Hello!

I'm fairly new to flight sim but I've used both xp11 and p3d for some time now. Currently most active on p3d and I've got a taste for backcountry flying. At the moment I'm looking for a new region or two, to buy. Since I'm from the northern part of Europe I have little to no clue how the areas around US/Canada looks like and I'm mainly looking for regions located over there. I've done some googling on it but I need more advice regarding Orbx specifically. Right now I'm looking mostly at NCA, CRM (Idaho!?) and SAK (possibly NRM). Which region would you recommend to fly backcountry? (Please note that I have PNW, Australia and PNG already).

I am also on the fence of buying a new GA, single or twin prop and I've been looking at getting the M20r and the PA23 Aztec, they both seem to have got good reviews (more leaning on the Aztec). They are probably not the most typical backcountry planes (if at all? :P) but would it make some sense at all to fly any of those backcountry (No I'm not 100% strict, asking out of curiousity :-))? Also been looking at the Milviz DHC-3 Otter (it's on discount right now). But if you have any other recommendations I'm open-minded for it. (Wish there were a PC-6 Porter for p3d!! :D)

Also found this http://www.shortfield.com/sfx/ which seems like a neat addition to find places to fly! 

Kind regards,

/FBM

Edited by futurebreadmachine

Hi...

Yeah - I'd probably go with CRM to start - plenty of true bush strips around - wish ORBX would have included some really high definition backcountry airports to spice things up a bit - but - they're still enjoyable as is... I was flying out of McCall Idaho IIRC for my backcountry adventures in southern Idaho... Make sure you turn off "Frozen Lakes and Rivers" or you get some weird texture issues... For a bush plane I use the A2A C182 with the wheel pants removed... A STOL upgraded C182 with bush tires would be highly desirable as well... AS has been making a new PC-6 for years - LOL - perhaps it's competing with the CRJ for longest development cycle ever - haven't heard much on it lately...

Best of luck...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

I concur with Scott that Orbx CRM is good for back country bush flying. Also, Orbx Pacific Fjords (can't remember the three letter acronym) is a wonderful bush flying region as well. Lots of inlets, high mountains and, well fjords ;) Adds a good water landing element to your bush flying experience. In either case, you can't go wrong with either of those two. I would also concur with Scott that the A2A 182 works great as bush plane, even though their version is not a specific bush plane. Still, like Scott said, you can take off the wheel pants, and also in the A2A version, it has incredible STOL ability, so it works well for bush strips. Alternatively, the DHC-2 and DHC-3 are both very good bush plane options.

Hello

For your new GA Plane - I have both in my hangar. So far, I have only made short flights with the Piper PA23 Aztec, But also a nice plane!

I bought the M20R OVATION a month ago, it's a fast-paced plane, it's very fast for a single-engine, rising to 20,000 feet. I had made a couple round-trip from WN40 - Coupeville Airpark, to 09S - Sullivan Lake State Airport and back with ease and comfort.  Had these been business trips (well I guess they were), I was able to leave home in the late morning (9:00 AM) fly more than 600 miles away and arrive in time for a late dinner. This is just not possible via the airlines. 

And I didn’t have to take my shoes off for anyone.

Ted
Edited by TedRuby

13 minutes ago, Ken Terry said:

New Zealand South Island.  Fantastic!

Cheers

Ken

That's true Ken, it's a nice Island and you can explore a lot..... :-)

Ted

• Like 1

Hey guys, thanks for all the input! I might go with CRM and NCA then (NCA seems diverse so I get a little bit of everything). NZ will have to wait until next sale I think, haha otherwise my wallet will slap my face :P As for the birds, I'm really excited when I see a A2A but they kinda scare be off at the same time because they seem so advanced, but I dunno, maybe it's just a matter of time and learning, like most things..! Will probably get a twin in any case, might ponder some more over the single prop...

And as a side note, I happened to come across a freeware PC-6 which is decent enough :D Sounds werent working at first but after some tweaking I think I got it alright..!

Cheers!

