Very nice shots Ian and that scenery looks fantastic and looks good for low and slow. In the third shot is that some sort of swing bridge plus I take it the ships with the wake are static ?. Really looking forward to the new scenery. Derek.

49 minutes ago, Dadtom65 said:

Very nice shots Ian and that scenery looks fantastic and looks good for low and slow. In the third shot is that some sort of swing bridge plus I take it the ships with the wake are static ?. Really looking forward to the new scenery. Derek.

It is not a bridge, it is called the Maeslantkering. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maeslantkering.

Kind regards, Henk

• Thanks 1

That is enormous. Thank you. Can not wait to use the scenery and the rest of it as well. What with England being first for Xplane, it’s going to be a hard choice where to fly each day. Derek. 

8 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Derek,

yes, the ships are static and yes, they are part of the product.

I like that the ships are no more polygon-chunks but look very real. The ships move very slow in the ports hence is fine if they are only static and not moving. You would not notice the speed from an altitude.

8 hours ago, Ewout van Linge said:

Very beautiful. Only screenshot 7 is The Hague (Zuiderpark) not Rotterdam.

Hi Ewout,

I don't think so.

Picture #7 is the "Kralingse Plas" and you are looking in SE direction.

Far right in the distance you can see the oil raffineries of Pernis.

Or did you miscount and mean a different picture?

Cheers Fred

21 hours ago, Ewout van Linge said:

Very beautiful. Only screenshot 7 is The Hague (Zuiderpark) not Rotterdam.

Sorry for that Ewout my mistake I have removed the shot.

12 hours ago, Sundancer said:

Hi Ewout,

I don't think so.

Picture #7 is the "Kralingse Plas" and you are looking in SE direction.

Far right in the distance you can see the oil raffineries of Pernis.

Or did you miscount and mean a different picture?

Cheers Fred

Sorry Fred as explained above I made a mistake with shot 7 and have removed it.

cheers 

Iain 

• Thanks 1

I absolutely love what I am seeing so far, ground breaking! I’ve got one point of critique if I may (and may seem small but being from Rotterdam it’s a big one for me ;-)) - one of the highlights of the city is the Wilhelminapier which you see in picture one. This has been developed much in recent years and is much fuller than in picture 1. Especially the big building called “the Rotterdam” is one of the eye catchers of the city now. See a photo below I took from the south side - only the two buildings on the very left are now included.

Can’t wait for this to be released! 

72D17E20-862A-4BAC-933A-7F7AF522C2B8.jpeg

Stunning stuff so far, really looking forward to this one! One thing I'm wondering about though: how old is the data that you use for the buildings and textures? Living in Rotterdam myself, like Alexander in the post above, I do notice some stuff is missing. I can imagine it's hard to keep up with that kind of stuff and I hate to be negative at previews, but I'm just wondering about the age of the data.

Take for example the logo ABN Amro bank on top of the Euromast. It was changed to Rabobank late 2009. Makes me wonder about the other buildings, because a lot has changed in the mean time: think about the Markthal near Blaak area, the new Central Station with its iconic shape, and as mentioned before the new buildings at the Wilhelminapier.

Now, Rotterdam is a rapidly developing city with new buildings and all, maybe this doesn't matter that much for other parts of the Netherlands, but I'm just wondering whether we can expect a scenery that makes use of recent data. If not, not a big deal personally, I would still enjoy this scenery immensly because of the quality shown in all the screenshots so far, but as a local I'd love to see some of the recent buildings too :).

Really nice but there is a little issue with the football stadium markings, they are out of proportion and too clean/sharp looking.

The 6 yard box seems to be a 12 yard box for example.

Compare the 9th image in Op's post to the one below of real football pitch.

images.jpg

Edited by Danni
6 hours ago, AviationPro said:

Stunning stuff so far, really looking forward to this one! One thing I'm wondering about though: how old is the data that you use for the buildings and textures? Living in Rotterdam myself, like Alexander in the post above, I do notice some stuff is missing. I can imagine it's hard to keep up with that kind of stuff and I hate to be negative at previews, but I'm just wondering about the age of the data.

