I've read the announcement that Turbulent Design is going to market their products through the Orbx platform. While taking a quick glance at their homepage I saw that in fact they made the Terra Flora global tree replacement addon.

Considering that Orbx has Trees HD, and Turbulent has Terra Flora, what's going to happen now? Can we pick one, or do they get merged, or does one of them cease to be sold? Any thoughts?

Well they merge in the sense that you can use both and have each product "fill in the gaps" of the other. But when the scenery calls a specific tree type that's available in both packages, you only get one or the other.

Hi

If Terra Flora is used it only covers areas without specially placed flora the same as Rex HD airport buildings. So if you are using Orbx Australia for example that has its own trees from Orbx you will see them. There are quite a few examples in Utube that show this already. Whateveris decided you will have the best of both programes.

Ken

• Thanks 1

Both Terra Flora and Trees HD are global vegetation replacements. I'm not talking of trees that come with regions or with airports. There's no possibility to have Trees HD and TF running both at the same time on the same sim AFAIK.

15 hours ago, ftxpolo said:

Both merged perfectly already. No issues.

Who merged them and what do you mean?

“ .....TerraFlora will quite happily install and run alongside Orbx's product. Any textures that are specific to a 3rd parties product (such as those included with an airport or specific to a region product) will remain intact.”

Greg Jones

Turbulent Designs

1 hour ago, Captain Lars said:

There's no possibility to have Trees HD and TF running both at the same time on the same time.....

FAQ TERRAFLORA FORUMS

https://www.turbulentdesigns.co.uk/forum/topic/195-faq-terraflora/

Edited by ftxpolo

1 hour ago, ftxpolo said:

“ .....TerraFlora will quite happily install and run alongside Orbx's product. Any textures that are specific to a 3rd parties product (such as those included with an airport or specific to a region product) will remain intact.”

Greg Jones

Turbulent Designs

FAQ TERRAFLORA FORUMS

https://www.turbulentdesigns.co.uk/forum/topic/195-faq-terraflora/

OK, so I understand that Orbx Trees HD are still useful to enhance the Orbx specific regions / airports. Thanks for the clarification. And on the other hand, would it make any sense to buy Terra Flora when you already have Trees HD installed?

Still, I understand that in principle, these two addons both serve the same end, i. e., to deliver a global vegetation replacement. Forgive me that this is somewhat puzzling me.

1 hour ago, Captain Lars said:

Still, I understand that in principle, these two addons both serve the same end, i. e., to deliver a global vegetation replacement. Forgive me that this is somewhat puzzling me.

Good Point

"The short version is that, assuming you have Orbx trees installed when you install Terraflora then 95% of vegetation will be updated to TF. We cannot update third party content and so it is left intact to ensure full compatibility."

Greg Jones TD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AFAIK Orbx Trees HD is just a texture replacement of the default tree textures. So if TerraFlora replaces the default trees (if ithese are nstalled) it will replace Orbx Trees HD textures (if those are installed). So no merging of TerraFlora with Orbx Trees HD.

Edited by wolfko
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, wolfko said:

AFAIK Orbx Trees HD is just a texture replacement of the default tree textures. So if TerraFlora replaces the default trees (if ithese are nstalled) it will replace Orbx Trees HD textures (if those are installed). So no merging of TerraFlora with Orbx Trees HD.

"The new textures are double the resolution of default trees, resulting in greater detail, and are derived from high-resolution photos of real trees for maximum realism. They have been hand-edited and color-matched to give you the top-quality flight sim experience that you have come to expect from ORBX. New optimized tree models reduce the burden on your system when flying over most dense-tree areas, with a negligible change in VAS compared to what you are experiencing now." Source: https://orbxdirect.com/product/ftxtreeshd

As I understand it, this text indicates that it's also the models, not only the textures. Perhaps the developer @Scott Armstrong can say something about what Trees HD are actually and their "relationship" with Terra Flora.

TerraFlora and Orbx Trees HD replace the exact same global tree textures, so they are not mutually compatible.

Orbx Trees HD are also double the resolution of default Trees and also use optimised models; we were in fact the first to do so by some years.

So it comes down to which tree textures you prefer in terms of colour and art style. Orbx Trees HD are specifically designed for Orbx global and region products so they will naturally be a better match to the overall Orbx colour palette.

Orbx will not be selling TerraFlora on OrbxDirect as it’s a directly competing product to ours.

I hope this clears up any possible confusion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, John Venema said:

TerraFlora and Orbx Trees HD replace the exact same global tree textures, so they are not mutually compatible.

Orbx Trees HD are also double the resolution of default Trees and also use optimised models; we were in fact the first to do so by some years.

