ironcondor

active 1M/60CM Texture Resolution and 5 Meter Mesh Resolution

Hello everyone. Not sure if this is the right sub forum but I have several questions. I built a new machine. 16 core threadripper 1950x, 32GB of Ram, GTX1080, water cooled, etc. I can basically max out or be at least 80 % of full settings. However, on one particular aircraft I cannot. And that is the the FSLabs A-320-X. One thing I learned was that when I scale back from 7CM to 30CM to 60CM and eventually 1M texture resolution the FPS jumps up and most importantly for me the smoothness of the sim balances out. I noticed the stutters get shorter and shorter and eventually almost gone at 1M resolution. Mesh resolution at 5M and scaling that back doesn't change anything. 

I have ORBX everything basically and I would like to learn more about what I lose when I go higher in texture resolution. Yes, I have read many threads, articles, etc but can't find any data on the major differences. This is obviously high altitude flights and when I do GA the almost max settings work fine with the GA aircraft. 

Now reading through the ORBX manuals the settings recommended vary but using KEGE for example it says 30Cm and 1M resolution scenery. So the question is if I set for the other aircraft I fly 30cm resolution and 1M for the A320X will that be sufficient to enjoy the visuals of the airports and ORBX scenery? 

Thanks for reading and your input!

Hi ironcondor,

the 1-m setting for texture resolution won't have much impact during a flight. For one, the resolution of all landclass ground textures is fixed at 1.2m per pixel so you're not losing any sharpness with those. Moreover, any ground textures that actually use the higher resolutions up to 7cm - some photoreal coverage and all of the vector textures, like roads, railroads, and shorelines - will have switched to lower-resolution LODs (mipmaps) as soon as you are a few hundred feet off the ground anyway. Few people realize how quickly high-resolution textures drop to lower LODs with increasing distance from the user aircraft: at level flight, 1000ft off the ground, the highest LOD anyone will ever see out of the front windshield is 1.2m, regardless of slider settings. One has to look out of the side window, pretty much straight down, to see parts of a 60-cm LOD. 

Obviously, when you're on or very close to the ground the high-resolution textures will all be displayed at 1.2m, if the texture resolution slider is set to 1m, and thus quite blurry. If that's not an issue for you then it's no problem to keep the slider at that setting.

I'm surprised that higher texture resolution settings seem to have such a performance impact for you because the sim is usually pretty efficient with loading and dropping texture LODs. Perhaps you have some antivirus or malware scanner active that checks all file access operations and thus causes stutters?

Cheers, Holger  

• Like 1

Hello Holger,

Thank you very much for the response. I was a bit confused on the mesh resolutions stated in the ORBX product pages. For example, yesterday I purchased FTX Central Rockies and it states 10M mesh resolution. Does this coincide with the mesh resolutions settings in P3DV4.3? I have noticed almost no frame rate impact when I slide the mesh resolution settings. However, I do notice substantial fps and smoothness (especially stutters) issues  when I have the texture resolution lower like 60cm, 30cm, 15cm, etc. When I go to 1 meter texture resolution the sim smooths out. 

Then I purchased KJAC and KBZN . KBZN stated 30CM/1M Photoreal area. Does this mean 30CM for texture resolution and 1M for mesh resolution in  the sim settings? And then KJAC states 7cm airport and approach and 1 meter greater Jackson hole and teton range.  Does this mean 7CM for the texture resolutions setting and 1 meter for the mesh setting?  I am a bit confused on how to set the proper settings to enjoy these beautiful sceneries from ORBX. I would like to maximize my P3D settings to take advantage of ORBX.

I also turn off the Windows Real Time Protection (Anti-Virus) prior to launching the sim. 

I also cannot coincide in the ORBX manuals the older FSX settings for LOR and High Resolution textures check box?

Thank you for you input. 

Edited by ironcondor

Hello,

the CRM mesh recommendation is 5m, as you will see in the user guide.

30CM/1M Photoreal area

Does this mean 30CM for texture resolution and 1M for mesh resolution in  the sim settings

No, that is the texture resolution. 

There is no substantial difference between the P3D and FSX settings guide.

It is just a guide and if, as you say, you find that your chosen settings work better for you, use them instead.

Quick Reference Simulator Settings 
The table below lists in a handy reference the minimum recommended settings required in your simulator to enjoy CRM the way Orbx designed it. These settings will run well on most PCs and take particular advantage of the custom mesh and photoreal imagery used in the scenery area. 
If you use the settings below you will be guaranteed the highest fidelity experience and the best balanced performance. 
Setting Value Why? 
Level of detail radius Large Reduces blurring of textures.                                         P3D v4 Ultra
Global texture resolution Max Displays photoreal textures best.                             P3D v4 N/A
Mesh complexity 100 Better terrain definition.                                                            P3D v4 N/A
Mesh resolution 5m 5 m is required for CRM                                                              P3D v4 Mesh resolution 5m
Texture resolution 7 cm Sharpest roads and freeways.                                             P3D v4 Texture resolution 7 cm
Scenery complexity Extremely Dense How Orbx designed FTX CRM.                     P3D v4 Scenery complexity Extremely Dense
Autogen density Normal Best FPS vs detail.                                                                P3D v4 Autogen vegetation density Normal Autogen building density Normal 
GA AI traffic 16-50% Recommended for this scenery.                                                P3D v4 GA AI traffic 16-50%
Road vehicle traffic 16% No need to set higher for                                                     P3D v4 Road vehicle traffic 16%

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

46 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Quick Reference Simulator Settings 
The table below lists in a handy reference the minimum recommended settings required in your simulator to enjoy CRM the way Orbx designed it. These settings will run well on most PCs and take particular advantage of the custom mesh and photoreal imagery used in the scenery area. 
If you use the settings below you will be guaranteed the highest fidelity experience and the best balanced performance. 
Setting Value Why? 
Level of detail radius Large Reduces blurring of textures.                                         P3D v4 Ultra
Global texture resolution Max Displays photoreal textures best.                             P3D v4 N/A
Mesh complexity 100 Better terrain definition.                                                            P3D v4 N/A
Mesh resolution 5m 5 m is required for CRM                                                              P3D v4 Mesh resolution 5m
Texture resolution 7 cm Sharpest roads and freeways.                                             P3D v4 Texture resolution 7 cm
Scenery complexity Extremely Dense How Orbx designed FTX CRM.                     P3D v4 Scenery complexity Extremely Dense
Autogen density Normal Best FPS vs detail.                                                                P3D v4 Autogen vegetation density Normal Autogen building density Normal 
GA AI traffic 16-50% Recommended for this scenery.                                                P3D v4 GA AI traffic 16-50%
Road vehicle traffic 16% No need to set higher for                                                     P3D v4 Road vehicle traffic 16% 

Hi Nick

What about the Tessellation factor value for P3D v4.3?

In none of ORBX manuals this factor/value is mentioned..

What would be the most recommended for P3D v4.3?

Thank you

Carlos