This is not a support Q (I don't think; it's a matter of judgment) --

Sorry for having so many questions in recent weeks, but I’ve upgraded my PC and have now learned a lot about OOMs, VAS, scenery management, etc.  As a result, I’m doing much better, and having better flights.  But intellectual curiosity compels 3 more questions tonight:

1.         Experts on several FS forums advise that you can increase your VAS by:

(a)        stashing high-maintenance planes in a new file (e.g., “Hangar”) where they will not be accessed by the sim and use up VAS; and

(b)        disabling photoscenery that you will not be flying through.

The premise of this advice is that things in FSX use VAS even though you’re not actively using them.  How is this possible?  If it’s true, then in theory you could have so many  airports and planes in FSX that you wouldn’t have any VAS left at all, even without loading any of them.  If you're not accessing a file, how can it be soaking up VAS?

2.         Programs like TweakFPS purport to prevent OOMs by letting you select an appropriate config file, given your plans.  Some of these save VAS by changing textures, resolutions, etc., and they seem to work – but in some cases, even while keeping your max FPS set at “unlimited.”  Given that the human eye can’t really see any difference in frame rates much above 20, isn’t it ALWAYS a good idea to limit your FPS?  If you’re cruising at, say, 150 fps, doesn’t that mean your video card is working to keep your FPS up at the cost of neglecting other stuff, like textures and resolutions?

3,         I understand that VAS declines over time in flight.  Why?  I see from FSUIPC that it sometimes increases a bit, notwithstanding the trend.  I also see from FSUIPC that the logged minimum VAS for a completed flight is lower than the read-out on the screen and on the minute-by-minute log.  Why are there 2 minima?  Which one counts?

That’s all for now.

Thanks all, 

Mac6737          

Do yourself a favor and ditch that old dinosaur sim,,,why make yourself suffer, there are better options you know..

Hello Mac6737,

It has been such a long time since FSX was launched that within the vast amount of perfectly

good advice, there is some very poor advice that through repetition has gone from being

nonsense to fact.

1. The simulator only loads the aircraft that is in use.

I doubt that anyone actually wrote that decreasing the number of accessible aircraft would

help to reduce VAS usage but as one would expect, it most certainly reduces the time it

takes for the aircraft menu to appear.

Disabling photo scenery does indeed help to reduce VAS usage.

2. Anything that reduces the load on the simulator will make it less likely to run out of VAS.

The debate over frame rates has raged since the beginning of flight simulators.

Suffice it to say that common sense would suggest that if the simulator is not chasing

frame rates, then it has more resources available to perform other tasks.

3. VAS is not managed as well by FSX as it could have been if the development team had

been allowed to finish their task. They had started and the "Preview Direct X 10" mode, with all

its faults, is much better at managing VAS.

5 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

I doubt that anyone actually wrote that decreasing the number of accessible aircraft would

help to reduce VAS usage but as one would expect, it most certainly reduces the time it

takes for the aircraft menu to appear.

Nick,

Thanks for your reply.  Yep, someone actually did write that, including the suggestion about the file named "Hangar," but I have neither time for, nor interest in, retracing my steps and outing the author.

But I'll say this for his (or her?) logic: If the simulator "only loads the aircraft that is in use" (which makes eminent sense), why does it load scenery that is NOT in use (unless disabled)? I'm inclined to believe you're correct, but my curiosity remains unassuaged.

BTW, of all the problems I've ever encountered with FSX, time to load the aircraft menu has never ranked high.

I am getting closer to making the leap to Prepar3D.

Mac   

Hello again,

the simulator deals with aircraft and scenery in a completely different way.

You could test this yourself if you are sufficiently curious.

You would find that after you have loaded an aircraft, you could remove

most of its files and it would still continue to run, possible all of them.

In other words, aircraft are loaded once and then just the loaded files are used.

You could then visit an airport and once there, try removing all its files.

You would find that many could not be moved because they are in use and

that when the simulator started to look for the removed files, it would freeze

with numerous missing file messages.

In other words, scenery usage is live, the files are used where they are.

Placing your unused aircraft in a folder that the simulator cannot see, whether

it is called Hangar or not really doesn't matter, effectively removes those aircraft

completely from the simulator and cannot therefore use any resources at all,

any more than files on a DVD in your cupboard can.

Similarly with scenery, the simulator library is there, as its name suggests, to be

the library that provides the simulator with its scenery.

