Jump to content
John Venema

Correct order of Orbx TE GB entries in scenery_packs.ini

Recommended Posts

Thank you jjaycee1 and Fizzelle for your advice! I followed it and have attached my scenery_packs.ini file to this reply.

You can see in this file that I have rearranged the order of the lines of text from the portion of my ini file that I posted in my original post above

based my "understanding" of how I thought they needed to be in order to work, but I still have something incorrect as the Scenery does not appear when I fly from any of the airports included in the TE GB South scenery DEMO pack.

 

Also, when in the program if I select expansion packs, it will show the KPDX Portland International, as well as one other below that, a lua something, can't remember precisely what that line below said or how it read but thinking it had to do with library? I will have to write it down next time I bring that up in the program or take a screen shot if possible.

 

Thank you for your help everyone!!

 

 

scenery_packs.ini

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@McCloud9 Hi. Your ini looks fine except your entry for Needles should be above Global Airports. Orbx installation puts it below Global Airports for some reason.

Now as to why you are not seeing anything of the demo baffles me. I only have full versions of the TEGB series, you are saying that if you create a flight from EGHI Southampton, then you do not see the TEGB scenery but the default scenery? I also don't understand the option you state as "Expansion Packs" as I have never seen that. Is it something that comes with the demo?

All I can suggest at the moment is that maybe you try using FTX Central to Verify the TEGB South Demo files to see if you are missing anything.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

@McCloud9 Hi. Your ini looks fine except your entry for Needles should be above Global Airports. Orbx installation puts it below Global Airports for some reason.

Now as to why you are not seeing anything of the demo baffles me. I only have full versions of the TEGB series, you are saying that if you create a flight from EGHI Southampton, then you do not see the TEGB scenery but the default scenery? I also don't understand the option you state as "Expansion Packs" as I have never seen that. Is it something that comes with the demo?

All I can suggest at the moment is that maybe you try using FTX Central to Verify the TEGB South Demo files to see if you are missing anything.

 

Hi Jjaycee1 and thank you!  I really appreciate your taking the time to review my ini file!  I will make the change you stated and see what happens.  I will also verify files with FTX Central, I think I did once but will do again to make sure, its my first time using FTX. And yes, what i have tried since I know that demo scenery covers 4 airports within its area I always start from one of them, EGHI Southampton and I do not see TEGB scenery it just  likes like the generic stock scenery, certainly no better than that.  As for when I go into the menu after starting the game to see what is there under expansion packs (Im so new I've only seen others do this in youtube videos so I tried it to see if the Demo was there but its not) there is an expansion pack showing for the KPDX airport I downloaded that was created by MisterX6, and when I select that a pop up box comes up and within that it shows the KPDX add on and one other below it that I believe is the creators library. 

I'll have to do a screen shot.  I will go make the change to my ini file now and verify my files via FTX first and then see what happens and let you know, and again, thank you very much for your time and help Jjaycee1!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jjaycee1,  

I believe that did it!!! First I moved the line of text for the ini file referring to the Needles to above the line for Global Airports..

Next I loaded FTX Central and took some screen shots as I went through everything just so I'd know how it reads normally later, and it did 

say everything was installed and I verified my files, no issues.  So I loaded up the EGHI and I've been flying with overcast skys, so everything was more gray than usual so I need to turn that off, but I'm sure I saw a whole lot more POI, buildings, Ships, Queen Mary II, IKEA, farmers fields (almost landed in one but didn't think I'd get back off the ground) so, I need to get blue skys above me so I can see more! After flying I went to the FTX Central and clicked on the demo to see the photos and what I saw did not look quite as amazing but it could be because of the gray skies, my settings possible too.  

 

I really appreciate all of your help here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Set your weather to clear and choose July for your date. Then you'll get the blue skies for testing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm afraid I'm probably posting this in the wrong place as it's about the new TE Washington scenery.

If so I apologize and please redirect me.

I'm not seeing any scenery as nice as some of the screenshots that have been posted.

Load times are taking for ever and I dont see any reference to it under the addon tab in xplane.  I have a few other things that appear in the addon menu but I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to see.

I have attached my ini file and a screen shot of the Seattle area to show what I see and I think it's just stock scenery.

I have verified my files twice and see the folders for TE Washington in my x plane folders.  I'm not sure if it makes a difference that I got my program thru steam,  I should of known better.

 

I looked thru my ini file and see the references to TE Wa scenery...but something must be out of order?

Thank you in advance for any advice!  I hope everyone is enjoying their new scenery!!

