Orbxtreme

Fire in the hole!

This is a perfect day for the crew of the Air New Zealand MD-11. That is until…

2000AirNewZealandhighaltitude.jpg

… a fire starts in engine number 2. A suitable alternate airport is now required.

2001engine2fireMD-11.jpg

But first, the crew has to extinguish the fire…

2002extinguishingfireinnumber2engine.jpg

And also cut the fuel in the number 2 engine.

2003Cuttingfuelinnumber2engineMD-11.jpg

The closest suitable airport is Port Moresby International (AYPY). A quick right turn and the MD-11 heads to its new destination.

2004divertingtoPortMoresbyIntlairport.jp

Gear down and 50 degree flaps. This landing will be a no brainer.

2005MD-11fullflapsonapchAYPY.jpg

A bit more thrust than usual for the remaining engines is all that is required. The weather is lovely today.

2006MD-11gearoutonapchAYPY.jpg

2007shortfinalAYPY.jpg

2009MD-11touchingdown.jpg

2010MD-11withtrees.jpg

It is impossible to use the thrust reverser on engine number 2 (in the tail). Normal breaking and the use of the two remaining thrust reversers are plenty for the MD-11.

2011MD-11withoutengine2reverser.jpg

Welcome to Port Moresby international airport!

2012verticalviewMD-11PortMoresby.jpg

2013MD-11parkedwithtrees.jpg

The crew will have to wait for another Air New Zealand aircraft to take on the passengers before they are authorized ( or not) by the company to take-off empty with the two remaining engines and head to New Zealand.   

2014MD-11parkedviewofairport.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Okay, super cool thread! Nice handling of the in-flight emergency combined with some wonderful screenshots! You got some great angles in these captures, such as the shot through the trees as you are landing, the shot of the aircraft's back end as you arrived at the gate...lots of good ones here!

Thanks Sniper, glad you liked. I learned that the company Rotate is now working on a new MD-11 for X-Plane. For those who are interested in the aircraft, it should be ready possibly by the end of 2019. Their site (rotatesim.com) has already some nice pictures posted.

Astonishing shots and post Francois , and like Ken said some of the best AYPY shots ever . :):)

Cheers

John

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That was excellent and thrilling François!  I loved working these jets, they have one of the nicest glass cockpits.

I had forgotten Jack that Delta had MD-11s but I can remember seeing my first one at Don Meuang on the 28th of May 1992.:lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

I had forgotten Jack that Delta had MD-11s but I can remember seeing my first one at Don Meuang on the 28th of May 1992.:lol:

FedEx has all of them now.  But they were huge, really huge.  I remember working inside the #2 engine one night, it was cold out, and it was a long way down.  But that intake was enormous, you could practically fit my house in it!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Dramatic vintage shots mate

Thanks, glad you liked!

14 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Good luck Francois, as...

1) ... it was a middle engine out and

2) ... an Orbx airport was nearby!

There are new ICAO rules are applicable to aircrafts and pilot. They are:

1) Under no circumstances shall an aircraft have an engine failure other than on number 2 engine.

2) For an emergency to occur, there must be an Orbx airport nearby. If the pilot lands at something else than an Orbx airport, than an aviation occurence report should be filed.

14 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

Great post, and some of the best AYPY captures I’ve seen, along with some nice flying

Thanks Ken, I am happy that you liked. The MD-11 and AYPY fit very well together.

14 hours ago, BradB said:

Astonishing shots and post Francois , and like Ken said some of the best AYPY shots ever . :):)

Cheers

John

Thanks John, every time I fly in that region I am always surprised by the quality of the scenery available and the flying exercises that can be invented with all the beautiful dense vegetation all around.

13 hours ago, lifejogger said:

Well that was exciting.  Super shots and your clouds look great.

Thanks John, I have to edit the clouds a bit so they look natural otherwise my system would not produce something worth looking.

