JV:  There are still many of us in this country that don't have NBN.  I have a slow ADSL2 where I live and rarely can get more than 700kb/s....yes, kilobytes....  It has taken me  a full 24hrs to download TEGB. 

Will Aus2 be smaller or larger?

Or would it be possible for you to divide the download into two, say.   Just asking...As I have said I will be a second day buyer...second because I suspect your servers will be clogged up and slowed down even further especially on the first day of offering.

Edited by macca22au

From the announcement post,

FAQ

Q. I own FTX AU (v1), am I eligible for some kind of discount? A. As long as you have a copy of FTX AU v1 in your OrbxDirect account, a discount of 40% will be automatically applied at check-out. 

Q. How much disk space will AUv2 take up? A. Current installed size is approx 21GB, though this is subject to change for final release

Q. Will all my Orbx payware Australian airports work with AUv2? A. Yes. Graham is currently working through all HD airports to correct any compatibility issues. 

Q. I have a third-party mesh installed, will I need this for Australia? A. No. The mesh shipped with AUv2 is the best quality and resolution currently available on the market. 

• Like 1

Thanks Doug, didn’t pay attention to that information.

It will still mean half a day for me at our pathetic speeds.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, macca22au said:

Thanks Doug, didn’t pay attention to that information.

It will still mean half a day for me at our pathetic speeds.

You need a high quality NBN. 

Should have been more in focus in 2013.

I'm getting 6MB/sec on a download now - not brilliant or what it could have been but it is what it is.

I'll buy when my wife is looking the other way :D

I would kill for 6mb/s, I wouldn't know myself.  Would you believe the NBN streetworks are only one hundred yards away and yet we are scheduled for September (and then I'll believe it when it happens).  Ah, as to the wife, in this case there is no problem.  She sees flightsimming as a way to keep me out of her way.  Aus2 is a must.  I hope Orbx doesn't mean to tease us for much longer.

Edited by macca22au
  • Haha 1

Hi,

You could always install IDM and Manually Download, IDM should push that number to 1mb/s and at least it can also save where the download is up to if the download cuts out, there is also a free 14day trial. 

Believe it or not I use IDM.  The resume feature is great, but the IDM speed is what I get.  A good tech told me that even ADSL2 is only as good as the local node, and when it was tested it is lousy to put it mildly.  But the rest of my life has been OK,  so I am not flustered to work out that AU2 will only take 12 hours to bring down.

iam  surprised  that  people  are  saying  nbn is  faster  that  we  got  now guess I have  to  wait  and  see

Macca G'day

I assume you are somewhere in Gods Country since NBN is on the menu:o

5 years ago I moved home and although in a major metro area (Gold Coast) - I could get no Internet whatsoever

ADL was full and no cable laid to the new houses

So I had to revert to a Telstra Mobile Broadband  plan - and I bought a little gadget - (hotspot) and at an outrageous cost got 8GB /month

Over the next 3 years gradual upgrades and a new hotspot later - to 30 GB - I was obtaining 40mbs on 4G for the same price

4 months ago NBN was installed around here and I now fly along - unlimited - on Foxtel for $60

Until you get your NBN - you might take a look at Telstra current offering on https://www.telstra.com.au/internet/mobile-broadband/telstra-4gx-wifi-pro

and that's the hotspot I had.

If you happen to be a pensioner like me - you can have my old one:smile:

2 hours ago, Richard Lincoln said:

I am surprised with ASL2 on the Goldy Macca, sorry I do not have a size estimate at this time.

Macca Me again - just noticed Richards reference to the "Goldy" and you look like a happy  oldy

so maybe you are on the GC (also known as God's country within God's Country) and I can bring the hotspot to you 

Could be that Richard might just notice why I haven't been Simming for a long time and downloading new upgrades like mad @ 45Mbs

2 hours ago, Richard Lincoln said:

I am surprised with ASL2 on the Goldy Macca, sorry I do not have a size estimate at this time.

I'm not. Safe Government seats - no rush.

Edited by chumley

I live in a Canberra suburb.

A large green box finally appeared at the end of the street during April of this year with an expected connection in June. Nine years after the NBN launch in Tasmania.

