Rodger Pettichord

MONTANA BACK-COUNTRY AIRSTRIPS

MONTANA BACK-COUNTRY STRIPS:

FAMILY PICNICS AND FRIENDLY FLY-INS

The Bush Air Strips of Idaho are justly famous for their unforgiving difficulty. The state of Idaho actually has warnings attached to many of the air charts advising recreational flyers not to attempt them unless trained in back-country flying procedures and techniques.

Next-door Montana has far fewer back-country strips (just four), and those are quite usable by the casual flyer. These strips often host overnight family camping and regional fly-in camp-overs. These strips, nevertheless, are not for the unprepared. All are at higher altitudes (3,000 to 5,000 feet) that will severely affect underpowered planes. And all are subject to rapid weather changes which make for sometimes unwelcome surprises.

For an enjoyable ORBX day-flight, start at either Kalispell or Missoula then turn east into the Rockies and aim for one of the USFS strips nearby. They are all within sixty miles of either city. You can do a one-way flight in one hour.

MONTANA U.S. FOREST SERVICE BACK-COUNTRY AIRSTRIPS

[Small Cessnas and Pipers may struggle with the altitude of these strips. Try a Kodiak Quest, a Pilatus 6, a TurboOtter, or a Westland Lysander. Larger planes that work well are the BN-2 and the Twin Otter]

Condon USFS (S04)

Meadow Creek USFS (0S1)

Schafer USFS (8U2)

Spotted Creek USFS (8U4)

MONTANA PRIVATE AIRSTRIPS

Montana contains many farms and ranches. Many of those have small, private airstrips from which the owners fly for commercial purposes. Locations range from isolated mountain strips to easily reachable strips in open country. Owners do not welcome unexpected guests but often will accommodate flyers who are courteous enough to call and ask permission. Some of these strips offer some of the most beautiful family camping sites in America. Most small planes can handle most of these strips.

Abel Ranch (17MT)                                                        Lanning Ranch (MT50)

Big Beaver Creek Ranch (MT98)                                  Mackay Ranch (MT10)

Black Canyon Ranch (MT39)                                        Morgan Ranch (MT65)

Buchanan Ranch (MT75)                                               Morris Ranch (MT03)

Buffalo Trail Ranch (MT16)                                           N Bar Ranch ((09MT)

Campbell Ranch (MT88)                                                Nine Quarter Circle Ranch (1MT0)

Cottontail Ranch (MT36)                                               Ox Bow Ranch (11MT)

Crazy Mountain Ranch (MNT8)                                    Peterson Ranch (MT77)

Flathead Lake Sky Ranch (MT95)                                Pinehurst Ranch (0MT7)

Floyd Ranch (MT09)                                                       Sand Creek Wildlife Station (MT79)

Flying Arrow Ranch (MT21)                                          Sikorski Ranch (MT74)

Flying Y Ranch (MT48)                                                   Wounded Buck Ranch (22MT)

Foster Ranches (MT89)

Holland Ranch (14MT)

Hollstein Ranch (MT20)

Keiley Ranch (MT69)

Laird Ranch (MT05)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

More than welcome, Jack. Hope it feeds the community.

Surely ... A many trip to do & fly bythere now :)

5 minutes ago, futurebreadmachine said:

Omg, this is excellent, thank you very much! 

Sure glad you can use it, FBM. Enjoy!  Now for the important question -- what is the significance of "futurebreadmachine"? My guess it that it's your way of reminding yourself what you are going to buy for your wife for Christmas -- OR ELSE! :rollmyeyes:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Sure glad you can use it, FBM. Enjoy!  Now for the important question -- what is the significance of "futurebreadmachine"? My guess it that it's your way of reminding yourself what you are going to buy for your wife for Christmas -- OR ELSE! :rollmyeyes:

He will buy it for her if he has enough dough!:wacko:

• Haha 2

Thanks for your hard work in doing this Rodger.

I am not sure if I will get here though as I would have forgotten by this evening.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Thanks for your hard work in doing this Rodger.

I am not sure if I will get here though as I would have forgotten by this evening.

You are welcome, my friend. Now, about that pun about "dough".....:D

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

You are welcome, my friend. Now, about that pun about "dough".....:D

I suppose I didn't knead to mention it.:wacko:

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Chunk said:

Thanks for sharing Rodger. Gonna try these in the Maule, until/if A2A brings the Cub to P3Dv4. 

Glad to have the chance to give back, Chunk. I will warn you that the Maule can get awfully tired at altitude. I don't quite know why because it is made for STOL. But if you have an accurate model, it will wheeze as you get into the higher mountains. Let me know how your's works out. I love that plane and would like to hear that you had a good experience with it in MT.