Jump to content
John Venema

A few 4Ks from GB South and Central

Recommended Posts

The buzz from just using these products is pretty good, so I can't imagine how it must feel to be responsible for producing them. Pat yourself (and all the others) on the back, Mr V!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incredible!

 

If I didn't have so much money tied up in not only all of Orbx's P3D stuff, and if A2A and PMDG supported XP I'd go with it right now because of these shots.

 

What's the next step?  Something I wrote a short story a few years ago?  I jokingly said we'd eventually have sims where we all pilot drones and use the video feed from it for a total immersive environment.  This is close Mr. JV!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my sir John :o

 

I'm completely ruined. I'm spent the last 4 months, cajoling, begging and generally using every opportunity

to convince my wife that what I wanted for Christmas was an absolute must have:rolleyes:

 

Now, I have t go back and convince here that I need a new 4K monitor too!

 

I'm finished  …. :o

 

BTW these are outstanding …. there is simply no other way to describe them

 

Cheers

Renault

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, andy1252 said:

The buzz from just using these products is pretty good, so I can't imagine how it must feel to be responsible for producing them. Pat yourself (and all the others) on the back, Mr V!

 

It feels immensely rewarding to fly over our own creations, always has done.

 

16 hours ago, nkurun said:

How did you get cloud shadows to display so clearly on the ground John? Do you need xVision, UWXP and/or ASXP to do that?

 

UWXP controls the size, amount, and brightness of clouds. This affects the size of the shadows on the ground. Additionally UWXP also allows you to darken the clouds and increase their resolution, making them sharp and more defined.

 

15 hours ago, Gussgull said:

what 4k monitor john 

 

 

It is the Acer Predator 32”, 60Hz and two years old now but still does a mighty job https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Predator-XB321HKbmiphz-Monitor-Adjustable-x/dp/B017U8Z61W/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1544885920&sr=8-5&keywords=predator+monitor

 

12 hours ago, cyberpilot said:

Great shots John but when will those of us who use P3D4 get to play with this wonderful scenery?

Will Santa have something in his sack for us folk?:unsure:

 

Yes he will if all goes to plan. My 2019 roadmap is out next Tuesday and we will also broadcast on Twitch that evening.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi John

 

All kidding aside these are fantastic. I realized after my previous note, that the answer to my desiring a 4K monitor was actually staring me in the face -- our media room is a 4K system.

I had a very long hdmi cable lying around and tried it from my existing system and the images are great .

 

If you wouldn't mind, did you ever publish the spec's for your laptop, or would you be able to provide some advice please on processor speed/type, ram and video ram/ card type that you are using. My existing system is in need of some upgrades in some area's and it got me to thinking that perhaps I should seriously consider just replacing my system with a laptop and moving Orbx to that.  Have you encountered any issues, that would make you consider using a desktop environment again.

 

Many thanks if you could find time to answer. I appreciate that you are very busy.  

 

Orbx True has been a game changer for me.  It has revitalized my interest in flight simulation and continues to provide me with many hours of enjoyment. You and your team create an excellent product that is simply put "Just Outstanding"

 

Thank you 

 

Cheers

Renault 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my laptop: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Zephyrus-GX501VI-GZ021T-i7-7700HQ-Processor/dp/B073TZGDPS/ - It runs XP11 at 4K between 17-35fps depending on sliders and location, and only at 30Hz because of the HDMI 1.3 connection. It would be considered a ‘mid range’ PC these days. I will be keeping to use at FSExpo and Cosford as a good demo PC.

 

I have an older (built late 2016) Scan 3XS desktop which is in the process of being upgraded with a new x390 mobo, BeQuiet! case, i7 8700k CPU @4.9Ghz and liquid cooling. The Samsung M.2 EVO 960 2TB SSD failed in that so they are replacing that with a new M.2 EVO 970 2TB.  I will keep the old GTX Titan X Pascal that was in it, which is as fast as a RTX2080 anyway. That is what I’d call a high end system.

 

For the UK development centre we will be building a ‘Uber-crazy’ flight sim PC with an i9 9900K @5.1Ghz, liquid cooling, 32GB DDR4 RAM, Dual RTX Titan V’s with nVidialink bridge, M.2 EVO 970 2TB SSD and a Dell 8K (yes, 8K!!) 32’” IPS monitor. That should run XP11/P3D at 8K at 60fps.

 

A 8K, each screenshot you take in XP11 will be a 48MB png file! Welcome to insanity...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John Venema said:

For the UK development centre we will be building a ‘Uber-crazy’ flight sim PC with an i9 9900K @5.1Ghz, liquid cooling, 32GB DDR4 RAM, Dual RTX Titan V’s with nVidialink bridge, M.2 EVO 970 2TB SSD and a Dell 8K (yes, 8K!!) 32’” IPS monitor. That should run XP11/P3D at 8K at 60fps.

 

A 8K, each screenshot you take in XP11 will be a 48MB png file! Welcome to insanity...

 

As Mark Kermode is fond of saying, Blimey Charlie!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2018 at 9:44 AM, John Venema said:

This is my laptop: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Zephyrus-GX501VI-GZ021T-i7-7700HQ-Processor/dp/B073TZGDPS/ - It runs XP11 at 4K between 17-35fps depending on sliders and location, and only at 30Hz because of the HDMI 1.3 connection. It would be considered a ‘mid range’ PC these days. I will be keeping to use at FSExpo and Cosford as a good demo PC.

 

I have an older (built late 2016) Scan 3XS desktop which is in the process of being upgraded with a new x390 mobo, BeQuiet! case, i7 8700k CPU @4.9Ghz and liquid cooling. The Samsung M.2 EVO 960 2TB SSD failed in that so they are replacing that with a new M.2 EVO 970 2TB.  I will keep the old GTX Titan X Pascal that was in it, which is as fast as a RTX2080 anyway. That is what I’d call a high end system.

 

For the UK development centre we will be building a ‘Uber-crazy’ flight sim PC with an i9 9900K @5.1Ghz, liquid cooling, 32GB DDR4 RAM, Dual RTX Titan V’s with nVidialink bridge, M.2 EVO 970 2TB SSD and a Dell 8K (yes, 8K!!) 32’” IPS monitor. That should run XP11/P3D at 8K at 60fps.

 

A 8K, each screenshot you take in XP11 will be a 48MB png file! Welcome to insanity...

 

Thanks very much John. This was both very informative and helpful.

 

I hadn't thought too much about file sizes until you mentioned it. One thing that is a bit interesting is that compared to a standard 1080p screen ( about 2 megapixels) my rough calculation is that a 8K screen is about 35.3 megapixels which is a lot of info to render. However, I am assuming that when you are looking at 8K you are using source imagery which is still at 4K resolution. In this case, the 8K gives a great screen image ( with no need for antialiasing) , but doing a complete operation in 8K with source data at that resolution is more than my poor mind  wants to contemplate . Going from 4 to 8K means a factor of 4 times I believe , so VRAM requirements  --- now that is mind boggling (I'm assuming that with the dual Titans you are looking at somewhere around 22 - 27 GB Vram ) . It's going to be a grand adventure for sure! :D

 

Thanks again

Cheers

Renault 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2018 at 6:37 PM, John Venema said:

Yes I am trying the new darker roads which I think work very well.

 

We will make them a third option in SP1 and North.

Hi JV,

this reminds me of the not too realistic looking vector roads in the FSX/P3D world. Some 1-2 years ago I had a forum conversation with Holger about more plausible widths and textures for the roads. Is there something in the making now or planned for the future?

 

Cheers

Markus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...