Jump to content
Capt Pugwash

2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (P3D) & 1TB 850 PRO (X-Plane)

Recommended Posts

 

I purchased the 2TB SSD to allow me to add the TrueEarth GB Sceneries going forwards to my P3DV4 installation...using Samsung Migration software...I moved everything including Win 10 from my 1TB 850 PRO ssd to the new 860 EVO ssd via internal sata connections in approx 50mins! ... all tested ok and speed/read times are same/similar to the 850 pro.

3C715F32-5A20-4EE5-97E6-3465635A32DB.thumb.jpeg.94b92dad32f8fecd312e1f95528b7bb5.jpeg

 

My plan for the 1TB SSD is to wipe it and use it for installing X-Plane...I have never tried X-Plane, but really fancy seeing how good TEGB will look & perform compared to P3D TEGB... (the images I am seeing of X-Plane with TrueEarth GB have tipped me over the edge)...they look incredible and appear to perform well on X-PLANE & a good spec PC...so today I bite the bullet and buy X-Plane and Orbx TrueEarth GB. 

 

It may well be that I use XP11 for TEGB for ‘Low & Slow’ and P3D with no TrueEarth but Global, Vector and already installed ORBX sceneries for global and UK/Tube flying...

I eagerly await TEGB for P3D...then I will know if I need to concert my UK vfr flying on XP and ‘split my simming’ between P3D & XP

 

One Question Though ...how easy is it to put X-Plane and ORBX TrueEarth GB on a separate drive???...(my existing Orbx Central & all Orbx P3D are to remain on new C-drive 2tb ssd) I have looked through the forum and can’t quite get clarity on how to make the installation process for XP & TEGB on a seperate (non OS) drive...please can somebody point me in the right direction (is there an installation guide for installing to  a different drive?) is there a relatively painless installation process for X_Plane and TrueEarth Gb to be installed on a seperate dedicated SSD Drive?...tks

Edited by Capt Pugwash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 10:58 AM, Capt Pugwash said:

 

I purchased the 2TB SSD to allow me to add the TrueEarth GB Sceneries going forwards to my P3DV4 installation...using Samsung Migration software...I moved everything including Win 10 from my 1TB 850 PRO ssd to the new 860 EVO ssd via internal sata connections in approx 50mins! ... all tested ok and speed/read times are same/similar to the 850 pro.

3C715F32-5A20-4EE5-97E6-3465635A32DB.thumb.jpeg.94b92dad32f8fecd312e1f95528b7bb5.jpeg

 

My plan for the 1TB SSD is to wipe it and use it for installing X-Plane...I have never tried X-Plane, but really fancy seeing how good TEGB will look & perform compared to P3D TEGB... (the images I am seeing of X-Plane with TrueEarth GB have tipped me over the edge)...they look incredible and appear to perform well on X-PLANE & a good spec PC...so today I bite the bullet and buy X-Plane and Orbx TrueEarth GB. 

 

It may well be that I use XP11 for TEGB for ‘Low & Slow’ and P3D with no TrueEarth but Global, Vector and already installed ORBX sceneries for global and UK/Tube flying...

I eagerly await TEGB for P3D...then I will know if I need to concert my UK vfr flying on XP and ‘split my simming’ between P3D & XP

 

One Question Though ...how easy is it to put X-Plane and ORBX TrueEarth GB on a separate drive???...(my existing Orbx Central & all Orbx P3D are to remain on new C-drive 2tb ssd) I have looked through the forum and can’t quite get clarity on how to make the installation process for XP & TEGB on a seperate (non OS) drive...please can somebody point me in the right direction (is there an installation guide for installing to  a different drive?) is there a relatively painless installation process for X_Plane and TrueEarth Gb to be installed on a seperate dedicated SSD Drive?...tks

Hello,

 

here is a guide that can give you some answers.

 

I'm not sure ( An ORBX technician will confirm you ) but central ORBX will settle at the place that XP is installed.

 

https://www.thresholdx.net/guide?fbclid=IwAR3KsXXjxAcBjtMy0UMlc8HpBpdik8nFP1X2AitA49JzXFc39RJqT9pKwwM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Captain. You won’t be dissapointed in going for Xplane plus your doing exactly what I’m thinking of doing in keeping P3D without TrueEarth. I like it as it is with just the regions and it still looks fantastic. Only trouble is I updated it yesterday to 4-4 and even watching Poppets video I still cocked it up so to speak in that I didn’t download the two cab files at first and even after downloading them it took a few restarts to get everything back to normal. Hopefully it’s ok now. The only thing is it hasn’t got a thing like FTX Central to install items into the correct order so you have to manually move items around. But there’s plenty of people who can help here if you make a mistake. Plus another thing with Xplane there’s loads of free stuff to install. Derek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I told you wrong about FTX Central not working with Xplane, think I was thinking of something else. Of course it does work with Xplane. Sorry Derek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

Hi Captain. You won’t be dissapointed in going for Xplane plus your doing exactly what I’m thinking of doing in keeping P3D without TrueEarth. I like it as it is with just the regions and it still looks fantastic. Only trouble is I updated it yesterday to 4-4 and even watching Poppets video I still cocked it up so to speak in that I didn’t download the two cab files at first and even after downloading them it took a few restarts to get everything back to normal. Hopefully it’s ok now. The only thing is it hasn’t got a thing like FTX Central to install items into the correct order so you have to manually move items around. But there’s plenty of people who can help here if you make a mistake. Plus another thing with Xplane there’s loads of free stuff to install. Derek

Thank you for the positive XP feedback Derek...I am hoping TEGB for P3D will land this week so I can then gauge how it looks/performs and then in turn try the x-plane TEGB...then I should have a clear view ahead regarding my Tube flying & my low & slow  UK vfr flying...get the feeling xp might be better for my vfr but we shall see how TEGB for P3D pans out first. 

