John Venema

TE GB South XP11 SP1 - List of features and improvements

17 hours ago, John Venema said:

Manual update, Central4 is not finished yet.

John are we to assume there will be an announcement when the update is ready.

What can we expect to see on orbx direct website for the manual update? and will we have to download the whole thing again or will it simply be the update?

Hi John Venema,
Great to see so many POI's in the True Earth Great Britain South. Would it be an idear to port these POI's over to the Orbx region England too? I would be very happy with that.
Thanks!
Bram Stikkel

4 hours ago, rmparry77 said:

John are we to assume there will be an announcement when the update is ready.

...looks like the landing gear is got a problem coming down on this one LOL !... I was hoping for a today release!

1 hour ago, Aeroflux said:

...looks like the landing gear is got a problem coming down on this one LOL !... I was hoping for a today release!

Obviously not happening today.

I guessed as much when I heard there was a last minute bug.

No telling how long these things take to fix, could be a few minutes or a few days, sometimes longer.

Hopefully we will get a release this W/E but regardless we will just have to be patient as they will release the moment it is ready.

On 3/15/2019 at 4:34 AM, Wonderbadger said:

Oh no! Now I'm dissapointed, I was looking forward to the 192 new POI's not sure I want the update now there's additional realism! Some people - never happy, I think we're called "British" - the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence - and the fence is in very slightly the wrong place, speaking of grass being green does anyone know if the mis-textured water bodies issue has been resolved where a lot of ponds and parts of rivers were luscious grass? :huh:

Looking forward to the update, especially the darker roads - its a shame that x-plane thinks that every road has to be wide enough to fit 4 cars side by side, it makes small country lanes look a little odd at times.

Greets from NZCH, share your views entirely, I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo disappointed that there is even more to come! Can my barely adequate psychic defences handle such quality? I don't know! 

Cheers.png

On 3/14/2019 at 11:08 PM, John Venema said:

Manual update, Central4 is not finished yet.

John, have I missed something? Is the manual update through my account 'your products'? I tried the manual download there but this appears to be the original version.

Has the SP1 been release yet and if so, please give some instructions how to get it.

Cheers,

Jelle

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Not yet.

When you see the Release Announcement at the top of the forum or in the Release Announcements forum,

then you will know that it has been released.

….F5...F5...F5...  ;-)   ….but do we really need darker shade roads?...  it`s certainly the feature I am less interested in and to hold the whole package back for that it`s a bit of a shame !  Surprised at the fact that is not here yet as when John is saying something usually it does happen.

Edited by Aeroflux

Love it all. I see Hampshire Constabulary are trialling a new TPAC procedure to celebrate the upgrade of the police car fleet. Reversing at high speed presumably to get the crims to be so shocked they stuff it into a wall. :)

• Haha 1

There are some great improvements in this update.  Thanks to everyone at Orbx for the hard work.

The areas around Plymouth and Brighton look much more recognisable than before.  Plymouth Sound has really come alive with the extra details and elevation changes.

Apologies - I've posted this in the General area too but SP1 is giving me a big FPS hit such that it is uncomfortable for me to run.

I don't have a super powerful iMac but so far have always maintained a minimum of 25FPS and going much higher in  places in my ORBX UK (Nth/Sth/Central).

I tested identical conditions pre and post SP1 - I am struggling to maintain 11FPS

Any thoughts? Tips etc... (apart from get a more powerful Mac!!! ;-)

Cheers

Pete :-)

Please post support issues in the appropriate forums. There should be zero FPS impact with SP1. We have made no changes to the product architecture, only added more 3D models and bug fixes. Since the extra 344 models are spread out across hundreds of thousands of square kms there is no impact at all.

• Like 1

From my point of view I've gained FPS over London, getting a steady 30 FPS now and was well below that previously.

Again thank you Orbx

Great to have this update. However, one of the issues I discovered after the initial release is the lack of ligtning in buildings. Especially in London, Canary Wharf. When leaving form EGLC this is very obvious, as it has been mentioned before on the forum.

380371758_LondonCitynight1.thumb.jpg.a2a5dabc5f8f22078b9100410528f624.jpg

Edited by jellef
  • Upvote 1

The update went smoothly here apart from having to reorder my scenery_packs.ini again but I think thats more an X-Plane problem than an ORBX one.