If a scenery item is unticked in that library, then the simulator no longer loads it

and it also can use no resources.

Nick,  Isn't it the case that the simulator doesn't load up scenery until it needs it, even though that scenery is active/enabled?  That is to say, scenery outside the LOD radius set in the simulator isn't loaded until that scenery is within the LOD radius.  For example, if I take off from KSAN San Diego and fly off toward KMRY Monterey, KMRY and its surroundings aren't loaded into the simulator until that area is within the LOD radius of the aircraft.  This is how I've understood the situation anyway, given what Holger has stated on past occasions, though I may be mistaken about his explanations.

The problem is that FSX (and P3D v1+2) loads everything within 60 nm of the aircraft into the RAM, but it does not unload it when that part of scenery has left that bubble. So if you have a long flight overflying a lot of detailed payware scenery or photo areas your memory will fill up and ultimately run out of adresses. It was solved in P3D v3 when the guys at LM recoded the memory handling by inserting the much needed unloading procedure.

Edited by Vora

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 3:08 AM, kaboki said:

Do yourself a favor and ditch that old dinosaur sim,,,why make yourself suffer, there are better options you know..

I just downloaded Prepar3D this afternoon.  We'll see.

Hope you approve.:unsure:

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:34 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Probably but that isn't really the point here.

Actually, with all due respect blah blah, it seems to me that IS the point.

Stewart is open to the possibility that scenery beyond the radius of your settings is not loaded and therefore can't impact VAS.  I have no opinion, which is why I posted the Q.

I'm an attorney, not a techie.  Let's you and him fight! :D 

Hi

P3Dv3 is still a 32bit program, with VAS issues as FSX.

P3Dv4 is the 64bit sim you want that no longer has the VAS issues.

ASF2 and X-Plane 11 are also 64bit sims with no VAS issues.

The VAS issues you are curious about have been beat to death for many years now....this is why they have evolved to the 64bit simulators. :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mac6737 said:

Actually, with all due respect blah blah, it seems to me that IS the point.

Stewart is open to the possibility that scenery beyond the radius of your settings is not loaded and therefore can't impact VAS.  I have no opinion, which is why I posted the Q.

I'm an attorney, not a techie.  Let's you and him fight! :D 

More importantly, with a 64-bit sim, VAS is a non-issue.  Not so important is the issue of what scenery is loaded when into the sim, and does the sim release that scenery when it's no longer needed, as P3D3.x and later are designed to do.

• Like 1

Indeed the unloading procedure only mitigates the VAS problem in P3D v3. E.g. if you're flying over Orcas Island you'll have Vancouver and Seattle inside your bubble. If you have the local OrbX cluster of airports loaded as well you'll be in trouble and no unload procedure will save you. The only possibility to solve this problem is to have a 64bit platform (and lots of RAM).

Jeeez Nick, what did i do know, i didnt do anything agaisnt the rules. Do you have a complete lack of sense of humour? 

We all know that FSX is dying now, was that offensive? What was the problem with my post. I feel like im walking on glass in this place... 

Edited by kaboki

No, you will persist in posting comparisons between simulators.

This is not only extremely tedious, it is against the forum rules.

One way to stop you would be a short ban from these forums.

Please stop it.

• Like 1

I didnt compare anything in that post, nada nothing and wasnt even going fown that route. So no its illegal to say that i personally prefer xplane, jezzzuzzb christ

Edited by kaboki

This is your post

LOL, yeah, going from FSX to prepared sure gonna help you with memory issues. I would have gone xplane, but thats just me:p,,,

Anyway, installing FSX nowadays is no point. Development on that plattform is slowly starting too fade, one example is you cant get orbx TE for it, because it cant handle it. 

It is clearly suggesting in your own inimitable way that FSX is no good, P3D is not ideal and X Plane is the only way forwards.

Here is the rule, I have highlighted the part your comment breaks.

Advertisements, release announcements, sales, contests, affiliate links, and other promotions for other developers or companies are not allowed. Similarly, criticism, comparisons and adverse comments about other developers' products, including flight simulators are not allowed. The Orbx forums are a private platform and not to be used for promoting or condemning other entities.

Nor does there seem to be any humour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its you that is paranoid to read such things... But ban me as much as you like, why not ban your own tonywob too, he was pretty sparkling in hes critique of p3d in a thread you deleted yesterday..