outright on PC - take a look for yourself.

As for the 2 petabytes quoted, most regard that as the size of the source data that Microsoft is working with to create the new scenery, not that the sim will have a 2 petabyte scenery database.
We will have to wait for firm confirmation of that from Microsoft.

Back on topic, it's an individual's choice to decide whether making further add-on purchases for XP and P3D is worthwhile. I feel that there is enough of a wait until FS2020 is ready and there will be enough new stuff for P3D to keep me interested and buying for a little while longer.

[Signing off.]

Phil Spencer says you will need game pass. PC or Xbox.  Read it for yourself.  You will need Live for MP.  PC or Xbox.   

Count on the scenery being streamed.  That is not going to be manageable on a hard drive.  That is why it looks so good.  They are not making this game for a few simmers with giant hard drives.

Edited by ArtFlyer

Come on guys ! Flight sim addons, are like other consumables. It's not because I bought for $1000 of my favorites chocolate bars in the past I will no longer buy them in the future. You buy it, you use it (or eat it) and have joy from it.  You buy a chocolate bar for $1 and have about few minutes of joy. You buy an addon for $50 and have many months of joy. If I buy and addon and use it only for 3 months because of new things are coming out, no problem, I got enough joy from it, so it's ok, same as my chocolate bar, keep it simple, and enjoy what you have.

Mike

• Like 2

So I for one am not interested in streaming my sim. I just want to use it where ever I might be when I want.

Plus its all bandwidth, and with other streaming services and wifi in our house I'm already sucking back a bizillion gigs of data.

I live away (ie snowbird) for four months of the year, I take my PC and some data and I fly when I want no streaming. Which when you live in an RV park is hopeless for data.

I'm thinking this new sim by MS could be quite something but not necessarily a shoe that fits my situation.

You have to realize all this goodness has to fit on an Xbox as well.  They are not going to design a sim that will use up all the storage on the console. Streaming is actually a brilliant solution for them.  For me I'm not so upset about the streaming, but its the monthly subscriptions that I don't like. They have already announced that Xbox pass will be required for the PC version and Xbox Live is required for multiplayer.  Their whole mission with this is to "streamline" the two platform services.   If I could buy it outright and play without monthly payment subscriptions, I'd be interested.  

IMO it's silly to stop purchases of any games or even hardware based on the fact that you know something new is coming out... I didn't stop buying a new apple laptop because I knew in a few months Apple would have a new one, or I didn't bale out of buying Elite Dangerous because I think the game or progress will be obsolete in a year, this just isn't how it works. For Flight Simulation, not only will it be some time before we see addons for the new simulator, us consumers also know very little about it and what aircraft or scenery it will support out of the box. One thing is for certain is that eventually things move on, P3D, AF2 and X-Plane will progress as well, and we should just enjoy it (it's a far cry from the sad situation we had a few years ago when FSX died and we had no choice). Why sit around and wait for something that may never be what you expect :-)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, tonywob said:

IMO it's silly to stop purchases of any games or even hardware  

Nobody is silly, Toby. To each its own (I prefer the French saying here "Chacun voit midi à sa porte":)) . Everybody has his/her now financial constraints and ways of doing things. 

Hardware for instance. Some change their hardware every two or three years. I build mine with top components because I want to use my rig about 6/7 years and not be bothered by incessant changes. My 2013 rig still does a good job. I will postpone a little bit the new build I was thinking of (9900k) to see the new requirements for fs2020 and P3Dv5. How silly is that ;)? I am afraid that the main bottle neck for me will not be CPU or GPU though  but bandwidth (I've a crappy connection) !

On the software side, I pretty much agree with what Mike said. 

10 hours ago, Mikelab6 said:

You buy an addon for $50 and have many months of joy. If I buy and addon and use it only for 3 months because of new things are coming out, no problem, I got enough joy from it, so it's ok,  

Mike

There are on the radar screen a couple of aircraft   and sceneries I will tempted to buy and you know what Oscar Wilde said about temptation... But there are people with more limited budget than mine and I understand their qualms. The new sim should be out between Thanksgiving and Xmas (no, I don't have any insider info but this is likely for various reasons). Time to save for some. Not silly.

I'm going to point out, what nobody has so far...SO...(rubbing hands together...), if it will be data streaming...and THAT...is the only conduit, that MS2020 will bring the world onto the big screen...well now...if M.S. again, packs up and takes a dump...quess what?   You have a flight sim engine on your computer...but NO GAS TO MAKE IT TURN OVER....

I'm not as some are already saying they will...LOL...gonna pack up P3D/XP11/FSX....that HAVE inherent, all the world data they need to run independent of even an Internet connection.

Nope...M.S. has shown me already that if they get p*ssed off about anything, they simply pack up their marbles...leave the alley, and head home...and oh...put a whole lotta talented people outta work....

Just sayin'....