Just a question - does anyone know what this might be

G'day all

This is a screenshot from a group I had taken while flying about near Barmouth, North West Wales the other day. It's just up the Mawwdach Estuary away from the coast a short ways on the south side of the valley

Does anyone know what the two pink areas are?  I have googled it and did find a passing reference to comments about a pink lichen like plant that occurs at certain times of the year and I also wondered if this was somehow a leftover from the gold mining activities of yore. (lots of really neat background info on gold mining which was fascinating reading, but nothing specific ).  Oddly it is very specific to these two areas and I have never seen anything else like it.

Just made me very curious ….

Cheers 

Renault

FvQdyPT.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Now I may be wrong Renault, but I think its called pink lichen mountain near Barmouth, North West Wales.  :D

Actually, no idea but I thought I'd have a little fun with ya. :P

Ha , Ha  I love it Jack!!

A whole new species -- I did a little bit of research and we could call it Mountain Lichen - Dimelaena "Jack Sawyer" , or maybe its a member of the genus "Staurothele" colloquially know as "wart lichens" or "little rock pimples"  .  I prefer Mountain Lichen - Dimelaena "Jack Sawyer" myself.

It has a certain cachet to it and is also know to break out in brilliant yellows every 10 years or so :)

"Little rock pimples - Jack Sawyer" just doesn't do it for me :blink::rolleyes:

Thank you for this -- this has made my entire day and my face is wet from laughing and crying so much.:D

Cheers!!

1 hour ago, jean marc said:

Maybe a mashmallow field or stockpile :lol:

Could be JM - Could be !!

In which case , I need to go back right away and check it out before some one else beats me to it.:D:D

Cheers!

R

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Seriously though, it looks like a bug.
The pink areas correspond to water bodies, the larger one being Llyn Gwernan (Gwernan Lake).
Wikipedia  says of it "... notable for an unusual thickness of Devensian Late-glacialorganic deposits."
There are pink lakes, usually caused by Algae in the water, but this isn't one of them.
Photos and google maps satellite view show it to have a lot of lily pads, but the water itself has a resolutely blue hue.  As goes for the smaller pond nearby,
Probably something like a water mask / water texturing issue (what ever it is that xPlane uses).
You should report it.

I stand corrected!!  These two areas are actually grassy meadows close to the lake. I've never seen vegetation so lurid as that in wales before though, unless they've swapped the horses in the field for a crop of tulips or something.
So it's not a water problem.  Perhaps a missing area of texturing instead?

Edited by DAVIDF4
I stand corrected
2 hours ago, DAVIDF4 said:

Seriously though, it looks like a bug.
The pink areas correspond to water bodies, the larger one being Llyn Gwernan (Gwernan Lake).
Wikipedia  says of it "... notable for an unusual thickness of Devensian Late-glacialorganic deposits."
There are pink lakes, usually caused by Algae in the water, but this isn't one of them.
Photos and google maps satellite view show it to have a lot of lily pads, but the water itself has a resolutely blue hue.  As goes for the smaller pond nearby,
Probably something like a water mask / water texturing issue (what ever it is that xPlane uses).
You should report it.

I stand corrected!!  These two areas are actually grassy meadows close to the lake. I've never seen vegetation so lurid as that in wales before though, unless they've swapped the horses in the field for a crop of tulips or something.
So it's not a water problem.  Perhaps a missing area of texturing instead?

2 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Your LUT has gone kaput :P.

Thank you both for your thoughts and assistance. Very much appreciated. I have now filed a bug report after some additional investigations.

It does appear that this may be a texturing issue. The bug report has more detail on what I found.

OND lut isn't gone "bluuey"  & "kaputo", thank goodness :):D

I was wondering about it though :rolleyes:

Below are two screenshots from my bug report - one with the LUT applied and one with it turned off (This is plain vanilla XPlane colour rendering as I only use the LUT for color control). The "pink" is subdued but still there.  But I really like "kaput" !!! I used to use it a lot when I was working -- a lot of the complex simulations my team did often resulted in more than  a few "kaputs" before we got it right :D

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Cheers!

R

Areas of "pink" ground textures - LUT Applied : Water body just below the right wing tip. Color appears to be rendering correctly 

4Q8mDFD.jpg

Same Screenshot - LUT turned off

bNCWyS0.jpg

• Like 1