Don't overlook the C-185 Bush Plane by Carenado.  It is a great bush plane.  

With it, you can fly off airport, floats, amphib, and of course straight wheels. 

It is faster than most and will get in and out of those primitive strips cut out of the forest.

As for a first purchase, I would go with PNW.  It has every type of flying you could want, Mountain Flying, Floatplane Bases, Farm Strips, and of course, Major and GA Airports.

From there I would go to CRM which is loaded with small freeware airports.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=16TLldaoxxmFv7wOWfYyM8zV-bgM&ll=61.51221638411366%2C-118.6962880625&z=5

I never fly into the major hubs, my 75 knot approach speed drives the Bus Drivers nuts, and I hate it when the controllers are screaming at me to get off the runway before that big jet runs over me.  :(  

They will hunt you down, both pilots and airlines if you cause a go-around. 

Dale

• Like 1

Hi Folks,

Just don't use the default Maule - I was just messing around the other day - some back country strip in Idaho - couldn't get the Maule off the ground in what I would have expected - so I plopped down the A2A Cherokee to compare - LOL - the Cherokee I could get off the ground in half the space it took the Maule to get airborne - and I think it should be the other way around...

:P

I miss that incredible freeware Maule pack we had in FS9...

Regards,
Scott

Edited by scottb613

Hello Everyone,

My first post here in the forums since purchasing FTX CRM for FSX.  I started there since I live in the region and have been doing a lot of flights in the mountains of Central Idaho.  When I purchased and installed FTX CRM I ticked the box to have the lakes and rivers frozen in winter.  I though that would be "cool", pardon the pun.  Of course it was late summer when I purchased it, so had to wait for winter.

Now that winter has arrived and spring is around the corner I have grown "tired" of seeing every lake, every stream, every river in Idaho frozen.  As I said, I live in this region and I assure you, in real life they are not frozen at all.  Problem is, I have no idea how to turn that option "off".  I have read through various threads here and elsewhere and everyone says "just turn them off", but no one ever explains how to do that.  Some say through the "control panel".  I have no idea where that control panel is.  I have looked at my installation, the folders, the manual and for the life of me I cannot find anyway to turn the ice off.

Randy

Hello,

welcome to the forums.

Open FTX Central\Click on the Vector icon\Click on the Control panel icon\Water features\untick Frozen Surface (in Winter only)\Click on Apply, wait until it says it has finished\Close FTX Central\Fly

Thank you sir.  I honestly never thought to look in FTX Central.  I thought that was for downloading and installing a new product, not for configuring an existing one.

Again, thank you.

Awesome product.  Saving up for FTX NRM next...and maybe an airport or three.

Randy

On 1/29/2018 at 11:19 AM, Gypsy Pilot said:

Don't overlook the C-185 Bush Plane by Carenado.  It is a great bush plane.  

With it, you can fly off airport, floats, amphib, and of course straight wheels. 

It is faster than most and will get in and out of those primitive strips cut out of the forest.

As for a first purchase, I would go with PNW.  It has every type of flying you could want, Mountain Flying, Floatplane Bases, Farm Strips, and of course, Major and GA Airports.

From there I would go to CRM which is loaded with small freeware airports.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=16TLldaoxxmFv7wOWfYyM8zV-bgM&ll=61.51221638411366%2C-118.6962880625&z=5

I never fly into the major hubs, my 75 knot approach speed drives the Bus Drivers nuts, and I hate it when the controllers are screaming at me to get off the runway before that big jet runs over me.  :(  

They will hunt you down, both pilots and airlines if you cause a go-around. 

Dale

Map link very useful

Thanks

TTM

One could try the snake river canyon for some bush flying, home base Lewiston ID. 

North and South NZ is unique, and very enjoyable (for me) up and down the coastlines. 

16 hours ago, MotoDave said:

One could try the snake river canyon for some bush flying, home base Lewiston ID. 

North and South NZ is unique, and very enjoyable (for me) up and down the coastlines. 

NZ North Island Napier to New Plymouth will take you past 4 volcanoes.

