52 minutes ago, JoseCFII said:

Looks like 11-28-2018 is going to be an exciting day. :D

It sure is, I wonder how the pbr is going to look! To the developers: Any precautions with orbx products ? Should we wait until we upgrade our client or will our products work fine ?

Is it just a simple swap of the P3D Client, or a long wait for developer updates.  JV, could you kindly give us some guidance on this?

Just now, macca22au said:

Is it just a simple swap of the P3D Client, or a long wait for developer updates.  JV, could you kindly give us some guidance on this?

I suspect there may be an NDA on this at present otherwise it would have been mentioned already.

Finally catching up to XP in the PBR end of things.

But I like the sounds of activate/deactivate addons at runtime without requiring a restart ...this will be very cool.

Bryan

I always do a full install after a P3d update.

For v 4.4 there are too many features & improvements and I would advise a full install. I'm sure that there will be some users who will not do full installs and that's their prerogative.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JoseCFII said:

For v 4.4 there are too many features & improvements and I would advise a full install. I'm sure that there will be some users who will not do full installs and that's their prerogative.

Well there is just one problem with a clean installation.You have to reinstall ALL your add-ons again. With over 900 scenerys and over 50 aircrafts it will take a long time.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

There is an incredible bit of freeware to install all of your scenery (and even aircraft) via the add-on.xml method outside of the main P3D folder.

Look for Lorby-SI Prepar3D V4 Addon Organizer (P4AO).

I have nothing but the highest regard for it, as it has saved me (and will save me) many, many hours of re-installing.
It's an incredibly powerful, but quite simple tool to use (just read the manual first).

Nothing to stop anyone from using it now to get ahead of the re-install frenzy that comes with a new P3D point release.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4.4 will support higher resolution (512x512 and 1024x1024) textures. What's the consequences for TrueEarth, if any?

41 minutes ago, F737NG said:

There is an incredible bit of freeware to install all of your scenery (and even aircraft) via the add-on.xml method outside of the main P3D folder.

Offtopic: can this tool do this after a scenery was installed the classic way? And how long does it take per scenery or addon? I might consider this step, but I fear that something goes wrong and then going back would be nearly impossible, no?

49 minutes ago, F737NG said:

I have nothing but the highest regard for it, as it has saved me (and will save me) many, many hours of re-installing.
It's an incredibly powerful, but quite simple tool to use (just read the manual first).

Nothing to stop anyone from using it now to get ahead of the re-install frenzy that comes with a new P3D point release.

Interesting. I have Lorby installed but how that would help me to reinstall my scenerys I don´t understand. Let´s look at the ORBX products, how can Lorby reinstall them? I need to use FTXCentral..... or? Please advise me.

Jack

the Swede on Spain

HelloJack,

as things stand you would be spending far more time setting up xml entries for Orbx than it would take to reinstall it.

One day, no doubt, it will be installed outside P3D but not yet.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Offtopic: can this tool do this after a scenery was installed the classic way? And how long does it take per scenery or addon? I might consider this step, but I fear that something goes wrong and then going back would be nearly impossible, no?

Yes, you can, but read the manual first.
I am now able to remove a scenery and add it back using .xml method in a few clicks and taking probably no more than a minute maximum.
You would have to move the appropriate scenery folder manually first.

Search for the thread "P4AO how to add legacy scenery" over on Avsim's forums for a step-by-step guide.

Just now, JJJackson said:

Interesting. I have Lorby installed but how that would help me to reinstall my scenerys I don´t understand. Let´s look at the ORBX products, how can Lorby reinstall them? I need to use FTXCentral..... or? Please advise me.

ORBX scenery will have to take care of itself using FTX Central - it's ingrained in the main P3D folder.

However, your other sceneries are already installed. I have moved mine out of the main P3D folder to anywhere I've wanted and then used Lorby's P4AO to make P3D recognise them in the scenery library.

I'll say again, please read the manual and the step-by-step guide I suggested above. However, it's really easy once you know how to make it work.

• Thanks 1

The element I'm most looking forward to in the immediate future is "Photoreal textures can now be rendered at 512×512 and 1024×1024 resolution."
That should make TrueEarth ortho images look as good as they are supposed to.

Everything else on the (rather long) list are, for me, just nice to haves at this moment in time.

4 minutes ago, Ian St said:

What's PBR?

This came up as well a few months ago.
It was answered in this thread, with a very useful article linked in the 4th post.

Edited by F737NG
Readability

2 minutes ago, F737NG said:

Answered in this thread a few months back:

Very useful article linked in the 4th post.

Thanks mate, looks interesting. Lots of excitement over at AVSIM.

