I love to fly low and slow, but I have a problem with the spray around waterfalls..It's far too big..Is there a way to reduce this effect? Teecee.

Yosemite waterfall.jpg

Teecee,

I'm pretty sure that RTMM has found a method of cutting down the spray effect.  You might ask or search the forums on their site.

The water spray problem is real, particularly for P3D v3 and v4.

The effects were designed for FSX and have not been updated to P3D.

That is my observation anyway. Also true at 3w5 where you have spray effects for the rapids in the river: tested in FSX, they look just fine (as originally designed), but in P3Dv3 and v4, they are completely wrong.

I don't know that Orbx will fix that.

Actual shots at 3W5

in FSX:

FSX.thumb.jpg.a40594aae6ec18c0030612d932ce55d4.jpg

in P3Dv3.4.22:

P3Dv3.thumb.jpg.b18b8a9e90c970ea13ae03aff6667584.jpg

Cheers,

Pierre

11 hours ago, teecee said:

love to fly low and slow, but I have a problem with the spray around waterfalls..It's far too big..Is there a way to reduce this effect? Teecee.

Hi Teecee,

It seems like each sim and each version of the sim treats the alpha (transparency value) in the effect slightly differently. It's like chasing your tail. As soon as you make a version of the effect that looks good in sim version x, it does not look that hot in version x+0.1.  I think that the easiest solution is to edit the effect file yourself by changing the alpha value until you like what you see on your machine, your video card, your settings. Effect files are text files, so you just change  a few  numbers. If you want to try it, I'll tell you how. (Of course if you edit effect files, they are for your own use only.)

Thanks Larry..Advice would be great.. The older I get the more complex simming becomes..I have no clue when it comes to editing files..Teecee

A lot of us would like to have a go at this Larry ..... if you could make this advice generally available, it would be greatly appreciated......cheers.

Hi guys, 

The suggestion above about changing the transparency of an effect was meant to apply to all effects that are partially transparent. This would include wakes, spray effects, smoke effects, some lights, etc. I finally gave up trying to keep up with customizing effects for each sim, to say nothing of each sim version. But that does not mean that you can't do it yourself if it's important to you.

I'll try to write up some general instructions on how to do this and post it on my blog. (I've got a number of other odds and ends about effects buried there.) The procedure is not hard, just tedious at times.

Hi guys,

Here's a link to some general instructions on how to change the intensity of effects. You may find that it's more trouble than it's worth, or you might end up having fun fixing things to your liking. The hardest part is finding the .fx file that is responsible for the effect you want to change. The rest is pretty easy, it just takes time.  Be sure you make a backup of the effect you are editing  in case you get into trouble.

https://larobinson22.wordpress.com/2018/03/13/how-to-adjust-the-intensity-of-an-effect/

• Like 3

Thanks for that Larry.... I'll have a dabble over the next few days. There are a few instances of disproportionate ocean spray off small rock outcrops just off the Aus east coast - they really do look absurd.

If I find the process too tedious, I'll just have to learn to avoid them.

Anyhow... cheers.