Don

Cessna_310L - 2019-06-22 19.56.49.png

scenery_packs.ini

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@McCloud9  I have slightly revised your .ini to place KSEA Demo above Global Airports and the TE Washington files to allow the KSEA airport buildings etc to be visible.

The rest of the .ini looks fine so i am not sure I can help. Your pic is not a good example because it is over an industrial type area and the ground detail is not visible enough. You need to be in a slightly more vegetative area to see the land and you will immediately see a difference between default and orthophoto ground textures. If your installation is complete and you still think you are seeing default scenery, then Verify the TE Washington files via FTX Central. But first go to a more rural area and check out the ground details.

scenery_packs.ini

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

@McCloud9  I have slightly revised your .ini to place KSEA Demo above Global Airports and the TE Washington files to allow the KSEA airport buildings etc to be visible.

The rest of the .ini looks fine so i am not sure I can help. Your pic is not a good example because it is over an industrial type area and the ground detail is not visible enough. You need to be in a slightly more vegetative area to see the land and you will immediately see a difference between default and orthophoto ground textures. If your installation is complete and you still think you are seeing default scenery, then Verify the TE Washington files via FTX Central. But first go to a more rural area and check out the ground details.

scenery_packs.ini 1.4 kB · 1 download

-jjaycee1 Thanks again!  I'll try for a better example in the future and I will do more flights and look at my GPU setting's, but will verify my files first!   I'll see where that

takes me.  Thank you very  much for looking over my file! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too am wrestling through this Scenery placement  "thing"

I found the Rasmussen videos very useful and adopted his ideas-a,b,c, to z,zz,zzz etc for placing Scenery Files

It works! but if adopted for Orbx -FTX Central cannot see the Orbx entries.

I compromised and removed all prefixes from all Orbx files and let them fall where they may

Orbx appears to have a alphabetical system operating within its own scenery Files and they all went into the proper order

So far so good-initial flights OK

Ini file attatched

Best of both worlds?

xxd09

scenery_packs.ini

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only recently got back into the sim habit after nearly a decade and had no idea ordering scenery was a thing. Just assumed everything got taken care of during installation.

I've no idea how it works but I've attached my packs.ini on the off chance someone can tell me if it looks like it should do.

 

Cheers

 

 

scenery_packs.ini

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mander said:

Only recently got back into the sim habit after nearly a decade and had no idea ordering scenery was a thing. Just assumed everything got taken care of during installation.

I've no idea how it works but I've attached my packs.ini on the off chance someone can tell me if it looks like it should do.

 

Cheers

 

 

scenery_packs.ini 1.56 kB · 1 download

 

Put this line above Global Airports, as the Needles is classed as an airport (helipad) etc

 

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_EGLH_Needles/

 

I also put the Sydney Landmarks with the others as I have not noted any difference in use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, orbmoke said:

...I never got any low flying lanterns with my EGLC...

 

The flight of lanterns is over!

10.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2019 at 7:06 PM, Fizzelle said:

 

Put this line above Global Airports, as the Needles is classed as an airport (helipad) etc

 

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Orbx_A_EGLH_Needles/

 

I also put the Sydney Landmarks with the others as I have not noted any difference in use.

Hi

I've just updated TEGBSouth to v1.1.1 and FTXC3 moved Needles below Landmarks_London and

Landmarks New York, SYdney and Washington DC below Orbx_C_GB_South_TrueEarth_Orthosall ORBX_C

 

Cheers

Edited by gmazzei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every time I update TE, this time south something breaks.

EGSS London Stansted is broke :/

All the other south airports I've looked at are fine.

Baron_58 - 2019-08-02 16.30.43.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After understanding to us the new Orbx central, I decided to do a fresh XP11 install. 

If I understand things correct, by default you get the six Aerosoft airports, Aerosoft - Static Aircrafts, Global Airports, KSEA Demo Area, X-plane Landmarks and LOWI Demo Area.

I reinstalled my payware airports, freeware airports, SE_lib, MisterX_lib, SAM_lib, Airport Environment HD, Ortho4XP and Mesh.

Then I downloaded Orbx central and set it up so it installs all my *Orbx stuff in Orbx Library folder, from where it "symbolinked" all into my Custom Scenery folder. Nice!

Started up X-plane 11 and just quit. This is the scenery_packs.ini I got without any editing. Can you you please, just this once, give me the exact order for my scenery_packs.ini please.

*PS. I have a dedicated 2TB SSD for Orbx, so keep your great stuff coming :)

sp.txt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Smulle said:

After understanding to us the new Orbx central, I decided to do a fresh XP11 install. 

