active CityScene Orlando.....Something's Not Right.....Or,

2 minutes ago, W2DR said:

John, there is no way I can tell you how tired I am of people telling me it's a mid-low-end system problem. It's clearly something else......Intel 4790K @ 4.7Ghz, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard, Noctua NH-U12S cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro. I too can load things in 6 Min. 30 Sec. with all scenery layers enabled....until I activate Orlando CityScene.

Did you read my post?  I'm saying that if you have a system like yours, Orlando should load in 6 mins 30 secs because that's what I get. If you can't load Orlando in that time, as i can, then there may be something outside the control of ORBX that is causing your long loading times.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Guys,   First, the goal of these Cityscenes is to keep all load times under 5 minutes max.    I will give you a little background history on things regarding the beta testing of this prod

Matt.   I think there is something else going on unique to your system.   Orlando should have very little if any impact on KNUW load times.      I have been struggling with find a way to exp

Is this going to be the way of life now with these large file scenery's? I can see turning off scenery that your not using but to turn the ORBX libraries off just for this area to get better loading t

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, John Dow said:

Like I have said in many posts, mine loads in 6 mins 30 with all scenery layers enabled, including libraries, and if I disable all but essential scenery layers in Scenery Config Editor, a process tha takes about 30 seconds, I load in 2 mins 50 or less.

So no, it's not clear that this release has crossed that line, rather, if people have mid to high range systems that can't load the scenery in the same time as me, then there is likely to be something else at play, that needs to be investigated.

I have to agree with John on this one.  I have a higher end system and I load 4mins. 34 sec. with everything enabled except the P3D/scenery/ Orlando and KORL.  Whatever the issue is Orbx is sure to address it in time. B)

3 hours ago, John Dow said:

Did you read my post?  I'm saying that if you have a system like yours, Orlando should load in 6 mins 30 secs because that's what I get. If you can't load Orlando in that time, as i can, then there may be something outside the control of ORBX that is causing your long loading times.

3 hours ago, John Dow said:

I guess it's time to close down this whole subject as the discussion seems to be going nowhere. The load times I quoted are on a fresh SSD partition with a fresh install of Windows 7 and a fresh install of P3D4.4. The only add-ons installed are ORBX scenery. What else is there "outside the control of ORBX"? So, I give up. If this is a system problem then I have no idea where to go from here.  CityScene Orlando has been deleted. If there is some sort of new information available in the future I'll try it again then. But this is apparently the direction ORBX has chosen to go with future scenery offerings and unless something changes I doubt that I'll ever buy another one..........Doug

To all:

If you have Acronis True Image 2019 installed you MUST disable Acronis active protection. This will do the trick!

If you don't have Acronis True Image 2019 installed, well i really don't know......but if you have try this.

I have windows 7 64bit running and after i disabled Acronis Active Protection, the hang up @ 6% has gone! After 10 seconds it starts loading again. No more delays at 6%.

FYI: only Kord and Orlando disabled in scenery config file.

Thanks to Kai, he has figured this out.!!

• Like 2
Just now, bbking said:

To all:

If you have Acronis True Image 2019 installed you MUST disable Acronis active protection. This will do the trick!

If you don't have Acronis True Image 2019 installed, well i really don't know......but if you have try this.

I have windows 7 64bit running and after i disabled Acronis Active Protection, the hang up @ 6% has gone! After 10 seconds it starts loading again. No more delays at 6%.

FYI: only Kord and Orlando disabled in scenery config file.

Thanks to Kai, he has figured this out.!!

I have it too but mine was already disabled and still get the 7 minute 6% loading.  Not a big deal right now.

29 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I have it too but mine was already disabled and still get the 7 minute 6% loading.  Not a big deal right now.

Hi Jack,

maybe it helps too excluding the whole folder of your sim in the native Windows 10 defendersystem. There is an ability to exclude folders or files from watching and ransomwareprotection I have disabled too. I think these tools are doing the same like TI 2019 does.

Kai

Edited by KaiUweWeiss
  • Thanks 1
Just now, KaiUweWeiss said:

Hi Jack,

maybe it helps too excluding the whole folder of your sim in the native Windows 10 defendersystem. There is the ability to exclude folders or files from watching and ransomwareprotection I have disabled too. I think these tools are doing the same like TI 2019 does.

Kai

I just looked at this now, I didn’t see any place where I can do this.  

3 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I just looked at this now, I didn’t see any place where I can do this.  

Exclude the entire Prepar3D folder Jack.  it's listing in Windows Defender. Scroll down til you see Exclusions. Hit the Plus sign,and add the location of you Prepar3D folder

Edited by FireRx
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, KaiUweWeiss said:

I'll give you two screenshots from mine, but it is a german windows. Try to find it in english; it can't be difficult.