It has taken a while and I shouldn't complain as there is still a good deal of Canberra (the home of the Australia Government) without NBN. You can't say we are spoilt :) 

Aussie

19 hours ago, macca22au said:

JV:  There are still many of us in this country that don't have NBN.  I have a slow ADSL2 where I live and rarely can get more than 700kb/s....yes, kilobytes....  It has taken me  a full 24hrs to download TEGB. 

Will Aus2 be smaller or larger?

Or would it be possible for you to divide the download into two, say.   Just asking...As I have said I will be a second day buyer...second because I suspect your servers will be clogged up and slowed down even further especially on the first day of offering.

Well macca, you aren't the only one who has slow bb. Here in NZ, you know just across the ditch.

It took me nearly an hour to download TEGB. MInd you, her indoors was watching Netflix in ultra high definition 

at the time on the big tele. Next time I will tell her to do the dusting or something and it may come down

a little faster.:)

Kevin

A month ago I had NBN connected.

Much better than ADSL2

here is my speed test just now

GD4I0tW.jpg

They said for another $20 I could get a boost to over 90 Mbps but I declined the rip off.

Cheers

Ken

• Like 1

In Australia there used to be "Broadband for Seniors" kiosks (several on the Gold Coast), where you could go with your USB stick or external hard drive, and use their computers for free to download large files. Due to the length of time of download, you would have to allow others access to the computer. As long as you stipulated why (this is my major hobby) and the supervisor agreed, you could generally do it. Alas, this scheme ended a couple of years ago, but the resources were transferred to other organisations. May be you can locate one of these organisations.

Petfly: Actually that’s a good thought. I’ll try the local library, it is on NBN I think.  And Greybeard if it only took an hour to download TEGBS count yourself a winner. I envy you. And, John Heaton, many thanks for that sage advice.

Edited by macca22au

6 hours ago, Aussie123 said:

I live in a Canberra suburb.

A large green box finally appeared at the end of the street during April of this year with an expected connection in June. Nine years after the NBN launch in Tasmania.

It has taken a while and I shouldn't complain as there is still a good deal of Canberra (the home of the Australia Government) without NBN. You can't say we are spoilt :) 

Aussie

Hi Aussie,

I have made edits to your post regarding Domestic Politics. Politics has no place in this Forum. 

Cheers Richard 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ken Terry said:

A month ago I had NBN connected.

Much better than ADSL2

here is my speed test just now

GD4I0tW.jpg

They said for another $20 I could get a boost to over 90 Mbps but I declined the rip off.

Cheers

Ken

image.thumb.png.eeb1cfd95fdf497280e4e7a051a867cd.png

I don't need extra either.

21GB is the installed size. The download will be much, much smaller due to the new tech in Orbx Central.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/19/2019 at 9:18 PM, John Venema said:

21GB is the installed size. The download will be much, much smaller due to the new tech in Orbx Central.

I wonder if the talk of download speeds at our end will be the actual problem.

For the last 3 weeks  - ie  - the May sale  -  :) -  I have downloaded 10 separate programmes from Global - Australia etc  - plus the freebie Ausie airports

That was a lot of downloads - but what I did notice was  - that they were coming in at around 4Mb/s - when my capability is 48Mbs

To day I bought Cairns A/P - 2.? GB - and it took 31 mins from wo to go to install.

I assume that means that the Orbx server is only capable of running it's upload at 4/5 Mbs - then the file unpacking (?)- then the install - and unless - the server  - and Central can handle multi uploads - then that will give us days to access  - or long Queue waiting times

I hope I am wrong in this

Hello,

judging by the other reports from Australia, you would be very lucky indeed to enjoy a download speed of 48 mbps,

that would equate to a connection speed of around 385 mbps.

I realise that you might be that fortunate.

A 48 mbps connection should reasonably deliver a maximum download speed of around 1/8 of the connection speed, so 6 mbps.

Then there are the myriad other reasons for a slower download, the route it takes, how many others are online, is

the USA awake and so on, all kinds of things can slow it down.

G'day guys,

For what it's worth, I too share your download pains; my street is still on the ADSL2 bandwagon. As someone who is constantly downloading ORBX beta builds and products (and more painfully, uploading them), my preferred method for larger files is to simply leave FTX-C or the download manager running overnight. I did this recently with the TrueEarth Washington beta (which was much larger than AUv2), and everything was ready for me first thing next morning. 

