Rodger Pettichord

ORBX FREEWARE -- Varadero, Cuba (MUVR)

Hi all. As we continue our exploration of the ORBX freeware airports available by downloading the freeware packs, we head to Cuba. Our developer has taken us to Varadero, a city on the north coast just south of Florida. Our freeware airport, Juan G. Gomez Intl., is the second-most important in Cuba, trailing only Havana for foreign arrivals. Europeans and Canadians have discovered the great beaches and sightseeing attractions of this peninsula, and good tourist facilities and safety make it a favored destination. Today's 128-mile day flight is from Varadero (MUVR) to Sancti Spiritus (MUSS). Our route takes us down the center of the western half of Cuba. With thanks to ORBX Open LC North America and our ORBX freeware developer, then, let us go for a visit to sunny Cuba. Well, mostly sunny.

In keeping with the Cuban tradition of using extended-life cars, we come to the airport in an old Toyota Celica. She's shined up and purring like a well-tended kitten.

KJfOg5i.jpg

We drive behind the terminal and parking lot to the field entry gate.Lots of taxis and buses available for tourist arrivals, Nice touch.

332yG5e.jpg

Coming in past the service area. Plenty of appropriate machinery. I put airport vehicle slider to max and enjoyed all kinds of service comings and goings.

cCoxW1J.jpg

Heading part the gate area to the flight-line road. I never could get an AI plane to show up. Traffic slider to maximum still left all bays empty. Maybe a scheduling thing? Seemed odd for an airport that is so busy in real life.

oBVqZI1.jpg

The flight-line service road allows a good view of the entire airport strip. The only thing not shown is a small GA area just off the car's rear left quarter. There, a Gulfstream and a Lear are parked near a service building.  My one sadness is that there was not a lot of life to this airport. There were a couple of our familiar line people, but nothing more. I was hoping for the fascinating conversations and interactions we saw in the Mexican freeware airports. But, still, what we do have  here is a vast improvement on the default version.

x2m57QR.jpg

Our plane for our day flight is a Super Decathlon. Good for local flights and sightseeing.

mvxBufr.jpg

Coming off the runway, we can see the airport complex in its entirety.

Pi96stq.jpg

We head inland. with the Gulf of Florida to our left. The land below is a combination of cultivated land and undeveloped portions. In reality, there are lots of tourist activities available down there.

JzVWG7e.jpg

ORBX Open LC North America makes a valiant effort to liven up this long stretch, The details are detailed and varied. But there is an awful lot of this same scenery. Of course, that's the fault of real life, not ORBX. Because art imitates life, there's a lot of this......

RcWtEVH.jpg

And this...

IpoOCkB.jpg

And this...

dCW9eX5.jpg

Things finally got interesting when my new weather program threw a real-time ground haze at me.

fsMF9v8.jpg

It kept gathering and thickening.

aXXgeJj.jpg

To the point where I was starting to wonder about spotting my destination airport at Sancti Spiritus. I'm still flying FSX, and you will remember how FSX airports tend to hide until they pop into view at the last minute.

UsG7Bvt.jpg

Sancti Spiritus is ahead and to the right about eight miles away. Look for that telltale linear break in the blurred FSX distance. That will have to be it.

3HYQhIG.jpg

I was so proud of myself. I found the strip in the haze and made base successfully. Then, just as I was about to show my true skill and daring-do by making a perfect fog landing, the new weather program hiccuped, blinked, and cleared the skies. Who can be proud of that? I won;t embarrass us by showing the letter-perfect unlimited visibility landing that resulted. Child's play.

7ic9pUh.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Nicely done post Rodger . :):)

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Rodger, I enjoyed your post despite the dull landscape. I'm sorry to see that landscape, in reality there's a little bit more diversity, square fields, round irrigated fields, and generally not so much hedges that you can find all over the FTX Global world. I remember them from Ethiopia, particularly.

• Like 1

You Sir are quite the adventurer, finding these rather out of the way places to explore and explain the great (and not so great) aspects of the areas, well done! :D

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Another terrific guided trip Roger, I lik d it a lot.

Thanks, Jack. Even in its duller spots, LC gives us quality.

2 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

Rodger, I enjoyed your post despite the dull landscape. I'm sorry to see that landscape, in reality there's a little bit more diversity, square fields, round irrigated fields, and generally not so much hedges that you can find all over the FTX Global world. I remember them from Ethiopia, particularly.

Thanks for opening the reality a bit more, Captain. Cuba is too vibrant a country to be seen as dull.

2 hours ago, Wakashi said:

You Sir are quite the adventurer, finding these rather out of the way places to explore and explain the great (and not so great) aspects of the areas, well done! :D

Thanks, Wakshi. I'd really like to know why a given developer decided to work on any given one of these offbeat airports. A couple of them--like this one--are important regionals, but many are just strips in the sticks. Don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy going where few have gone before and seeing what ORBX makes of it. These freeware gems are the perfect excuse to do so.

2 hours ago, Wakashi said:

• Like 2

good to explore a such area Rodger ...and your first shots remind me the Starky & Hutch Gran Torino car B)

8 hours ago, jean marc said:

good to explore a such area Rodger ...and your first shots remind me the Starky & Hutch Gran Torino car B)

Sounds good to me, jean marc. I'll make the change :lol:

An interesting post Rodger.

There is usually plenty if life here bet they all ran away when they saw you arrive in your Toyota Sillycar!:o

• Like 1
  • Haha 1