Kai

Unbenannt-1.jpg

Unbenannt-2.jpg

Thanks, just excluded my entire P3D folder and going to KMCO now and timing it.  It’s stuck at 6% but we’ll see for how long.

1 minute ago, KaiUweWeiss said:

Yes, and don't forget user\apppdata\roaming... and programdata\...

Kai

Well, after it loads, I’ll quit P3D and do this too.

2 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Jack,

type Windows defender into search.

Then Virus and threat protection\Virus and threat protection settings Manage settings\Exclusions Add or remove exclusions

Thanks Nick!  Found it.

7 minutes ago, KaiUweWeiss said:

Yes, and don't forget user\apppdata\roaming... and programdata\...

Kai

Well, without excluding these and just excluding P3D’s folder here’s my results.

To 6% too 6:46

To 100% 8:17

Now to suit and exclude these and test again.

Just now, FireRx said:

awwww, 

wish I could teamviewer your machine Jack. something is up.

Thanks, but every single time someone has done that I have to re-enter my P3D licensing information and even LM doesn’t know why so I’m a little fearful of Teramviewer.

Another things I just noticed.  The tree shadows flicker like crazy with this scenery.  I’ve tried the same test at many other Orbx sceneries and airports now and no flicker.

I get the same frames no matter where I am, 29-30 with it set to 30 locked.

4 hours ago, FireRx said:

awwww, 

wish I could teamviewer your machine Jack. something is up.

What’s odd is I have been doing testing all day, mostly with FSUIPC.  So I’ve been placing all kinds of planes at the default airport.

So I just placed a PMDG 747 at the default and decided to see what would happen if I moved it to KMCO.

It whipped past 6% but now it’s stuck at 35%.  Same loading time.  I’m baffled, I guess it just has to load all the buildings.

13 hours ago, W2DR said:

I guess it's time to close down this whole subject as the discussion seems to be going nowhere. The load times I quoted are on a fresh SSD partition with a fresh install of Windows 7 and a fresh install of P3D4.4. The only add-ons installed are ORBX scenery. What else is there "outside the control of ORBX"? So, I give up. If this is a system problem then I have no idea where to go from here.  CityScene Orlando has been deleted. If there is some sort of new information available in the future I'll try it again then. But this is apparently the direction ORBX has chosen to go with future scenery offerings and unless something changes I doubt that I'll ever buy another one..........Doug

To wrap this up from my side, I've just spent a couple of hours setting up a definitive testing program of what happens with and without Orlando and/or ORBX LIBS on my system, which appears to be very similar to yours, and in today's market is no more than upper mid-range.  You can see the specs in my signature.

I'm using P3DV4.4 with its default scenery, every ORBX scenery and the OZx and OZx NA sceneries, as well as 6.7GB of scenery in my Add-on folder.  P3D LOD setting and the complexity settings are set to Maximum, they're the only ones i can think of that would affect load times.  My Scenery Library has 425 layers.  I'm using Scenery Config Editor V1.19 to quickly adjust scenery layers active or not active.  Between each test I loaded and started a flight in FSX to ensure the RAM wasn't holding any traces of the P3D files.

The flight I used as a benchmark is a start in the F22 Raptor at KMCO Active runway.

The results:

Test 1.  All scenery entries above Vector unticked except NAM OLC and Orlando. 

Start:  0:00

Past 6%:  0:32

100% ready to fly;  1:57

So Orlando on its own without other sceneries for P3D to scan gets past the 6% barrier in half a minute. 

Test 2.  All scenery entries above Vector unticked except NAM OLC Orlando and ORBX LIBS. 

Past 6%:  1:03

100% ready to fly;  2:14

It seems that even though Orlando doesn't use any Library objects, the P3D coding still needs to cross reference for some reason, adding some 20-30 secs to the process.

Test 3.  All scenery entries ticked, all 425 layers including Orlando and ORBX LIBS.

Past 6%:  5:25

100% ready to fly;  7:09

The ultimate heavy load test on the P3D coding but still managed to be ready to fly in 7 minutes.  Too long to be comfortable with but nothing like 20 + minutes that some users are experiencing.

Test 4.  All scenery entries ticked except Orlando.

Past 6%:  0:18

100% ready to fly;  1:39

This shows that the Orlando scenery is subject to a coding problem within P3D, with only the autogen objects to be checked loading is extremely fast.

Test 5. All scenery entries ticked except ORBX LIBS

Past 6%:  4:45

100% ready to fly;  6:35

This shows that the ORBX Libs play a role in the long loading times but only a minor one.  The loading time for Orlando and many scenery layers is still long.