Obviously this solution doesn't work for everyone, but has worked for me for a long time now. 

Cheers,

Jarrad

I looked at the screen shots and this looks awesome!   And a discount?  Wasn't expecting that.  I haven't flown a lot in Australia but this will change that.

14 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

judging by the other reports from Australia, you would be very lucky indeed to enjoy a download speed of 48 mbps,

that would equate to a connection speed of around 385 mbps.

I realise that you might be that fortunate.

HI NicK

Why do I get the impression that you seem to pick all my missives for a critical analysis - and thanks  - BTW - for removing the first line of your last reply to one of my problems with vector.

I used to teach my Technical Engineering sales force that  - " what is obvious to you  - is not obvious to someone else!"

I can't prove that it took 31 mins to fully install Cairns airport via Central - but maybe this will show my downloads and uploads 5 mins ago - when Europe and all points east of the UK are wide awake

Your 6Mbs calculation will be correct in my case of 48 Mbs - therefore - you prove my point - that even with a very good Download speed - we should not expect to "Install" V2 at a very rapid pace --- for the first week?? - even with America asleep :)

P1020761.JPG

Edited by John Heaton
missed to agree with you

Just a comment when referring to speeds. Please use a small "b" for megabits  and a capital "B" for megabytes.  It makes a difference of 8 times. i.e. 380mbps is equivelant to 47MBps.

I read so many posts that refer to speeds of 4/5mbps when they are meaning 4/5MBps. Also remember that you cannot download faster than the upload (in this universe anyway).

As I understand it the size of ANY file is fixed, so regardles of your Internet speed, it is up to you to download it or not. In my humble opinion it is not an ORBX problem, so why blame them? Get a faster connection or talk to your Internet-supplier.

Jack

the Swede inb Spain

Edited by JJJackson

On 5/29/2019 at 5:35 AM, John Heaton said:

HI NicK

Why do I get the impression that you seem to pick all my missives for a critical analysis

Hello,

you wrote this:

they were coming in at around 4Mb/s - when my capability is 48Mbs

which I understood to imply that you were expecting the download to take place at 48 MBps.

Regardless of the B or b, I was attempting to explain that at an expected file download rate

would be 6 MBps, so 4 MBps was not too bad.

As Jack points out, this is nothing to do with Orbx and as I also tried to point out, download speeds,

meaning the speed at which files reach the PC, not the "download" speed seen in a broadband speed test,

will vary dependent upon many other factors, also outside the control of Orbx.

The remark "I realise that you may be that fortunate" was added just in case your do actually have a 385 mbps

internet connection and was not, as you also seem to imply, a tilt at you or your post.

It is very easy to read into posts on internet forums things that are not there or were not intended by the author.

This comes from cultural differences, differences in outlook and any preconceptions that may be brought to the table.

On 5/29/2019 at 4:08 PM, Bassman said:

Just a comment when referring to speeds. Please use a small "b" for megabits  and a capital "B" for megabytes.  It makes a difference of 8 times. i.e. 380mbps is equivelant to 47MBps.

I read so many posts that refer to speeds of 4/5mbps when they are meaning 4/5MBps. Also remember that you cannot download faster than the upload (in this universe anyway).

Exactly, capitalisation of bps (bits/second) vs Bps (Bytes/second) really makes a huge difference, and you end up trying to compare apples with oranges and leading to confusion when they're not used consistently or appropriately. Usually your network connection speed or bandwidth is expressed in bps, and file download or transfer speed data rate is expressed in Bps.

Mbps (Megabits per second) refers typically to the raw throughput of the network connection, the speed of the actual 1s and 0s being transferred. Then there's transmission protocol overheads such as error correction etc which account for 10%-30% of actual bits transferred in addition to your real file data. MB/s (Megabytes per second) is typically the transfer rate of the actual data, having taken into account that overhead, and is the speed you see your file downloading at on your computer.

So as a general rule of thumb, you can divide your Mbps bit rate from your speed test website by about 10 to yield the typical data transfer rate (essentially divide by 8 to go from bits to bytes, and subtract around 20% for the overheads). This explains John Heaton's real world experience of ~4 MB/s download speed with his 48 Mbps connection. He's actually used up pretty much his entire bandwidth there and the Orbx servers appear to have easily coped in that example.

