yorkfield

Hardware 2018

Hi everyone

I'd like to ask you what kind of a computer system you would recommend creating a whole new build?

Pretending you want to run Prepar3d V4 fully loaded with all Orbx can offer to date, REX, Active Sky and aircraft as PMDG 747-8

Was thinking about gettin a system with Intel i9 7900X CPU as it still seems to be the most important part...

Kind regards

Matt

Well I can tell  you that you need something pretty powerful . I wanted to migrate  to P3D v4   and had trouble from the start.  Eventually after a week or so I  had it running   but just  basics.  Then  trouble  started again  once I loaded  ORBX   global  & vector .  I could not load  any ORBX airports .    I had a few  take off  before the  computer crashed.  Loading  PMDG 737,  I crashed  the computer on the tarmac  So it comes  down to something  more powerful  and preferably tweaked /overclocked 

I good website as  suggested  by  some Members  of this forum will give you  start of the specs required 

http://jetlinesystems.com/

Cheers

Charles 

My setup is similar to Johnosts as you can see......runs at 32 frames per second everywhere.....including New York, Seattle and all the rest.

Edited by lawrence aldrich
correct typo

21 hours ago, johnost said:

My setup shown below runs P3Dv4.3 perfectly.

9 hours ago, lawrence aldrich said:

My setup is similar to Johnosts as you can see......runs at 32 frames per second everywhere.....including New York, Seattle and all the rest.

Because I had  so much trouble  with P3D v4 , it was suggested  by the admin  of that forum that  delete FSX  and only run  P3D  .What is  your opinion ? From what I see  many people  run both program successfully 

Charles 

Hi,

I have FSX, P3DV3 and P3DV4 installed, along with 6 other flight sims.  I don't think having multiple sims installed would have any bearing on your system other than taking up hard drive space.

FSX runs very well on my PC, as do P3DV3 and P3DV4.  I do not have the newest sytem, but it does pretty well.  As always I need to be careful with my settings, such as toning down autogen, shadows, and traffic when I fly airliners.  At some larger addon airports I do get low frames for a while (down to 10-15 FPS) when I am using complex airliners, but that is with multiple 3rd party products for weather, ground services, AI traffic etc all running, so that is to be expected.

P3DV4 is very heavy on the graphics card, so a graphics card with a large amount of VRAM is recommended.

Where my system does struggle with P3DV4 is with my graphics card and my RAM.

My PC specs are in my signature.

Cheers,

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, YAMBA1 said:

Because I had  so much trouble  with P3D v4 , it was suggested  by the admin  of that forum that  delete FSX  and only run  P3D  .What is  your opinion ? From what I see  many people  run both program successfully 

Charles 

Only one is running at a time, so I can't imagine any conflict. At one time I had FSX, p3dv4 and Xplane all on one drive  without any conflict.

I dumped xplane simply because I didn't care for it .

So that tells me your p3d problems have another source.

Find it and you will get both fsx and p3d happily co-existing.

10 hours ago, lawrence aldrich said:

So that tells me your p3d problems have another source.

Find it and you will get both fsx and p3d happily co-existing.

That what  I thought  FSX  is not  a problem  although  I never intend  to  have both  running simultaneously . Looking at your Specs Lawrence  I think a my G card upgrade is overdue 

17 hours ago, Scott Harmes said:

Where my system does struggle with P3DV4 is with my graphics card and my RAM.

And yet  your card is marginally better than mine 

Thank you both   for your input 

Regards

Charles 

In my opinion, your card is OK....I would upgrade to the 8700k, which happily overclocks to 4.8.

With my 8700K I was running a Nividia 1060 with 3GB of ram quite well.

The overclocked 8700K is what does the trick.

Just my 2cents worth.

2 hours ago, lawrence aldrich said:

In my opinion, your card is OK....I would upgrade to the 8700k, which happily overclocks to 4.8.

With my 8700K I was running a Nividia 1060 with 3GB of ram quite well.

The overclocked 8700K is what does the trick.

Just my 2cents worth.

Thank you  for the advice I may follow  up rather than investing into a complete new computer 

Thanks again

On 10/16/2018 at 9:18 AM, lawrence aldrich said:

Good plan....you can  build your own just as well as anyone else.

Not that much mystery about it.

My p3d really likes the 8700k......

I second this, my 8700K loves P3DV4. OC to 4.7 and with most everything full right, including dynamic lighting, I'm getting smooth everywhere at 40+.

Edited by gsand