My summary?  My computer is able to load Orlando with everything in my scenery library active in a bit over 7 minutes.  If I don't want to wait that long I can go into Scenery Config Editor and untick blocks of un-needed scenery such as airports and OLC and regions on other continents, and get loading down to 2 minutes or so.

I don't have any anti virus software or other programs that might affect program loading.  I don't have any texture enhancement programs like REX or heavy airliners or World traffic programs, any one of which might be found to slow down loading. I do have a high quality motherboard, whether that helps data processing between RAM and CPU I don't know. I don't have any of the affinity or LOD tweaks that some users put into the Prepar3D.cfg.

Something must be throttling systems that should be experiencing similar load times to mine but aren't.  But I'm not enough of a computer guru to even start to suggest what they might actually be.  All I can say is that if excessive load times had been experienced during testing, there's no way this scenery would have been passed by the beta team.

Hi,

I'm still using FSX & have experienced the same 6% load delay problem.

Unfortunately I have over 800 sceneries in my Library,so unticking all of them to get Orlando KMCO to load faster is just not an option.

I'll just have to uninstall the City Scenery until a permanent solution can be found.

Yes I agree a warning that this issue exists should have been placed on the product to alert customers before purchasing.

9 minutes ago, Sibbritt said:

Hi,

Unfortunately I have over 800 sceneries in my Library,so unticking all of them to get Orlando KMCO to load faster is just not an option.

I'll just have to uninstall the City Scenery until a permanent solution can be found.

Yes I agree a warning that this issue exists should have been placed on the product to alert customers before purchasing.

So you load up all 800 sceneries just to fly from Brisbane to Canberra, for example?  There are programs out there which enable you to load only scenery you need in order to fly your trip, without the hassle of disabling all the sceneries which are not needed.  It would seem this would go a long way to allowing a decent load time for Orlando.  John's post above would seem to confirm this.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

So you load up all 800 sceneries just to fly from Brisbane to Canberra, for example?  There are programs out there which enable you to load only scenery you need in order to fly your trip, without the hassle of disabling all the sceneries which are not needed.  It would seem this would go a long way to allowing a decent load time for Orlando.  John's post above would seem to confirm this.

would you like to share the names of these programs and can you confirm they don't mess anything up? we have Xorganiser in XP11 and this I think lets us do something similar, never tried one for my P3D install though....

3 minutes ago, wain71 said:

would you like to share the names of these programs and can you confirm they don't mess anything up? we have Xorganiser in XP11 and this I think lets us do something similar, never tried one for my P3D install though....

My personal choice is SimStarter NG--it's payware and works efficiently, is very well documented, and is updated by the developer when necessary.  Nick Cooper here uses his favorite, which he recommends, but the name escapes me, atm.  You can set up any number of profiles with your choice of Orbx full fat regions, geographical areas (Northern Europe as opposed to Southern Europe, for example), entire countries (Canada, for example), etc., etc., and only the layers you select for that profile will be enabled for your flight.  You can also link together multiple profiles if, for example, you plan to fly from FTX_SCA to FTX_PNW, KSAN to KPDX as an example, so only those two profiles will be enabled and loaded into P3D, making for very quick load times.

Stew

• Like 1

Btw, it's also possible to set up different sim profiles, say, one for daytime flying and another for nighttime flying; or GA flying or jetliner flying, enabling or disabling P3D features (LOD setting or texture resolution, for example), suitable for the type of flying you do.  The possibilities are numerous, all depending on the type of flying you do.  I tend to set my sliders as high as the sim tolerates fps-wise, since I do only GA flying.

1 hour ago, Sibbritt said:

Hi,

Hi

I also would recommend SimStarterNG and indeed I would almost regard it as essential if you running FSX  particularly with 800+ scenery library entries! I actually have even more scenery entries than you in FSX and have been using SimStarterNG for some years mainly as a means of minimising VAS related OOM incidents by reducing the number of scenery areas active during any one flight. As Stew says, it really is a very good utility which not only allows you to set up and store different scenery configurations for easy access and faster loading of your simulator but also allows you to set up different FSX configurations for different scenarios.

With regard to City Scene Orlando, by following the advice recommended in the manual, I have now reduced my FSX loading time when Orlando is active to less than 5 minutes and I have done a few sightseeing VFR flights of around an hour long around this great scenery area without any significant issues and without any OOMs occurring. Clearly, in FSX anyway, you need to be cautious with your sliders and not max them all out and also be careful not to use any very resource intensive aircraft if you are to avoid hitting the 4GB VAS limit, but if you take these precautions you can enjoy some very nice flights around the area.

So I would suggest that if you using FSX you should give SimStarterNG some serious consideration! Obviously the VAS limitation doesn't apply to P3Dv4 users but, as Stew has indicated, SimStarter can also be a very useful in that platform.

Bill