 

Cheers, CaptP

Edited by Capt Pugwash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Capt

Did something similar recently ... in that I bought a new Samsung 2 TB 860 EVO just for X-Plane 11 and projected ORBX True Earth scenery, did have XP 11 installed with first two TE volumes installed on my P3D XP11 shared SSD, but chose to un-install completely and install XP11 afresh on my new 2 TB SSD.

I personally do not intend to go forth with True Earth on P3D anymore but will keep that Holland/Netherlands install going and use only ORBX TE scenery for XP 11 from here on in and buy everything ORBX throws at it :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2019 at 2:47 AM, Colin M said:

Hi Capt

Did something similar recently ... in that I bought a new Samsung 2 TB 860 EVO just for X-Plane 11 and projected ORBX True Earth scenery, did have XP 11 installed with first two TE volumes installed on my P3D XP11 shared SSD, but chose to un-install completely and install XP11 afresh on my new 2 TB SSD.

I personally do not intend to go forth with True Earth on P3D anymore but will keep that Holland/Netherlands install going and use only ORBX TE scenery for XP 11 from here on in and buy everything ORBX throws at it :)

Hi Colin, sounds like you have it all well sorted...presume you are getting smooth flights in TEGB in x-plane and reasonable load times?

Will x-plane and Orbx TEGB just install to a seperate ssd drive rather than the os c drive or are there complications do you know?

PS: How much ram do you have in your rig?

Edited by Capt Pugwash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Capt, what it was ... I had Xplane11 and P3Dv4 installed on their own smaller SSD but with the arrival of ORBX TE was starting to struggle for space so thought the time was right to give Xplane 11 its own large 2TB SSD, my plan is to buy all ORBX do TE for Xplane so figured 2 TB should do ... I hope it does :) SSD's start to get quite expensive above 1TB.

Load times are good, no problems there, very smooth in flight, really enjoying Xplane 11 after a bumpy start with previous versions, XP10 ETC.

I pointed FSX Central towards my new 2TB SSD for the temp download location as this drive currently has most free space, the temp folder clears once a FTX download is finished .. I like that.

I'm currently running 32GB DDR3600, originally it was 16GB, the extra 16GB is not essential 99% of the time, but on occasions DCS and some missions do burst the 16GB bubble and as ram was creeping down in price ... thought why not, a wee bit of future proofing too, could not get 2 x 16GB modules of the speed I wanted for my overclock so called OcUK where I buy my parts from and they suggested filling all 4 memory slots would be fine, so its 4 x 8GB modules of the same speed and flavour and its working fine, was worried filling the 4 slots might put a strain on the memory controller (have heard this can happen) but its been fine and my overclock is still solid and reliable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to clarify my way of doing things Capt ... and after reading the thread again.

I do have ORBX TE Netherlands for P3D, but from now on in I will only buy TE for Xplane 11 and keep P3D and indeed FSX for traditional ORBX scenery, I still keep FSX because I still like that for a few things ... like the available missions that P3D lacks, FSX has its own 1TB SSD too :)

Never mentioned, but I have my OS on a Samsung EVO M2 drive ... more of a chip really, LOL its a 250GB one and its just for the OS ... probably not necessary, but its how I like to do things., you will be fine running the OS and sim on the one drive.

PS: I run Aerofly 2 and its a fun VR sim especially, but does not seem to be taking off the way I had hoped it might ... Its FSX/P3D/Xplane11 for civilian flight simulation for me now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to chip in....... The Samsung 860 Evo's are fantastic drives for the money, I have 3 in my system, one for the OS, one for Prepar3D and one for XPlane.

 

The OS and Prepar3d drives are both 500Gb each, and the drive for Xplane is 1TB, with my Custom Scenery being a symbolic link to a 2TB HDD (7200); I am not noticing any issues with performance in flight with the custom scenery being on its own HDD, although my initial load time is slightly longer now, I can accept that until the price of a 2TB SSD comes down. I also have a 2nd 2TB drive HDD that I keep for my media, downloads etc, and is also the location of my temp folder for Orbx. 

 

I fly mostly low and slow GA, so I'm pretty much just keeping Prepar3d now for Australia, and I'm transitioning everything else to XPlane. 

 

Personally I blame FILOU...... his screenshots are awesome and made me go back and look at XPlane again.....lol

 

Terry 

 

Edited by TerryM
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×