Nice one, Renault!

Shame that doesn't work in real life - you could leave a "screenshot" of yourself sat in front of the sim while you were off out making all sorts of mischief! (well, once you're mobile again, at least)

• Haha 4

I have too. I learned the hard way that if something doesn't work as it should, to close everything and reboot. Then restart each program one at a time.  I run my Sim on two networked computers, so this can take time, but it works most of the time.

• Like 1

:D At 86 I'm like that ALL the time.

Half the time I'm in the wrong room and can't find my b...y joystick let alone the throttle.  Then I find I'm in the car and it doesn't fly anyway!

• Like 2

That is a really funny one, hey!, now you have 2 joystick

Question: Why do we call them "" Joystick""" :D

Ben

Ha ha, I've done this a few times I'm sad to admit. e.g. Yesterday I had some screengrabs from a customer and was trying to click the Windows X button to close it. It was a double fail, because a) I'm on Mac OS, and b) The X was part of the screenshot and I thought my computer had crashed... <_<

Reminds me of the classic:

Customer told by tech support to "right-click" on the desktop.

Nothing

Told to do it again

Still nothing

Eventually established the customer was writing "click" on his desktop with a felt tip pen

D'uh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/11/2019 at 1:04 PM, andy1252 said:

Nice one, Renault!

Shame that doesn't work in real life - you could leave a "screenshot" of yourself sat in front of the sim while you were off out making all sorts of mischief! (well, once you're mobile again, at least)

What a fantastic idea.:D

You may enjoy this little tale. Back in the days pre retirement I worked for a very large international corporation. When we did large projects, the engineering was done in different locations throughout the world.

Every Monday morning was devoted to all groups participating in a world wide video conference (some in the middle of the night unfortunately).  One of the groups decided to take a group photo, blow it up and have a cardboard cutout made, which they then set up in front of the camera. One of their group was charged with "keeping watch" in case a question came up, while the rest had a nap off camera. They very seldom were asked to comment , so it worked very well for several months.

As you can surmise, a question came up, and in their enthusiasm to answer , the cardboard cutout was knocked over.  We all thought it was hilarious, but the executive in charge of the show, wasn't quite in the same space.

Shortly thereafter, he came out with a classic memo which in part read "From this point forward, only live individuals will be allowed to participate in our Monday morning ……. " . We all thought that some of our colleagues who at various times  exhibited symptoms of being "brain dead" would be forever safe from attending any more meetings.!

Cheers

R

On 5/11/2019 at 3:12 PM, flyingleaf said:

My name is Karl and I'm an Idiot too.:D 

On 5/11/2019 at 6:13 PM, shane280172 said:

Ive been an idiot since Flight Simulator 95 :) 

Gosh thanks guys! I don't feel so bad anymore:)

On 5/11/2019 at 6:58 PM, Sniper31 said:

Well, at least you can laugh about it :) 

Yes indeed. And welcome back!!!

I've missed you:D

R

On 5/11/2019 at 7:35 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

:lol: I'm sorry Renault, I laughed out loud, sorry it happened but I've done things like this too so you're not alone :D

Thanks Jack. I do feel so much better, knowing I am part of the "club"

On 5/11/2019 at 7:49 PM, Ken Q said:

I have too. I learned the hard way that if something doesn't work as it should, to close everything and reboot. Then restart each program one at a time.  I run my Sim on two networked computers, so this can take time, but it works most of the time.

Hi Ken

Very wise advice. :)

Thanks for commenting!

Cheers

R

On 5/11/2019 at 8:03 PM, Scott Harmes said:

:lol:I laughed out loud too, mostly because I know I have had similar brain fades.  Thanks for sharing.

Hi Scott.

We're not alone anymore!

Cheers

R

On 5/12/2019 at 4:26 AM, JohnY said:

:D At 86 I'm like that ALL the time.

Half the time I'm in the wrong room and can't find my b...y joystick let alone the throttle.  Then I find I'm in the car and it doesn't fly anyway!

Hi John

Don't you just love it when you go to where you parked your car and find one that "looks" just like yours  and after spending 20 minutes trying to open the car, end up apologizing to the rightful owner when they show up. Then you slowly realize that "your car" is right where you left it on the other side of the parkade:rolleyes:

Cheers

R

On 5/12/2019 at 6:04 AM, paddler said:

I do so hope that you like the new stick!

It's wonderful. And I was allowed to keep it!!

Cheers

R

On 5/12/2019 at 9:27 AM, Benny said:

That is a really funny one, hey!, now you have 2 joystick

Question: Why do we call them "" Joystick""" :D

Ben

Hi Ben

Yes, one for each hand:D

Cheers!

On 5/13/2019 at 1:56 AM, tonywob said:

Ha ha, I've done this a few times I'm sad to admit. e.g. Yesterday I had some screengrabs from a customer and was trying to click the Windows X button to close it. It was a double fail, because a) I'm on Mac OS, and b) The X was part of the screenshot and I thought my computer had crashed... <_<

Hi Tony

Ha, ha. Love it!

But I'm not getting any better!!  I've been doing a bit of "lua" programming recently and I use Notepad++ which keeps all your edits available when you restart the application. I have my main XPlane installation and one which is "plain" vanilla that I use for testing new ideas etc. I spent several hours updating the program I am developing. Each time , as I changed things I was very happy with the impact of the changes that I was making - no frame rate impact, improved lighting control , better looking scenery etc.  These are all subtle changes, so I wouldn't expect anything major .  Shut everything down and went off to deal with my afternoon physio.

When I came back, I went to the vanilla directory just to make a backup copy for safekeeping. Imagine my surprise when I realized it was gone. It slowly (very) dawned on me that the copy I was updating and editing was in my main XPlane directory.:(:rolleyes:

So my main takeaway : 1)  I am now very firmly a charter member of the "idiots club".  2) The "placebo" effect in my Orbx world is alive and well !!

Cheers & thanks!

R

BTW - good news is all the changes I made actually were good after all....

On 5/14/2019 at 2:50 PM, Fizzelle said:

Reminds me of the classic:

Customer told by tech support to "right-click" on the desktop.

Nothing

Told to do it again

Still nothing

Eventually established the customer was writing "click" on his desktop with a felt tip pen

D'uh!

That's cute!!! :D

It's like the "click any key" to continue I don't have a key that says "click any key" and I never know what to do!

Cheers & thanks

R

Edited by renault
  • Like 2