All seems to work good so far. The darker roads are a big improvement over the old lighter ones.

I was very pleased to see the Solent sea forts had been added although a bit disappointed to discover there not land-able, even the one that has a couple of helipads.

A really fabulous release! The roads look much better. It's off to explore POI's. Thanks Orbx!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jellef said:

Great to have this update. However, one of the issues I discovered after the initial release is the lack of ligtning in buildings. Especially in London, Canary Wharf. When leaving form EGLC this is very obvious, as it has been mentioned before on the forum.

380371758_LondonCitynight1.thumb.jpg.a2a5dabc5f8f22078b9100410528f624.jpg

Yes there are also missing LIT textures for some autogen buildings and those that have them need a little work because currently they look very fake with every window lit with same lighting an example of which can be seen in your screenshot

I elaborate and give an example  of how it should be in the Xplane thread and it is how other scenery developers get their night textures to look much more natural and realistic.

Other than that and the usual issues related to new releases this is an amazing piece of work and worth every penny.

2 hours ago, madmax13 said:

Hi All ,

Great release ... anyone else getting more trees on the roads now ? Also still no Norwich Castle :-(

I don't know if it is purely placebo but the trees look even better than I can remember. There does seem to be a lack of exclusion zones in some places though, for example take off from Cardiff and the aqueduct has trees growing through it.

Edited by david broome

HI

JV announced that the increased zoom levels had been pulled from SP1 but the images might be used for future projects.

Kind regards

Ian S

• Thanks 1

Thank you John for this update. 

The changes are immediately noticeable.  I've never seen  a developer take an already beautiful and acceptable piece of software for the price and essentially offer "version 2.0" of it for free.   Yet here we are.. You did just that.. 

Thank you..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Can we keep support issues out of this topic please? If you have any problems with SP1 then create a separate post in the X-Plane support forums.

After flying around TE South with SP1 especially around Southampton you chaps at ORBX have done a fantastic job, the roads are so much better as are the houses, just love the brickwork.  All these details have now made TE South an area to be flying in.

Many thanks to John and his team.

Regards

Nigel.

58 minutes ago, Nigelhj said:

After flying around TE South with SP1 especially around Southampton you chaps at ORBX have done a fantastic job, the roads are so much better as are the houses, just love the brickwork.  All these details have now made TE South an area to be flying in.

Many thanks to John and his team.

Regards

Nigel.

I fully agree with you, I am blown away.

Looking forward to the SP for TE Central

Thank you so much Mr Orbx.

Dave

From my point of view, TE GB South XP11 was already excellent !

TE GB South XP11 SP1 is more than excellent.

Sincerely, many thanks for this ! Hope to see the same for all parts of GB.

PS : however, I note that the Southampton region is still part of Germany... :D

Sans titre 5.jpg

Edited by antier

On 3/17/2019 at 7:58 PM, david broome said:

I don't know if it is purely placebo but the trees look even better than I can remember

Nope, this is actually correct. The tree placement and variety was improved in SP1, so you're not imagining it :-)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We actually made brand new motorway signs for the UK but when we implemented them in the sim it appears that the textures are cut up and re-used to make variations of town names etc. 

So we will have to figure out the texture mapping and we’ll add in the new signs in SP2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

LOL that is awesome attention to detail guys.

I will admit to flying low in X plane to read motorway signs before now and always wondered if it would be possible to swap out signage or even put in correct signage 

Now that's VFR! :lol:

The rotten food from hardcore simmers is hitting me in the face already!

The trees look fantastic too, amazing job, they were always one of the weaker elements of Xplane autogen.

Edited by david broome
  • Like 1

From my point of view, TE GB South XP11 was already excellent !

TE GB South XP11 SP1 is more than excellent.

Sincerely, many thanks for this ! Hope to see the same for all parts of GB.

PS : however, I note that the Southampton region is still part of Germany... :D

Sans titre 5.jpg

But we are still in the EU so maybe Orbx is catering for all EU nationals!:rollmyeyes:

Edited by Nigelhj
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1