21 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

HelloJack,

as things stand you would be spending far more time setting up xml entries for Orbx than it would take to reinstall it.

Thanks Nick! Just wanted to have that confirmed. Per today ONLY 6 of my 900+scenerys use the xml-method and only 2 of my aircrafts.

I did use a "workaround" making a clean install of my v2 to v3 and it worked perfectly. :D

Jack

the Swede in Spain.

2 hours ago, JoseCFII said:

That's what I'm going to do Jose.

33 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I'm going to do as I always do.  Wait.

Unless PMDG's planes as well as A2A's and FSLabs, are ready, along with FSUIPC, GTN750, and AS4 are ready I want no part of it.  Otherwise it's just plain vanilla P3D.

Plus, I also wait sometimes months for all the bug reports to come flooding in.  Sometimes they break more than they fix so I'll wait though entire releases.  So here's hoping but I expect bugs.

Just my two cents.

100% on the money Jack ;)

2 minutes ago, rockliffe said:

100% on the money Jack ;)

Thanks, but I wonder most importantly about Orbx's stuff. Will it need to be converted or whatever magic it is they do?  Or will it work fine in the new version?

• Like 1

I think I will wait for Poppet to give us her take on installing 4.4.  She is more in the loop than any of us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Unless PMDG's planes as well as A2A's and FSLabs, are ready, along with FSUIPC, GTN750, and AS4 are ready I want no part of it.  Otherwise it's just plain vanilla P3D.

Plus, I also wait sometimes months for all the bug reports to come flooding in.  Sometimes they break more than they fix so I'll wait though entire releases.  So here's hoping but I expect bugs.

Just my two cents.

Totally my opinion. So I´ll add another 2 cents, who´s next?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks, but I wonder most importantly about Orbx's stuff. Will it need to be converted or whatever magic it is they do?  Or will it work fine in the new version?

Hello Jack,

many of the staff are continually testing the P3D beta versions against the products so that in the event of a substantial change

there will be no major unpleasant surprises for anyone.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Jack,

many of the staff are continually testing the P3D beta versions against the products so that in the event of a substantial change

there will be no major unpleasant surprises for anyone.

Thanks Nick!!

Thank you Nick, I was just going to ask about that.  Hiya Jack B)  I'll ask about fsuipc on their forum. He's usually up on the updates. 

Edited by FireRx
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FireRx said:

Thank you Nick, I was just going to ask about that.  Hiya Jack B)  I'll ask about fsuipc on their forum. He's usually up on the updates. 

Hi hi!  Thanks!

1 minute ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Hi hi!  Thanks!

I Just chatted with Pete.  You good to go on FSUIPC  Version 5.15.  :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Poppet and Pete D hope you have a stiff drink or 3 as you’ll be busy over the next few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I, too will do a full update, but I have at least learned something over time.  I have downloaded all my Orbx stuff as zips, which makes reinstallation a breeze.  Planes and airports will as usual take forever.  Do you people go as far as de-activating when you uninstall Academic, or do you remain activated.  And is a risk or does it not make any difference.

13 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

HelloJack,

Hello Nick. Is it better to do a fresh install p3d 4.4? If you think it is I don't mind to re-install my addons.  I find it goes pretty quick with FTX central. Cheers Karl.

Hello,

I don't know the answer to that, as I am not a P3D beta tester.

I understand that it will be released today though.

10 hours ago, macca22au said:

I, too will do a full update, but I have at least learned something over time.  I have downloaded all my Orbx stuff as zips, which makes reinstallation a breeze.  Planes and airports will as usual take forever.  Do you people go as far as de-activating when you uninstall Academic, or do you remain activated.  And is a risk or does it not make any difference.

Hi. Think we are told that to remain Activated is good though I have found it doesn’t matter one way or the other. Derek.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Just my two cents.

I fully concur! After v 4.3 was released I waited about a week for my must have add-ons to be updated: ORBX, ASP4, PTA, EZDOK, & GTN 750/650.

Most good devs update their addons quickly and every P3d update comes with welcomed enhancements (such as better performance with DL in v 4.3) so for me updating is a no brainer.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JoseCFII said:

I fully concur! After v 4.3 was released I waited about a week for my must have add-ons to be updated: ORBX, ASP4, PTA, EZDOK, & GTN 750/650.

Most good devs update their addons quickly and every P3d update comes with welcomed enhancements (such as better performance with DL in v 4.3) so for me updating is a no brainer.

Orbx and those other add-ons usually get updated quickly, it's the planes, the study level planes I'm concerned about.  Really any planes as I see so many bug reports right after LM updates it.  So I stand off in the distance perusing the support forums for those planes and wait till I feel it's safe.  

• Like 3