South Island Nelson to Westport, Greymouth, Hokitika & back over the Alps to Christchurch or Dunedin is a good run.

TTM

Here is a great example of what Backcountry and Bush Flying can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCf5UZAdMIM

I don't know about the rest of you but I would be more than happy to pay region prices for Utah.

Without a doubt, it is one of the most scenic areas of the US.

This would be a great challenge for the mesh designers.

Dale

Been doing a bit of reading about real-life Alaskan Bush pilots. They seem to favor Super Cubs, Cessna 182 and 185, Norseman, Beaver, Otter (single and twin), & Pilatus Porter. All these planes operate in wheel/float/ski versions. with the floats seeming to be the preferred all-around choice. Some of the outfits continue to use the DC-3 as a base from which other options then generate. The Basler turboprop rebuild DC-3 rebuild also gets some mention. The more I read, the more I respect those mavericks who find one sort of plane or another and head up north to make their fortune. 

There are many proposals done but one area is missing that needs much more attention: - Australia -

In this regard OZx does an excellent and out standing job designing "tons" of freeware sceneries spread all over this continent, suitable for FSX and all P3D versions.

Sceneries are based on Orbx Australia and Holgermesh for Australia.

I recommend to visit this webpage and getting familiar what is offered there:

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php

This will greatly enrich your field of activity in matters of bush flying.

Edited by Dieter
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 2/12/2018 at 8:50 AM, spud said:

Low n' Slow bush flying puts you "into" the scenery and is an excellent experience.

Do not overlook the premier freeware bush flying site Return to Mist Moorings.

Return to Misty Moorings - Home Page

I loved Misty Moorings on FSX and one day I am going to re-install in V3.  

There is so much to do and see in Misty that it can almost be considered a separate sim, in fact, I plan to devote my v3 to Misty with only the Northern Pacific Coast scenery turned on. 

Dale

4 hours ago, Gypsy Pilot said:

I loved Misty Moorings on FSX and one day I am going to re-install in V3.  

There is so much to do and see in Misty that it can almost be considered a separate sim, in fact, I plan to devote my v3 to Misty with only the Northern Pacific Coast scenery turned on. 

Dale

Dale,

the new Return to Misty Moorings is better than ever with hundreds of freeware destinations including flying the Alaska Pipeline.

On 2/17/2018 at 4:22 PM, spud said:

Dale,

the new Return to Misty Moorings is better than ever with hundreds of freeware destinations including flying the Alaska Pipeline.

Thanks Spud, 

I am going to devote my V3 to Misty.

I sure miss visiting Misty's Place, one of my favorite places land.

I am looking forward to doing over 800 miles of Pipeline Patrol from Valdez to Prudhoe Bay in my big wheel C-185 with the weather turned all the way up sounds like my type of flying.

If a Bush Pilot's knuckles aren't white he ain't a havin' no fun. :wacko:

Dale

On 1/27/2018 at 4:52 AM, TedRuby said:

I bought the M20R OVATION a month ago, it's a fast-paced plane, it's very fast for a single-engine, rising to 20,000 feet.

At 20,000 feet, I sure hope you brought along a couple of Oxy bottles..

I prefer the C172 and C182RG (default FSX and FS9 aircraft) for my bush flights, usually around Northern and Central Rockies down into Death Valley. And I just love the Circle Route of ORBx airports in PNG (courtesy of the AYPY Jacksons airport). I am hoping they will develop the Solomon Islands, and if we can persuade them, Indonesia to the Malay Peninsula. And one day, Japan and the Himalayas of Central Asia.

On 2/11/2018 at 8:28 PM, bruce e said:

Check this out, all freeware    <OZx AU Complete>     Many more available from their download page

Sadly, the OZx website has been the target of another Hack Attack and the site is currently down (since at least April). As reported on another post in the forum, Jae Kay is attempting to resurrect the website, but speculation is that he may never get the site up and running again.

Hopefully he and others may create another site so we may again get access to these magnificent freeware Aussie sceneries.