Good evening,

i had a lokk in the forum but could not find a topic raising that question.

orbx africa was announced long time ago and the delayed several times.. since months no news.

are the remaining regions still in development or do i have to assume they are dead ?

thanks for your help, CArsten

• Upvote 1

I'm sure they are not dead. However, I'm also sure the team are very busy on other projects and will let us know when the time is right. :)

• Like 1

According to the latest comments from JV openLC Africa/Middle East should be in beta right now so hopefully it will be released within the next month or so.

As far as future openLC areas, there's really "only" Asia left to do.  It is a massive area so ORBX may decide to split it into 2 separate products.

Considering that it's been 2 years since the last openLC release, I'm not expecting openLC Asia for at least 2 more years and possibly longer. 

Moreover, when you factor in the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 who knows if the next openLC area will even be developed for FSX/P3D.

Dave

• Like 2

I've brought this up before.  It's very obvious Orbx has moved its priorities from FSX landclass to other areas.  We have Australia 2 but further projects including openLC will be very scarce.  They deny it but anybody can see the handwriting on the wall.  I went through this years ago when companies stopped FS9 and moved on to FSX.  I'd still like the company to be honest about their intentions. 

I don't blame JV for changing.  It's an obvious positive business decision.  Time moves on.  

Interesting concept, making up your own version of future events and then advising

others how to behave when dealing with this imaginary version.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Nick, with respect, I'm not making anything up and I'm not telling anyone how to act.  

Facts are facts.  How many products for FSX landclass became available in the last six months compared to other flight simulators? 

It's vey obvious to anyone with a brain what's happening.  I'm not criticizing.  It's a good business decision.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Interesting concept, making up your own version of future events and then advising

others how to behave when dealing with this imaginary version.

What i miss from Orbx or at least JV is an honest statement what we can expect in terms of open lc regions. 

Especially as we saw announcements in the past that lc africa should be in beta since february if i remember a post from JV correctly.

Not saying anything is a shame for a company like orbx and us the fsx and p3d guys who let orbx grow to a company it is now.

just my 2 cents

• Like 1

20 hours ago, RTK1972 said:

What i miss from Orbx or at least JV is an honest statement what we can expect in terms of open lc regions. 

Especially as we saw announcements in the past that lc africa should be in beta since february if i remember a post from JV correctly.

Not saying anything is a shame for a company like orbx and us the fsx and p3d guys who let orbx grow to a company it is now.

just my 2 cents

The latest post was made middle of May 2019 when it was mentioned OLC Africa will "be in beta in a couple of weeks with preview shots to follow". Maybe something will be out soon..

Additionally AustraliaV2 for FSX/P3D is now in beta with a formal announcement soon, and openLC Africa for FSX/P3D will be in beta in two weeks’ time.

This was posted 10th May 2019...so I'm sure things are still in progress. I'm sure we'll be surprised very soon with an announcement!

2 hours ago, Peter Webber said:

This was posted 10th May 2019...so I'm sure things are still in progress. I'm sure we'll be surprised very soon with an announcement!

You might be right.  But don't hold your breath.  There's nothing in the preview screenies forum. 

Yes, True Earth type sceneries are sure the future. They look better and more true to life.

However, it's still not feasable to have a larger chunk of the world covered in TE. The workload will be inmense, and it will cost a fortune. Nobody is going to buy TE Nebraska for 50$, not even for 15, and sure nobody's going to buy TE Burkina Faso. The only reasonable way to give big chunks of the world a reasonably lifelike look is by LC products, and that's what makes OpenLC so valuable.

Edited by Captain Lars
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

Yes, True Earth type sceneries are sure the future. They look better and more true to life.

For me, a very distant future. I prefer to explore the whole world, and I'm looking forward to full OpenLC coverage.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Juanvito said:

For me, a very distant future. I prefer to explore the whole world, and I'm looking forward to full OpenLC coverage.

I couldn't agree more with you.

• Like 1

In order to cover the world in TE goodness, you need to have the satellite imagery at a high enough level of quality.  Not an expert, but securing that kind of imagery in less developed countries will be tough sledding (forget about China or Russia).  And because there is cost involved, there needs to be a real market for it. 

So based on this,, and for the reasons that Lars notes above, I honestly feel that the majority of the FS globe will continue to be LC based.  No need to feel abandoned.

And calling out JV over his statements of which projects are due when is just moronic, I am sorry.  We've paid nothing for any of these products prior to release, and some here act entitled as though they have.  I suspect that this only serves to make JV want to divulge less.  Surely there is a more 'encouraging' way to relay that we are impatiently waiting....

• Like 7

What I would like to see is some straight honest information on about when we will really see Africa.  Also what is the straight honest prognosis on about how many p FSX landclassr products we will see per year over the next few years.  Just a rough idea.  I don't really care if it's none.  I have enough Orbx stuff to last the rest of my life and then some.  I'm just curious what's going on.

ps.  What a pleasure not having to wade through all those birthdays to find what I'm looking for.  Thank you. 

Did someone binge on grumpy flakes this morning? It's just a group of Flight Simmers trying to get information!