Sign in to follow this  
Colin M

Potential serious memory probs with Nvidia RTX 20xx

Potential serious memory problems regarding Nvidia's new RTX 20xx cards is brewing up, had considered posting this here, but did not want to alarm current owners that have bought one or seem jealous or something silly because I had already written that my Titan X Pascal is so close to a 2080 Ti's performance it would have been pure madness for me to even contemplate this upgrade this time ... and I'm a serious PC upgrader.

Perhaps its fortuitous for many of us who were on the fence and were considering buying one of these that these cards that are still in limited supply, before long we will know if this is a bad memory batch problem affecting only a few cards or something more serious, but reading between the lines and as a hardware enthusiast, it sure looks like a storm is brewing and its definitely related to the cards memory.

I'd advise anyone considering buying to do some serious research on current RTX owners, not initial reviews on these cards, pretty sure most will be fine, but reading between the lines ... something is up and it needs to be addressed by Nvidia and honestly, they have cheated before with facts and figures, GTX 970 memory problem anyone? and the compensation they had to pay out by misleading owners.

This is where I first heard of the problem yesterday and its blown up very fast, these guys are insane graphic card enthusiasts, please don't dismiss them out of hand. I'm not an alarmist or sensationalist, but if there is something brewing and you were thinking of buying into the new RTX series it would be a good idea to do some deep research in the next week or so perhaps.

I sincerely hope this is all a storm in a teacup, but I honestly dont think so, something is up, lets just hope its not as widespread as some say it is and clarification comes soon, even if Nvidia have to recall some cards.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/2080ti-cards-failing.18835576/

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I was seriously thinking of upgrading but this put that on hold for a while..... Doug

I was reading the same thing yesterday, as I have been researching daily, because I have been getting closer to updating my system.  I have been hanging out for the release of the i9-9900k and the RTX2080ti (which occurred earlier).  Now I have found quite a few good pre-manufactured and customisable systems, but several times the site I have been looking at has changed the cards around and removed the 2080ti from the customisable  selection list.  I found what was pretty much the system I wanted, but it was a pre build, and only had a 512GB M2 SSD, but I wanted at least a 1GB for my system drive.  Now I am still looking at that system, but again they have changed the model of RTX2080ti, as they seem to do daily.  I have emailed a few times, and was informed the other day that the RTX 2080Tis are in very high demand and supply is limited, although they also said that they are getting fairly regular deliveries.  A look at their site shows 8 out of 10 of the RTX 2080ti models are sold out.

Hopefully with such regular turnover of the cards and the fact that the issue was known about around a month ago (the articles I was looking at were from late October) the cards released now should be at least less prone to failure.  Apparently a fix has already been implemented.  Another "positive" was that most failures occurred fairly quickly after installation, so if there is an issue, the user should know about it fairly quickly, and not 12 or 24 months down the line.

No issues with my Gigabyte 2080 Ti Windforce OC since I purchased it 5 weeks ago.

• Like 1

I am in the process of looking for a new computer for the New Year and looking at the RTX Graphic Cards, many thanks for pointing this out hopefully further news may come out in the near future so I can then decide.

Regards

Nigel.

Hi, did not want to alarm current owners of the new Nvidia RTX series cards ... if you have got this far on a day 1 2080Ti, chances are you will be fine ... for some reason the failure rate seems higher on the Ti's than the regular 2080's or even the 2070's ... furthermore .... it looks like (but not proven yet) early failure cards were with Micron memory, newer issues from Nvidia have Samsung memory ... you can check this in freeware GPUz software, please dont all go rushing to see if your card has Micron or Samsung memory, my slightly lower tech card of last gen Titan X (Pascal) 12 GB has Micron memory, but that's a different kettle of fish altogether.

What I will say is, the 20xx RTX series are an end of line node for Nvidia, they are switching to next gen smaller die for next year (21xx) these will be much cooler, more efficient and may or may not have RTX too ... RTX IMHO is a complete gimmick and will never take off, but that's just my opinion :) We certainly do not need RTX for any flight sims now or in the foreseeable future ... I highly doubt RTX is going to take off with anything .... but again, thats just my opinion.

The other thing that irks me as a PC performance hardware enthusiast is the stupidly insane prices of these RTX cards is just nutz, £1200 for a basic 2080Ti is crazy ... and more for an exotic one! Nvidia price gouging at its best!   when the mining fad happened Nvidia could not sell enough cards at silly way over the top prices ... now that the mining fad has stopped or slowed down, Nvidia still dont want to lower their profit margins ... big surprise there (NOT) There is no way I am buying into this late Nvidia gen node for a tiny performance gain over my current last gen Titan X (Pascal) if you absolutly must upgrade ... say from a much older graphic card tech, then maybe ... but for sure I'm not buying a 2080Ti or even the inevitable RTX Titan  they will milk us with - version and I've bought last 2 years gen Titans .... am sitting it out for next year now Graphic card wise.