Let's assume the 21GB installation size gets packed and compressed down to 15GB download size (no idea on actual figure, just picked a number out of thin air). On my crusty ~8Mbps ADSL, I'd be looking at around 5.5hrs best case to download it, assuming the kids aren't hogging my bandwidth with YouTube etc and the Orbx servers are up to the task with everyone hammering them.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 5/18/2019 at 2:24 PM, chumley said:

I'll buy when my wife is looking the other way :D

We seem to belong  to the same club Ha Ha 

• Haha 1

In terms of speedtest.net results, my NBN connection looks great, varying from 90-94 down and 33-35 up, more or less achieving the max "advertised speed" on my connection (our area uses NBN via HFC).

That doesn't help me for ORBX downloads though. Unfortunately FTX central 3 only gives me a fraction of that speed averaging about 500KB/s. For comparison, downloads from places like Steam show an avg speed that fluctuates between 11-12MB/s.

When AUv2 comes out I'll be taking Richard's suggestion above and using IDM (which I've bought mainly for ORBX use!).

Unless of course FTX Central 4 (ORBX Central 4?) comes out by then and has better download management, maybe with multiple connections built in ;) :) 

• Like 1

John Heaton:  if AU2 is released before I get NBN (No Nick, no sour comment coming),  we will have to have coffee, and also work out how I pay you for the one use of the hotspot to get the scenery downloaded.  Indeed, I am always on for a cup of coffee as you know.

3 hours ago, macca22au said:

John Heaton:  if AU2 is released before I get NBN (No Nick, no sour comment coming),  we will have to have coffee, and also work out how I pay you for the one use of the hotspot to get the scenery downloaded.  Indeed, I am always on for a cup of coffee as you know.

Have you checked out Telstra's 5 G - the roll out looks very close to your spot - so is mine - but I am happy with NBN pro tem

Was going to bell you for coffee today - but up to my neck PD3 4.5 install -  and all My Orbx - I bought 1/2 price in May

now I await a similar discount sale at Just Flight to replace my FSX only A/c.

I know you like the medium to large jets - but the a/c in PD3 have me salivating - esp. the Connies and Hercules 130

I can't believe that I waited so long to dump FSX. Last week in FSX - I took my new G1000 PA 46 Malibu of from GC and wheels retract gave me OOOOOM.

Today right on 5.30 sundown - I took her up again in PD3 and watched all the street lights come on as I took a 40min circular over the coast - no cow noises!!

- and that was after a complete new scenery install in just 2 mins - most of which was at the 6% mark.

Searched Yokes and Rudders on Forum today - and ordered some cheap T/Master Rudder Pedals from JBHIFI today to go with the yoke - and they were chosen to take my size 12s:smile:

Now all I want is Ozzie V2 - and your super bits and pieces when the boss lets you upgrade

Hair cut Tues  - pensioner's day - so I may go to Library after and give you a bell FC -  and you can have the hotspot to experiment with.

On 5/18/2019 at 4:07 PM, Richard Lincoln said:

Hi,

You could always install IDM and Manually Download, IDM should push that number to 1mb/s and at least it can also save where the download is up to if the download cuts out, there is also a free 14day trial. 

Richard, I have IDM (paid) and from your servers I get 600 to 800KBPS, I had my ISP download a freeware pack the au ai aircraft and even they were only getting marginally more so for us folks with adsl2 getting a download speed of 4mbps is pie in the sky Oh and when they tested what my connection speed was it showed 8mbps which I don't get so they're looking into that too.

So if ur lucky enough to get fast downloads from ORBX good on ya cos I know I certainly don't and never have.

Hello,

if your connection speed achieves 8mbps, then your expected download speed will be

very roughly 1/8 of that number, around 1MBps.

800 KBps on a connection of 8mbps is pretty much normal.

It's not so very long ago that the best we could get in this village was 1 mbps, a download

speed of around 125 KBps, it seemed fast at one time.

A couple of numbers to up date  ----- at around 12noon - Queensland time - from wo to go

IE from credit card to finish in Central - Download - un packing - scanning  and Installing - 63mins

at around 4.5 MBs

then another 1/2 hour tidying up the bits and pieces  in the guide -- for my new PD3 4.5

Then a quick Take off from Moorabbin to have a look at Melbourne - and afternoon tea at 2.0pm

Well done Orbx crew - my fears were ground less