If I understand things correct, by default you get the six Aerosoft airports, Aerosoft - Static Aircrafts, Global Airports, KSEA Demo Area, X-plane Landmarks and LOWI Demo Area.

I reinstalled my payware airports, freeware airports, SE_lib, MisterX_lib, SAM_lib, Airport Environment HD, Ortho4XP and Mesh.

Then I downloaded Orbx central and set it up so it installs all my *Orbx stuff in Orbx Library folder, from where it "symbolinked" all into my Custom Scenery folder. Nice!

Started up X-plane 11 and just quit. This is the scenery_packs.ini I got without any editing. Can you you please, just this once, give me the exact order for my scenery_packs.ini please.

*PS. I have a dedicated 2TB SSD for Orbx, so keep your great stuff coming :)

sp.txt 11.7 kB · 1 download

Hi and welcome to the Orbx forums. You don't get Aerosoft-Static Aircrafts with the default XP, so that must have come from one of your Aerosoft addons. You do get the other one's you mentioned.

I will rework your scenery pack for you so make sure you keep a spare copy of it after you drop a copy into your Custom Scenery. One basic thing to remember and rearrange yourself it required is that several Obx addons like KVOU come with files labelled as A,B & C. It is best if they are grouped together in the SP.ini. The other basis rule of thumb is the layering should be as follows from top down:

3rd party airports and any associated additional files that are part of the Airport package ( as exampled with KVUO)

Global Airports

Obx TE addons (place London Landmarks just above the TE series if you have TEGB South)

Landmarks (the rest of them like Washington etc)

Scenery enhancement addons like sim heaven x-europe, San francisco cable cars and similar enhancements

Ortho4xp or any other ortho souced (Forkboy US) Overlays

Ortho files like you have placed correctly already

Global type mesh like HD and UHD by Aipilot

 

I have not moved the aerosoft mesh files for EDDM/EDDK/ENBR/ENGM/LIMJ because i don't have them personally but would ask you to move them yourself to underneath each relevant airport and test if there are any problems. Usually a mesh that comes with an airport only covers the airport boundary and therefore should have no impact at all on any other area, so logic assumes that the mesh file can sit just under the airport file in the SP.ini

 

sp.txt

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of things that confuses me in the Scenery_pack.ini you made for me.

Why isn’t the Orbx_EGCB_B_Barton_Overlay/ right below the Orbx_EGCB_A_Barton_Manchester_City/?

Why isn’t Orbx_B_LOWI_Overlay/, Orbx_C_LOWI_DrapedOrthos/ and Orbx_D_LOWI_Orthos/ right below Orbx_A_LOWI_LOJT/?

Why isn’t the Aerosoft - EGLL Heathrow/ among the other Aerosoft airports?

Why isn’t the a KMGM - Montgomery Regional Airport/ among my other freeware airports?

Also you advise here some posts above that Orbx_A_EGLH_Needles/ should be ABOVE Global Airports, but you put mine below.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Smulle said:

Couple of things that confuses me in the Scenery_pack.ini you made for me.

Why isn’t the Orbx_EGCB_B_Barton_Overlay/ right below the Orbx_EGCB_A_Barton_Manchester_City/?

Why isn’t Orbx_B_LOWI_Overlay/, Orbx_C_LOWI_DrapedOrthos/ and Orbx_D_LOWI_Orthos/ right below Orbx_A_LOWI_LOJT/?

Why isn’t the Aerosoft - EGLL Heathrow/ among the other Aerosoft airports?

Why isn’t the a KMGM - Montgomery Regional Airport/ among my other freeware airports?

Also you advise here some posts above that Orbx_A_EGLH_Needles/ should be ABOVE Global Airports, but you put mine below.

 

To answer your questions:

1. It should/could be below the EGCB_A_Barton_Manchester_City file, but doesn't have to be. The important aspect is that it is below EGCB_A_Barton_Manchester_City.

In fact it is a file that you can remove and save a bit of space, because it is not required if you have TEGB Central, which you do, because all the overlay details are duplicated in TEGB Central.