Take for example the logo ABN Amro bank on top of the Euromast. It was changed to Rabobank late 2009. Makes me wonder about the other buildings, because a lot has changed in the mean time: think about the Markthal near Blaak area, the new Central Station with its iconic shape, and as mentioned before the new buildings at the Wilhelminapier.

Now, Rotterdam is a rapidly developing city with new buildings and all, maybe this doesn't matter that much for other parts of the Netherlands, but I'm just wondering whether we can expect a scenery that makes use of recent data. If not, not a big deal personally, I would still enjoy this scenery immensly because of the quality shown in all the screenshots so far, but as a local I'd love to see some of the recent buildings too :).

You would expect an up to date representation of the city buildings frankly.

I can't see any reasons the devs cannot simply check Google Earth to ensure they are up to date with landmark buildings.

https://earth.app.goo.gl/wXQc2

31 minutes ago, Danni said:

I can't see any reasons the devs cannot simply check Google Earth to ensure they are up to date with landmark buildings.

Not necessarily.  Because source data is obtained at a particular point in time, scenery representation tends to be true to that moment.  Keeping track of all changes to scenery objects once the conversion into sim ready data is just not practical.  I'm sure the devs will be doing their best to keep the product up to date, but don't expect miracles, it's just not that easy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, Danni said:

Perhaps you would care to check Google Earth and see what logo is on top of the Euromast?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Perhaps you would care to check Google Earth and see what logo is on top of the Euromast?

I see the new Rabobank logo using the 3D feature of Google Earth, and that's exactly the point why I wondered why the old, pre-2010, ABN logo was modelled in the preview screenshots, which led to the question about the age of the data used and the lack of the new buildings mentioned before in this topic.

Those new buildings are also visible on Google Earth. If you have hardware acceleration off and checking using Google Maps though, you might only see old 2d images without the new buildings mentioned (at least on my side).

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Why would I do that?

I didn't say anything about the Euromast or logos

I provided a link with an almost perfect representation of the same angle of the screenshot to show how a simple check of google Earth shows the skyline of the landmark buildings modelled in that shot were outdated.

Perhaps you would like to check you are making relevant points?

55 minutes ago, John Dow said:

Not necessarily.  Because source data is obtained at a particular point in time, scenery representation tends to be true to that moment.  Keeping track of all changes to scenery objects once the conversion into sim ready data is just not practical.  I'm sure the devs will be doing their best to keep the product up to date, but don't expect miracles, it's just not that easy.

I wouldn't expect perfect representations at all, that would be silly.

What I am saying is that where landmarks are being modelled then they should represent a present version of that area.

It is constructive criticism and I'm looking forward to the final product for Xplane.

Edited by Danni

Well

A whole country made in such detail and quality and questioned just becuase of an old logo? The expression for that is seeing the tiny black dot in a two kilometers square white page.

If Orbx would do Costa Rica in such detail I wouldn't mind at all an old building or so and a lot less an old logo.

Even though I understand the constructive criticim. We all expect realism at its best, and quality and accurateness is important but I would be more thankful than critic, after all is it a game.

We have to keep in mind that Data to recreate the world is ancient some times. So I think they do their best. Also you know this because you live there (maybe)  but it migh be a fact thousands of people would have never noticed (like me)  I mean that it is an issue that could happen to developers too, who might never seen an area they recreate, maybe it is not the case of such famous country as the Netherlands but I think it is a good point to consider. I think.

Just my personal opinion if you don't mind me sharing. Let's wait fot its launch and let us all enjoy it  :)

Cheers

Carlos

• Like 1

Hi Danni,

You need to reset your expectations significantly. Orbx is not Google (the second largest company in the world in 2017 with revenue of $579 Billion) which has spent tens of billions of dollars on mapping the entire planet which now extends to Street View and 3D objects in Google Earth. We don’t have the sort of money required to purchase the latest imagery or models of buildings, and in fact Google’s data isn’t even available for commercial use even if we wanted to spend millions of dollars on it (which we don’t).

I see you have now posted about this more than several times so please please refrain from focusing on small details on a building’s logo when we are providing a whole country for the cost of a few pizzas.

If you insist on pursuing this critique based on unrealistic expectations I will ask the moderators to hide your posts from view.

• Like 5