So it comes down to which tree textures you prefer in terms of colour and art style. Orbx Trees HD are specifically designed for Orbx global and region products so they will naturally be a better match to the overall Orbx colour palette.

Orbx will not be selling TerraFlora on OrbxDirect as it’s a directly competing product to ours.

I hope this clears up any possible confusion.

That was exactly what I thought, that they are in principle competing products. Thank you JV for the clarification.

• Like 2

Well, reading John's statement I thought I understood but now I found this, a statement by "Turbulent" and I'm confused again:

- Posting by Admin Greg Jones:

https://www.turbulentdesigns.co.uk/forum/topic/828-terraflora-trees-hd/

Terraflora only replaces the textures of the default tree types (of which there are many!). HD trees also replaces Orbx's own custom trees not covered by TerraFlora.

So with TF and HD Trees installed, you'll have TF across 99.9% of the planet with the remainder covered by Orbx in some parts of their regions and airports.

Greg

Hi Dieter,

neither Trees HD nor TerraFlora place any trees themselves they just replace the textures and models of the default autogen trees. Trees HD does it by swapping out the default tree library and textures while TerraFlora deactivates the default library and activates the replacement library and textures in a separate scenery folder. In short, the method is different but the result to the user is the same.

Some Orbx global and regional products also place tree models from custom libraries of our own, given that the default set is quite limited in terms of tree types/species. If Trees HD isn't installed then those additional trees will use their original Orbx standard-resolution textures; with Trees HD installed they display HD textures. 

Thus, as mentioned above, with both TerraFlora and TreesHD installed all default trees will use TerraFlora models & textures while custom Orbx models, often mixed with the default models, will show Orbx HD textures.

Not sure about the "99.9% of the planet" claim of Greg's as we use those additional tree models quite a bit, especially with the more recent Orbx products, like Northern and Southern California, the European regions, New Zealand, etc. In other words, the default/custom ratio of autogen trees depends on where you're flying and which of those products are installed.

Cheers, Holger

• Like 1

Hi I have a question

I only have Orbx tress but it happens that during fall, you see fall trees in countries where these trees don't exist, for example, Central America. We don't have orange, red or yellow trees here.

Does this happen also if using Terra Flora instead? Because the default trees don't show as Fall trees during this season in CA...

I have the impression this happens due to CA is part of NA in Orbx regions, am I right?  and so the seasons change affect the related countries with non-accurate vegetation, though it looks beautiful :D it is not realistic.

Thank you in advance for clarifying

Regards,

Carlos

1 hour ago, carlosqr said:

Hi I have a question

I only have Orbx tress but it happens that during fall, you see fall trees in countries where these trees don't exist, for example, Central America. We don't have orange, red or yellow trees here.

Does this happen also if using Terra Flora instead? Because the default trees don't show as Fall trees during this season in CA...

I have the impression this happens due to CA is part of NA in Orbx regions, am I right?  and so the seasons change affect the related countries with non-accurate vegetation, though it looks beautiful :D it is not realistic.

Thank you in advance for clarifying

Regards,

Carlos

This happens because the seasons scenery file for FSX/P3D includes a Fall season for this area.  The way to fix this is either modify the seasons scenery for this area, or have custom Fall textures specifically for this area which do not use the Fall trees.

There is actually a custom seasons file that some guy made for Haiti which sets Summer as the season for the entire year which fixes this issue there.

Dave

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2018 at 9:15 PM, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi Dieter,

neither Trees HD nor TerraFlora place any trees themselves they just replace the textures and models of the default autogen trees. Trees HD does it by swapping out the default tree library and textures while TerraFlora deactivates the default library and activates the replacement library and textures in a separate scenery folder. In short, the method is different but the result to the user is the same.

Some Orbx global and regional products also place tree models from custom libraries of our own, given that the default set is quite limited in terms of tree types/species. If Trees HD isn't installed then those additional trees will use their original Orbx standard-resolution textures; with Trees HD installed they display HD textures. 

Thus, as mentioned above, with both TerraFlora and TreesHD installed all default trees will use TerraFlora models & textures while custom Orbx models, often mixed with the default models, will show Orbx HD textures.

Not sure about the "99.9% of the planet" claim of Greg's as we use those additional tree models quite a bit, especially with the more recent Orbx products, like Northern and Southern California, the European regions, New Zealand, etc. In other words, the default/custom ratio of autogen trees depends on where you're flying and which of those products are installed.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks Holger for that far more eloquent explanation than I could muster!

Yes, you're quite right - my 99.9% was perhaps a bit overstated but nevertheless, it's a pretty big number!

Cheers,

Greg