12 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That was excellent and thrilling François!  I loved working these jets, they have one of the nicest glass cockpits.

I thought you meant in flight sim but I realized you have real experience on MD-11s. Now that is great!!:)

10 hours ago, Mikelab6 said:

Great set and story ! Thanks for sharing !

Mike

Thank you sir, glad you liked. I guess that from my house to yours in the MD-11 would be a really short ride!

9 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Wonderful story and you handled the emergency with ease.

The MD-11 looks great in ANZ colours.:)

Thanks, I like this vintage Air New Zealand livery!

9 hours ago, adambar said:

Great job bringing that baby in under those conditions Francois, super shots as well! :)

Thanks Adam, much appreciated!

7 hours ago, mikee said:

Super Shots , I like them all ! Nice Landing :)

Thanks Mikee. Glad you liked! Papua New Guinea has so many challenges available for anyone looking for a bit of action.

6 hours ago, paulb said:

Excellent Francois! I like it! :) A great mix of narrative and shots.

2 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

FedEx has all of them now.  But they were huge, really huge.  I remember working inside the #2 engine one night, it was cold out, and it was a long way down.  But that intake was enormous, you could practically fit my house in it!

Sorry Jack, had I known that you worked in the number 2 engine, I would have had the number 1 or 3 fail, not the number 2. I did not want to give you a bad reputation!^_^

• Like 3

6 hours ago, paulb said:

Excellent Francois! I like it! :) A great mix of narrative and shots.

Thank you very much Paul, glad you liked!

5 hours ago, Orbxtreme said:

There are new ICAO rules are applicable to aircrafts and pilot. They are:

1) Under no circumstances shall an aircraft have an engine failure other than on number 2 engine.

2) For an emergency to occur, there must be an Orbx airport nearby. If the pilot lands at something else than an Orbx airport, than an aviation occurence report should be filed.

:D Totally agree to both rules! And I think JV will also be fine with #2...!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caleb1 said:

Nice shots and well flown Orbxtreme!

Thanks caleb1, glad you liked!

3 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

Great report on procedures guided with fine screen caps. Well done!

Thank you kindly sir, I appreciate!

2 hours ago, Stillwater said:

:D Totally agree to both rules! And I think JV will also be fine with #2...!

To be really honest, I could have shut down two engines out of 3 and make it to the runway with this beast. A L-1011 captain told me that when they lose an engine, they get down to about 22,000 feet and continue the flight to the destination. If they lose a second one, they get down to 8000 feet and look for a suitable airport, not because they are panicking but because when you lose 2 engines on a single flight, chances are that you are going to lose the third one soon for the same reason!! As for JV, I am sure he does not care about the fact that I now have multiple new enemies (the ones that are not producing Orbx airports) !!! ^_^

• Haha 1

To be really honest, I could have shut down two engines out of 3 and make it to the runway with this beast. A L-1011 captain told me that when they lose an engine, they get down to about 22,000 feet and continue the flight to the destination. If they lose a second one, they get down to 8000 feet and look for a suitable airport, not because they are panicking but because when you lose 2 engines on a single flight, chances are that you are going to lose the third one soon for the same reason!! As for JV, I am sure he does not care about the fact that I now have multiple new enemies (the ones that are not producing Orbx airports) !!! [emoji5]

Interesting. That is some good information. I did not know that.

great shots in a very pleasant and instructive story indeed ... and the new destination was not the worse one with palm trees & beautiful beach around ... and the kokoda treck if the crew has to wait for the repairs ...B)

11 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Smashing set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain, glad you liked it!

2 hours ago, jean marc said:

great shots in a very pleasant and instructive story indeed ... and the new destination was not the worse one with palm trees & beautiful beach around ... and the kokoda treck if the crew has to wait for the repairs ...B)

Thanks, you are right about the Kokoda Trail, such challenges await even the most experienced flight simmer there! I guess you just gave me an idea!

• Like 1