macca22au

The Norwegian Epic.....continued

Musketeer, I wanted to sight-see a bit so I cheated on the weather.

Troubled by conscience, I did the flight again and here is the Vaernes weather....typically soggy and autumnal.

gnH7ctg.jpg

• Like 1

:lol: yeah, if the weather in the sim is anything to go by, it's a pretty grey part of the world!

Nice livery by the way - very authentic for the region. I'd never heard of Wideroe, but I've seen them parked at almost every airport I've been to in Norway so far.

Apparently Wideroe is subsidised by government to provide "public good" transport to many of the remote and very remote settlements throughout the country. Even close to Oslo access can be very difficult by road, and air in many ways is the only way to go, unless coastal by ship, the old but still important way..

I hasten to say Norway has an impressive rail network, which in another time I would haved liked to explore.  Given the nature of the landscape getting lines into Stavanger, Bergan, Trondheim and southern settlements is a mighty feat.

Edited by macca22au

Interesting. Flying over it in the sim, I can see how it would be a massive challenge connecting a landscape with so many islands, waterways and mountains.

We'll have the chance to spend a week there in December. We're going to a wedding in Europe and this is more of a short side trip than a thorough tour around Norway, but would love to go back and explore properly one day. Even so, I'm really looking forward to our Dec visit as I've never been there before. We'll get to see Oslo and Tromso - probably not the best time of the year to be going north of the arctic circle but anyway..... 

Unfortunately won't be flying anything as exotic as Wideroe, just old SAS :)