Hello all,

I have been out of the flight sim scene for awhile having had to move and working all the time and sold all my fs gear down to the last interface :( but I am back. I recently wanted to upgrade my PC before anything and had limited funds and after much debate and research I decided my best option was a new Graphics Card and an SSD for my OS. I also discovered after many years that my PC had 16GB of Ram when for years I thought it had only 8GB of ram and since I bought it online and it was advertised as 8GB ram I never thought to inspect the ram but did want to increase it. while I was pulling out my old 560 Ti Graphics Card I pulled the ram and did some research on it I thought it was 2x4GB when in fact it was 2x8GB it just wasn't inserted in the correct places A1 B1 but was in A1 A2 which didn't show up the second stick of ram. 

Ah so much better. My original thought was to upgrade completely the motherboard and cpu and ram to DDR4 as I currently have DDR3 ram but this wasn't going to leave me enough for a new Graphics card so after online comparing of GPU's CPU's Motherboards ETC I found I could get a great improvement with just 2 things - The GPU (Graphics Card) and SSD drive. So what did I get? Well I got a 250 GB SSD mostly for OS at this time and a GTX 1070Ti (Hall Of Fame Limited Edition). now my CPU is 4th Gen Intel i7-4770 and ram is Corsair Vengence Pro 16GB. 

I still only have Prepared3D 3.1 but I just reinstalled it and as base no other installs yet frame rates massive improvement and even with scenery sliders pushed up some I am very impressed. So if your PC is alittle old it still can be good just do your homework first it might still be worthwhile. :)

So my questions are now that I have begun reinstalling what order should I install my scenery stuff again.

Thank You again,

Colin 

• Like 1

Colin, I suggest you first load P3D v 4.3 then load all your scenery into that.

No more OOMs.

Cheers

Ken

44 minutes ago, flyguy737 said:

OOMs? sorry I'm not sure what you mean?

An OOM (Out Of Memory) error is what happens when the kernel runs out of memory in its own internal pools and is unable to reclaim memory from any other sources. It basically starts killing random processes, and spits a lot of logging into dmesg.

BTW - Welcome back mate !! .

Cheers

John

Hey, welcome back !

+1 for upgrading to P3Dv4 if most of your favorites addons are compatibles.

Mike

5 hours ago, BradB said:

An OOM (Out Of Memory) error is what happens when the kernel runs out of memory in its own internal pools and is unable to reclaim memory from any other sources. It basically starts killing random processes, and spits a lot of logging into dmesg.

BTW - Welcome back mate !! .

Cheers

John

ah got ya thanks John and yes I guess no more OOMs lol

4 hours ago, Mikelab6 said:

Hey, welcome back !

+1 for upgrading to P3Dv4 if most of your favorites addons are compatibles.

Mike

Thanks Mike but here is the next issue I can't seem to find my old downloads I bought on FFS store website I emailed and I am waiting so am I to understand I will need to not only purchase P3Dv4 but all my airports all over again?

Colin

You don't need to buy them over again to use them in V4, but you do need to transfer them to Orbx Direct so that you can download them using FTX Central:

Then you need to opt into Fastlane to use the airports in P3D v4:

https://support.orbxdirect.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000167255-What-is-Fastlane

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:19 PM, BradB said:

Translation -- it's that aggravating thing that happens to FSX flyers, and it's why they cannot have nice things.

• Haha 2

Welcome back!! I would definitely have to agree with Ken. 4.3 is the way to go!!

Gary

If frame rates is ever an issue Colin, try AfS2.  It may not have been around last time you were on.

Regards,

Jim