TigerTigerM

XP11 - Lasham Aero Tow

Nice shot. The towplane is one thing thats being worked on (as well as the winch) - don't know what those LR boys have experienced towing behind - maybe a Turbo Czmelak - but the climb rate is absurdly high by about a factor of 4  and the towline is hmmn not very realsitic - behind a Pawnee 235 in a K21 in R/L you'll get about 600-700 ft/min - behind the Stinson probably less - but i have only ever seen those used as towplanes in Italy -maybe there's a connection since the K21 has an Italian reg.  R/L towing can be difficult -most newbies tend to overcontrol..... I have a friend though who often rolls on tow and has  towed inverted - the glider and towplane !

14.jpg

Edited by ducati900ss
  • Like 3

Excellent view above Hampshire and an interesting RL pic too.

Never realised that was possible!:o

• Like 2

Nice shot TTM, I took my first FSX Glider flight recently. It was interesting.

6 hours ago, adambar said:

I'm afraid to ask what the problem was. :unsure::D  Great shot anyways! :)

I think I took off in the wrong View.

Had I been in shift 6 i would have been in behind the glider & been able to judge its relative height with respect to the tow plane.

However I was in cockpit view & pretty soon after  releasing the brakes the nose popped up & it wasn't until  I got the nose bavk down that I could see I was nearly vertically above the tow plane , which was still taking off!

Getting back in line - ever seen water skiers zoom sideways back & forth behind the back of the boat?

The glider controls on the tow line required more finese than I had in that flight.:)

TTM

BTW - how do i raise & lower a glider "undercarriage:,  if one is in use??

Yeah I find the tow in X-Plane difficult  -and I have several hundred r/l aerotows under my belt -its way too aggressive at the start -towplane veers if wind not straight down the strip - it's being worked on - also plane will automatically do a normal pattern or take you to nearest lift  - like most of the times in R/L. -you won't have to steer it!. To raise and lower the undercarriage - press the G key -but fixed gear on the K-21.

Edited by ducati900ss

I wondered if it was fixed.

Thanks

What do you recommend as a good freeware or payware glider that can work ridge lift & thermals?

TTM

There aren't many choices for X-plane 11 - the only good freeware 'gliders' are the Horten 11, 111 and 1V  flying wings at the .org - payware would recommend the Aerobask Lange Antares  -its an electric self launch high performance sailplane - hopefully we might be able to update the panel soon to get some proper functioning soaring instruments in it -work is ongoing to do that in the LR ASK21. There is the MLDAG Blanik and Habicht - the Habicht is a nice old aerobatic glider and the Blanik is well modelled -just lacking good soaring instruments.  There are some nice 'motorglider's ' VSKYLABS Schiebe SF25C and PhoenixAir U15, and Avia 71's RF5B -but they are a compromise.

If you want a dedicated gliding sim  can't beat Condor 2 - the graphics are lacking but the flight physics is the best for soaring -r/l soaring clubs are using this for trainning.

For FSX/P3D you can do no better that start at this site - https://fsglider.de

Ian who is doing a lot of development work in both FSX and XP11, site is interesting to visit https://xp-soaring.github.io/

NB: The thermals and ridge lift are poorly modelled in X-Plane  - Ian's working on improving that !

Edited by ducati900ss

I have the Aerobask one, I like it but have no RL glider experiance.....I tend to load a flight in the glider and my start location....go to map....right click on the glider then set the height I want to be at and away I go....really can't get on with tow in sim....

40 minutes ago, wain71 said:

I have the Aerobask one, I like it but have no RL glider experiance.....I tend to load a flight in the glider and my start location....go to map....right click on the glider then set the height I want to be at and away I go....really can't get on with tow in sim....

You can self launch - it has 42 kW electric motor - its a self launching sailplane - that's the whole point behind it in R/L -the independence to self launch. But the developers have done a poor job of instrumenting it properly -most I find have no real life experience of flying sailplanes -its like the DG808 in FSX (POS). Yep the tow is bad in XP11- people are working on it to make in more realistic.

Edited by ducati900ss
  • Like 1