2.LOWI B/C/D are placed by me in the position that I regard as the correct one in the SP.ini. Orbx Central installs in sequence below the two LOWI_A files. They are classed as 3rd party airports and therefore go above Global Airports. LOWI package is unique in that it also has a very large extended Ortho and Overlay area which does NOT just pertain to LOWI airport. A normal airport addon would not have an Overlay file as the objects would be contained within the Airport folder. So in essence with Orbx LOWI you 3 scenarios. One being the Airport/Heliport LOWI A's, then you have the Innsbruck, lets call it cityscape, and then you have an extended Ortho/Overlay area covering a very large extended area, a mini TE Region if you like. So LOWI is actually a  3- in -one Addon. So to conclude, I have put the LOWI files where i consider them to be properly placed. Orbx central disagrees with me, but then it also disagrees with the correct placing of Needles !!

3. Aerosoft-EGLL placement with the other Aerosoft airports is irrelevant. As long as it is above Global Airports it is in it's correct place. You can certainly move it to be next to your other Aerosofts should you wish but it has no bearing on performance, but uniformity only.

4. KMGM is in the freeware airports: see the extract from the SP I sent you.

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Aerosoft - EGLL Heathrow/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/a KMGM - Montgomery Regional Airport/
SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/LOWI Demo Area/

5. Needles should be above Global Airports but every time Orbx central performs any significant function like adding a new scenery, it puts Needles below again. If you want to fly regularly to  Needles heli landing area then place it above. I have moved it above in the attached SP, but be aware, it likes to wander back below Global Airports:):)

 

Hope the above clarifies things for you.

sp.txt

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just so you know, I’m extremely great full. All seems to work fine. I sometimes get this error message, but I can’t see anything wrong with the loaded scenery. Once BIG THANK YOU!!!!

oregon error.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2018 at 6:16 PM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

it is indeed as simple as editing the scenery_packs.ini file which is just a text file.

Hi.... I direct my question to you,because you answer a lot of these posts here.....here is my question...I had very little problems with the FTX central installer,when I first started buying ORBX scenery for X plane 11.....now it is obvious to me,that ORBX central is the new standard and I am now using that to install  new scenery....first thing I noticed is ,that it seems to automatically write an Orbx backup ini.file in custom scenery, so now I have 2 ini files anytime I change something.why is this....could you shine a light on this? thank you

Edited by Bombachek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello - I just learned from various posts that TEGB Central needs to be below TEGB South.  But I haven't been able to find where TEGB North goes in relation to these two.  I've included my updated scenerypacks.ini file.  Have I got the correct order?  Also wondering if the SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/X-Plane Landmarks - London/ entry needs to be just above the TEGB South entries?  Thanks, Scott

scenery_packs.ini

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bombachek said:

 I noticed is ,that it seems to automatically write an Orbx backup ini.file in custom scenery, so now I have 2 ini files anytime I change something.why is this....could you shine a light on this? thank you

 

Hello,

 

I would imagine that the backup is there for the usual purpose of a backup,

to allow the restoration of the previous working file if anything goes wrong.

 

3 hours ago, sfreeby41163 said:

Hello - I just learned from various posts that TEGB Central needs to be below TEGB South.

 

Hello,

I don't believe that this is the case but I am ready to be corrected.

As I do not recognise many of the added scenery items at the bottom of

your ini file, I will not advise you where to move anything.

London Landmarks must be above TEGB South or they will not be seen.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

 

 

 

Hello,

I don't believe that this is the case but I am ready to be corrected.

As I do not recognise many of the added scenery items at the bottom of

your ini file, I will not advise you where to move anything.

London Landmarks must be above TEGB South or they will not be seen.

 

Hello Nick - Thank you for responding to my question.  I understand that the London Landmarks must be above TEGB South (thanks) but is there any specific order for the three regions?  That is to say... North on top, Central in the middle, South on bottom?  or South, Central, North?  or... it makes no difference?  Thanks, Scott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jon: Some work for you and a big thanks in advance for checking my scenery.ini. I dont think after all these installations it is correct

 

Rgds

Mark

scenery_packs.ini

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any thoughts on Thomas Rasmussen,s system for ordering scenery files in X-Plane by the use of prefixes ie “a “ for airports etc

Prefixes won’t work.with Orbx as FSX Central cannot see them for updates etc

Any compromises? Work arounds?

Is it a sensible system?

xxd09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I amplify my previous post 

I use prefixes ie “a” for airports to order scenery in XPlane 

Works well but not for Orbx because prefixes mean FTX Central cannot see the Orbx files properly 

In fact I use “a” for Orbx airports and “v” for mesh,orthos and everything else Orbx (Orbx own internal ordering system seems to place these files in the right order)

Everything stays in proper place and I can fly without worrying 

Not a satisfactory set up and I have to keep an eye for updates 

Any other way I could try-am I missing something?

xxd09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...